1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Libertarians to be recognized in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 23, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In one of the toughest states to attain ballot status in the United States(only Oklahoma is worse) the Libertarian Party has accomplished a great political feat. :thumbs:

Libertarians to be recognized

By Mark Binker
    Staff Writer
    Thursday, May. 22, 2008 11:55 am

There will be a new political party in town before the day is out.

North Carolina Elections Director Gary Bartlett said he is about to sign a letter that will give the Libertarian Party the same status as Republicans and Democrats in North Carolina.

The Libertarians have been a party in North Carolina before, but lost their status due to stringent ballot access laws that require party candidates to attract a certain number of votes.

Party officials said they delivered petitions with 72,935 signatures to the State Board of Elections.

"They have sufficient numbers to be recognized as a new party," Bartlett said.

Starting today, voters will be able to register as Libertarians and Libertarian candidates chosen by the party will be put on the fall election ballot.

- www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080522/NRSTAFF/916487807

2. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

OK Ken

I went to the website of your beloved libertarian party

http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtml

And I found these startling facts about them.

1. They are against a military draft. (If a man is not willing to fight for his his freedom, then he doesnt deserve to have it.)

2. They are pro abortion.

3. They are advocating that we repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, and allow gays to marry.

4. They want to repeal all anti drug laws, and legalize drugs. They want to pardon all previously convicted drug offenders.

5. They want to deregulate all public utilities so that the utility companys can charge as much as they want to for their services.

6. They want to abolish the FCC so that TV and media can broadcast profanity and nudity without censorship.

I also saw where they mention that they are opposed to all taxation, but they dont say just how to fund the government. I will study the website more and try to decipher that one.

I dont see anything here but radical left wing politics. They are more or less just liberals/democrats that support gun rights??????????

Why are you so proud of this party platform? Especially from a christian standpoint?

I am really curious as to your answer.

AJ

#2 ajg1959, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    AJ you did bring up some good points, I know I didn't answer them all , but just wanted to get a few across.

But I may still vote for Bob Bar on the LP

#3 Salty, May 24, 2008
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A draft is slavery. The U.S. constitution outlaws slavery. If someone is drafted he/she is fighting unwillingly, not willingly.

Many libertarians are pro-life: www.l4l.org. Bob Barr is pro-life.

I believe in the separation of marriage and state. Marriage should be handled by churches, after all, it is called "holy matrimony".

Yes, the government should keep its nose out of what an adult person wants to put in his/her body.

There should be open competition among utilities, not government restrictions on who can offer these services.

The public airwaves should be privatized and should be sold to the highest bidder.

I don't see how one can consider advocating limited, constitutional government to be "radical left wing politics".

#4 KenH, May 24, 2008
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you realize the US Constitution does not prohibit a State/commonwealth from having a State religion?

Salty

The job of government is two fold:
    Protect me from others, not from myself
    provide for the general welfare* of all

This does not refer to welfare as we think of today (ie "welfare checks" rather, building roads, water systems, ect

#5 Salty, May 24, 2008
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A draft is involuntary slavery. Period.

The official stance is not pro-choice, it is goverrnment neutrality toward abortion.

Do you believe that marriage is holy matrimony? If so, then why are you concerned about atheists engaging in an activity that they do not believe in and in the government helping them to do so?

Lots of things other people do affects you, me, everyone. Just because they do is no reason for the government to eliminate individual, God-given liberty.

Christians could certainly purchase airwave frequencies.

Yes, I am quite aware of what states can do and I support the concept of states' rights within the confines of the U.S. constitution.

We will probably have lots of opportunities to discuss libertarian public policy in the months to come. :)

#6 KenH, May 24, 2008
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think our founders would be a bit off set by that statement. There is more than one way to serve your country and fight for freedom. A draft, in our nation's context, is not necessary.

==A major problem with the libertarian party. Abortion should be treated the same way as all other murder cases. I support charging doctors with first degree murder and mothers who willingly get abortions with manslaughter. We can't allow this crime to go unpunished.

==Marriage is not mainly a civil matter, it is a religious institution created by God for humanity. There is no such thing as "gay marriage" and anyone who believes there is will find themselves under the wrath of the Holy God (Rom 1:18ff).

==While I believe that some current drug laws need to be changed, this part of their position is very troubling.

==They already do that anyway. :tear:

I am all for a limited government, but I am not for anarchy. This is why I will stick with John McCain (R) in the elections.

#7 Martin, May 24, 2008
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all the Libertarian threads maybe we should combine them into one thread.:laugh:

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Should I mark you down as a yes vote for more authoritarian government then? The whole idea as I understand it behind limited government is to avoid an authoritarian state

Still working at that list of all the facts?

#9 poncho, May 24, 2008
  10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since your "question" totally misses the point I was making in my reply, I will ignore it.