1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Liberal Kirsten Powers Converted

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 14, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God is good and his grace is good. Stephen told his audiance they do "always resist" the Holy Ghost even as did their fathers because that is the depraved nature (Rom. 8:7). But the new heart God gives in regeneration does not resist, neither does God give an unbelieving heart but a believing heart. Of course the Arminians have no use for a "new" heart as they are perfectly fine with their "old" heart which is at war with God and is not subject to the law of God and NEITHER INDEED CAN BE."

I am thankful God gave me a NEW heart and a NEW inward man and a NEW birth - all being one and the same thing.

2. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

There you go! THAT'S what I'm talking about.:thumbs::thumbs: A little more honesty and you will almost be out of the closet. Calvinists need to just come right out and say what they really believe: that you can't be saved unless you're a Calvinist, and that God doesn't love everybody.

Then once they are really honest about what they believe, they have to explain how us Non Cals are seeking God and love Him, when their theology says that no man can seek God.

3. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

So which comes first, the non resistance or the new heart? Calvinists will never get straight on their theology.

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The Arminians can't deal with the truth, so they pervert our words, put into our mouths words we never said, never will say and yet they convince themselves we believe such things.

A saved person is one who simply sees himself to be a sinner and sees Christ as the only hope and all sufficient One to save him by simple faith.

No, you do not have to enroll in the school of Calvinism to be saved or enroll in the school of Arminianism. But if anyone is saved it will not contradict the truth that we preach and teach but it will contradict the tenets of Arminians every single time.

So there are a lot of saved people who have been later been misled (Arminians) to embrace false teachings.

Now, watch them twist my words and deny what I said! I said you don't have to embrace Calvinism to be saved but you will never be saved apart from the truth we teach.

#24 The Biblicist, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  5. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

And Calvinists can tell the difference between a premise and a conclusion:

PREMISE: God hath from eternity determined ALL THINGS whatsoever cometh to pass:

CONCLUSION: God is the author of sin

Calvinist: "I never said that [premise]"

And now you are equivocating again. You said IF you are saved, then you won't contradict the Bible. Contradicting the Bible would be disagreeing with Calvinism. Thus all who disagree with Calvinism are not saved. When you will Calvie's just be honest about your real convictions? If God causes you to "persevere" then why can't you Calvie's stop lying about what you really believe about Non Calvinists?

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You have got to be kidding? Is this a serious question? The old heart/nature NEVER changes, never ceases to resist (Rom. 7:18). The new heart as empowered by the Holy Spirit dominates between the two and it NEVER resists, never succumbs to unbelief because it is created in "righteousness and true holiness" after the image of God (Col. 3:10).

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In heaven, there is joy in the presence of angels over her salvation... while on earth the result is let's argue about Calvinism.

We live in a strange weird world.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You need to get out more and broaden your reading. I know this is an exercise of futility to even address people like you as you neither have the willingness to be objective or the capability to deal honestly with your opponents, but for the sake of others who are objective I will respond to this silly argument.

First, the premise is not that simplex as you present it. If it were, then your conclusions would be correct. Not all "calvinists" fit within your little box you try to force them into.

God's eternal purpose for sin is much more complex. God never ever delights or takes pleasure in sin but he does intentionally permit it and limits and overrules it (Psa. 76:10) to conform to His ultimate purpose by which he does actually work "ALL" things for the ultimate good of His people and His glory.

God is the author of sin POTENTIAL as He is the author of the ability that can be used to bring sin into existence. However, he is not the author of the ACT of sin which he has decreed and made to be the responsiblity of the ACTOR of sin.

9. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

#29 Inspector Javert, Jul 15, 2013
  10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

#30 The Biblicist, Jul 15, 2013
  11. Inspector Javert

12. Inspector Javert

13. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Then what is the old nature really resisting? If the new nature is not actually fighting the old nature, then the old nature is not actually ever resisting anything at all, and yet you say it is ALWAYS resisting. Yet it is that same old nature that was resisting the Holy Ghost in Acts 7:51. If the Holy Spirit totally bypassed that, then those in Acts 7 couldn't rightfully said to have been truly resisting anything.

