1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberal / Conservative

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by BIC, Oct 11, 2006.

1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

God is not a Republican.

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

No, God isn't. But there is a breakaway faction of angels who are... :smilewinkgrin: WFTH-I

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Although I do understand how a person can be a Christian and be a republican, I just don't see how they can be a republican and be a very good Christian.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Then you aren't paying attention.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Comments like this are so unbelievable. God does not belong to any political party. The tens of millions of Christian Democrats would beg to differ, as would many Christian Republicans. You really need to expand your thinking to understand that God is not a politician, and the GOP doesn't own God.

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

There are some issues where my political opinions are based on my moral and religious beliefs. The easiest one of these is abortion. But there are other issues where even if they are addressed by the Bible like capital punishment the Bible does not clearly prohibit or endorse them.

Most political issues are not addressed by the Bible at all. What does the Bible say about immigration, capital gains taxes, the clean air act, or gun control? These issues are not determined by our faith but by our mind and because of that sincere honest Christians can have a variety of opinions.

The truth is that political involvement itself can supplant God in our lives. His kingdom is not of this world and our entire lives should not be wrapped up worrying about or trying to affect the political kingdoms of this world.

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Actually, the Bible has a lot to say about welcoming the stranger and treating the foreigner justly; it has a lot to say about stewardship both of our posessions and of the planet we have been given; it has a lot to say about forgiveness and turning the other cheek. Thus these issues are perhaps not determined by our faith, but they must certainly be informed by our faith.

The first sentence of your last paragraph is spot-on. However, I think that part and parcel of our call to live Christlike lives compels us to encourage the political kingdoms of this world to operate justly.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have been voting Republican for years, especially at the federal level, and that is about the most ignorant statement I have heard on this board. The fact is that both parties are pig styes of filth, corruption, and self serving power. To equate either party with any aspect of Christianity, the Lord, the Bible, or anything else Holy is a blasphemy.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Now don't be afraid to tell us how you really feel.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My primary inclination is libertarian (small "l") and believe that to be the most consistent with biblical principle. It makes man responsible before God and free to act in accordance with his beliefs but fully responsible for the consequences. This is the NT ideal. In this respect, I find any notion of social welfare to be wholly unbiblical and a direct affront to the gospel. It makes gov't an intecessor between God and man... and interferes in man's rightful accountability for the choices he makes.

The Bible lays the responsibility for charity at the feet of individuals and churches. It also says that if a man won't work he shouldn't eat and is foul if he won't care for his OWN family (ie instead of Social Insecurity and Medislavery). If people knew they had to work for themselves or else humbly ask others for help, there would be far fewer taking advantage of the "system". As it is, many have the idea that they are entitled to demand help from those who earn it simply because they can rationalize not working for themselves.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even here, the best answer is the libertarian/small gov't one.

Decentralize power and there is alot less incentive to be corrupt... and a lot less impact even if they are. I think a return to the level we had about 100 years ago would be good... roughly 7% of gdp. Just enough for national defense and the strictly constitutional functions. That'd be about 25% of the current size.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Scott, I have to agree with the above statement. Yes, lately, I have done a lot of reading on third parties. The concepts of the Constitution Pary are something that appeals to me. Not certain this is the answer yet.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish the CP was the answer but they seem to be hyper-isolationists which I believe is very dangerous in the world we live in. There is a false illusion out there that if we leave radical Islam alone then the terrorists will leave us alone. This can only be founded upon a completely false idea about the nature of their motives. Our ideals are dangerous to the success of what they see as their religious mission in the world.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I'd vote Libertarian if it weren't for their completely irrational and incongruent stand on abortion. How people so otherwise consistent and logical about genuine "rights and liberties" can miss that the child's right to live supercedes a woman's "right" to evade the responsibility of a free choice is completely beyond me.

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I'm willing to bet that they think, as I do, that the best way to care for the unborn is by attacking the problem at the source.

16. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Hillclimber1,

Once again, you have lowered the bar with respect to your foolishness.
    First of all, you know very well of which God I speak.
    Secondly, please show all of us where I have ever identified myself as a Democrat. Take your time and go take a look at my posts and find where I have ever stated that I am a Democrat. Don't make this an integrity issue for yourself.......

BiR

17. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Allright saturnneptune, since you voted Republican, you're corruption is upon your head of your own testimony.

I did not equate either party with Christianity, I merely meant that a Christian with any knowledge of the Bible and knowledge of the political platforms of both parties, could not be a Democrat. They are almost complete in succumbing to satanic influence. The liberals (very evil) that have taken over control of that once good party have turned it into a political hatchet, destroying anything that is good.

It is foolish to abandon the Republican party now, because the probability of 2 more Supreme court appointees is high during the last 2 years of the Bush administration. We desperately need a filibuster proof Congress at that time, or our (GWB's) efforts at rebuilding the Supreme Court will have proven only temporary. No matter who follows President Bush, the direction of this nation will be decidedly downhill.

Read more of the non-believers posts on here if you want real ignorance.
    The most ignorant statement on here ever......pahleees

18. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

The Religious Right must fight to the end. America, supported by the RR is a force for righteousness up till the rapture removes the restraint we provide. At that time, America will fall very fast and very hard. Those left behind will face the tribulation and no one is less equiped for it than Americans. This knowlege is NOT a reason to cave in to the evil from the liberals, but a calling to fight with all we've got to the end.

19. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Fair enough BiR, If you are not a Democrat I owe you a very big apology, and hereby offer it if due.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Baloney, "to abandon the republican party now is foolish." (you can put the r in caps if you want to). It takes a lot of gall to make republicans look holier than democrats. Trash is trash, and sin is sin, it stinks in the sight of a Holy God.

Your premise that democrats cannot be Christian is nonsense, as is saying republicans are holy. The two subjects of a Holy God and politicians should not even be allowed in the same sentence.