1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberalism 101

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Sopranette, Mar 15, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I don't know where you came up with this but here's what the Online Webster's Dictionary says:

Liberal
    Adjective
    http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/liberal

1. Showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions".
    2. Having political or social views favoring reform and progress.

3. Tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition.
    4. Given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather".
    5. Not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem".

Conservative
    http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/conservative

Adjective
    1. Resistant to change.
    2. Opposed to liberal reforms.
    3. Avoiding excess; "a conservative estimate".
    4. Unimaginatively conventional; "a colorful character in the buttoned-down, dull-gray world of business"- Newsweek.
    5. Conforming to the standards and conventions of the middle class; "a bourgeois mentality".

You know that the top translations are the closest to reality if they fit the context. These certainly fit the context. Do you see the reference to reform and progress for liberal and resistant to change for conservative? This is exactly the point I was making.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll buy that. Conservatives are typically resistant to the excesses of progressive liberal change. We resist the change to kill more unborn children, put more people on welfare, destroy the effective and God ordaineded family by accepting and implementing homosexual marriage. We are resistant to the liberal leftist ideologies that will destroy this country.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point it looks like the conservative rightist ideologies may do that first unless President Bush resists the siren calls of the neo-cons to attack Iran - www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=48068.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The President holds to some conservative polices but is not an over all conservative. His uncosntitutional expansion of government and spending on the federal level is quite liberal.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HTML:

I would say that, for example, by reducing taxes that we will have progress

Bottom line, let me spend my money, and I will let you spend your money. Fair enough? If you want to blow your money on cancer sticks, thats your business, but dont get mad at me if I wont take you shopping if you run out of grocries.

Salty