1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberal / Conservative

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by BIC, Oct 11, 2006.

1. BIC

BIC New Member

Are you a Liberal or a Conservative? What beliefs or commonalites do you side with. Do you feel there is division in the country concerning these?

Peace

BIC

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hi BIC,

You might get more of a response if you said where you were going with this - your purpose in asking. This topic has been hashed & rehashed.

Also, I don't quite get what you mean when you ask about beliefs and commonalities - that's overly vague.

If you want a BIG response, misrepresent one group or another, say "Liberals believe such and such" or "Conservatives always do this and that" and get it wrong.

Polls get fairly good responses, too.

Good luck.

3. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

I personally don't think that political terms such as liberal or conservative make sense or should be used when referring to one's belief(s). The terms are very relative and can mean very different things depending on the circles you travel in. Also the two, religious and political terms, can get a bit muddy. For example one may be a liberal in the political realm and a "conservative" would go so far as to doubt their salvation.
    I would call myself liberal politically.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't doubt the salvation of liberal Christians, but I do doubt the depth of their committment to the Biblical principles that should guide our lives.:tear:

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

AMEN!

And to say that a conservative Christian doubts the salvation of liberal Christians would, to me, imply that at least one liberal is not comfortable with his committment to the Biblical principles set forth in the Word of God . . . .

6. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

no not really, i live in a place where to say you are not a republican or believe in their ideas is almost like saying you don't believe in the virgin birth.

7. BIC

BIC New Member

Which of the two are more in touch with christian values?

BIC

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Whichever one I favor, of course.

9. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My biggest problem with the whole issue is the generalities that get thrown around. "All liberals are . . ." All conservatives are . . ." My experience is that people's views are a mixture. There are different realms: religious, social, political, economic, (I'm sure there are others). A person can hold positions that fall in different places on the continua of the different realms. A good example is the Sojourners community in Washington, DC. Socially and politically, they tend to be more liberal, but, religiously, they are more conservative. I guess the determinative question is whether you deal with each particular issue on its merits or merely parrot some party line.

Tim Reynolds

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Ah man, you've gone and summed up my main argument on this forum - and better than I ever did, too.

11. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

It says to me that at least one conservative "christian" puts politics over his Christianity. We know that no one can serve two masters so this implies that the conservative is serving Politics rather than Christ.

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Although I was a conservative for most of my life, I had an epiphany, and found that I swung hard left. The closer I get to God the more liberal I become - politically that is.

Not sure that I understand this question.

Absolutely, and it is by design.

God's Blessings to you, BIC,
    BiR

13. billwald

billwald New Member

Compromise and join the Libertarians.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Compromise? Compromise requires politicians . . .

:saint:

15. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

"Republican -- think of Republicans as very disciplined fanatics.

And then think of Democrats as totally undisciplined neurotics"

-TOM OLIPHANT

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Very funny! :thumbs:

17. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Both parties march in lockstep to the leadership. No one on either side of the aisle can think independently. If Pelossi says "attack!" all the Democrats attack. It's ridiculous. John McCain is the one guy who tries to breech that wall between the two sides, but his private life disqualifies him from serving, as far as I am concerned. Anyone who votes in favor of same-sex marriage, homosexuality as a civil right, abortion on demand (including partial-birth), will not get my vote. Guess which party endorses each of those? The Democrats. How anyone can say that they are swinging toward the liberal side of the coin is beyond me. The liberal side, the Democrats, advocate socialized medicine, the federal government operating our schools from pre-school thru university, over-riding states rights, support of a Supreme Court which will endorse all of the above ~~ all at taxpayer expense, of course. There is no such thing as a "federal" budget. It is your money and mine. Every program espoused by the Demon-crats since the so-called "Great Society" of Lyndon Baines Johnson has thrown your money, my money at "the problem," resulting in zero benefits for anyone. The idea that the federal government can save the nation through spending is ludicrous. That function belongs to the states. Close all offices in Washington, D.C. Return government by, for, and of the people to the states. Send tax dollars to the states, not the feds. The states can then send 10% to the feds to operate the military and postal service. Every member of Congress would be required to remain in his/her home state throughout his/her term in office. They can communicate and vote via these marvelous computers. Bush has the most sophisticated communications equipment on earth. Move it into the barn in Crawford. :tongue3:

18. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Homosexuality? George W. Bush. He's appointed a record number of homosexuals to offices in his administration. He even invited the openly-gay Log Cabin Republicans into the WH. And he has said that gay marriage should be up to each state.

Abortion? George W. Bush is in favor of abortion, for incest or rape.

He's democrat lite.

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Which means that the only peopl who are "really" Christian are the ones who agree with you politically, huh?

Which Biblical principles do you mean? The ones which promote justice and mercy, or just the ones abut who someone supposedly can and cannot sleep with?

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now which god is that? I frankly, don't understand that a Christian that understands even a little about politics, can be a Democrat.