And yes, that is a logical question, which came first, the non resistance or the the new heart because you can't not resist until you have the new heart, but you can't have the new heart until your resistance is broken. A fatal flaw in Calvinist logic.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was a Calvinist? Rom 3:11 is in my translation.

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, your question is logical and a good question. Let me attempt to answer it in a fair and objective manner and follow my reasoning carefully.

I believe that the fallen nature is not eradicated from my person by regeneration based upon volumous sciptures that clearly state both by inference and explicitly that the "old" man must be put off and the law of sin still indwells us (Rom. 7:18-25; Gal. 5:16) and the repeated need to walk in the Spirit. There is still an internal war going on.

Hence, the same old nature still exists but in a different POSITION within me. It has been REMOVED from its position of TOTAL DOMINIANCE in regard to my ruling inclination. The new birth has changed my ruling inclination to be toward righteousness. However, this inclination to righteousness has no inherent power in and of itself to carry out those inclinations as clearly stated in Romans 7:18 and Gal. 5:16. Hence, the old heart is removed as the dominant inclination. The "old' man is still very much alive and existent and has not changed at all except in its position of absolute dominance. The new heart is in the dominante position in regard to INCLINATION. Rom. 7:18 spells this new dominant inclination WITHOUT POWER that now exists within the regenerated man. The power to enforce that DOMINANT INCLINATION to righteousness resides not in our will but in the Person of the Holy Spirit whereby we can mortify the old flesh.

16. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Coming from you that's funny that I should read more when you claimed to have lead the revolt against Calvinism in college having never read Calvin by your own admission. I, however HAVE read Calvin-and Gill, and Jones, Edwards, Whitefield, Kennedy, Sproul, Pink, Piper, MacArthur, Boettner, et al.. I was a Calvinist long before I was a Baptist after leaving Judaism. So I'd say I am distinctly more read on Calvinism, and have forgotten more about Calvinism than you will ever learn.

And show me scripture and verse that shows God is POTENTIALLY the author of sin. If that's true then He is POTENTIALLY the creator of libertarian free will and now you're back at square on scratching your head saying "how did I get here?".

How can God create the POTENTIAL to sin, with no guarantee that sin will ACTUALLY HAPPEN in order for Him to exercise His sovereignty over those He has predetermined for damnation? If God only POTENTIALLY authored sin, then He hung is own determination to chance, but yet if He determines ALL THINGS, and cause the will of the sinner to do what it can not do otherwise, which as a result, guarantees that the sinner WILL sin, then ultimately, God is STILL the author of sin.

I know that may be a little deep for you but think about it for a while.

17. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Paul never murdered anyone after he got saved, nor sprinkled babies, nor believed that the Holy Spirit was "spiritually present" in the sacrements, and Paul was premillennial. Not very much in common with Calvin.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Question beg much?

Notice how the arrogant calvinist casts all non Cal's amongst the swine of the lost.

19. Inspector Javert

Quite well put!! :wavey:
    I would also agree with you completely here.....Nice Post sir. :godisgood:

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It is resisting all external influences of God. It is resisting assaults of God's Word upon the mind. It is resisting the witness of Christians. It is resisting the truth.

You are confusing resistance to external influences of God with internal influenes of God. Prior to regeneration there is NOTHING within man's nature compatible with God and so the resistance is to EXTERNAL influences of God. In the New birth God now places an INTERNAL nature compatible with God that the old nature now resists INTERNALLY. The placement of this NEW nature within man is not due to the lack of resistance by the old nature but due to the power of God. Regeneration is the creation of a new believing nature that is empowered by the Holy Spirit manifested by repentance and faith in the gospel. There is no chronological order any more than between the bullet and a hole as it is a simeltaneous action but there is a logical order of cause and effect - spirutal life precedes spiritual actions.

#40 The Biblicist, Jul 15, 2013