1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Liberty and Me" Update!

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who might want to know:

El Guero told me to do this, so here we go. I copied and pasted it here so all who have an interest might see.

Originally Posted by Rhetorician
    To all who might be interested or who have been watching my situation:

I finished a series of phone interviews and such today with David Hirschman @ Liberty's Seminary. He said he would find a spot for me hopefully Jan 1 of 2007.

I originally wanted to teach in the Religion BA/BS degree DL program. But I got hooked up with him and it looks like he may actually use me. It seems that the BA thing did not work out or they just forgot about me or some such.

Anyway, I thought some of you just might want to know!

FYI! I hope and not TMI!

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

So there ya' go for whomever might really care?! (Sarcasm intended!).

And a second thing that some have been following that might be of interest.

The chapters of the Broadus Project, a volume of academic essays on his influence and legacy, have started coming in. I am feverishly editing them, doing re-writes, finishing my own chapter, and such.

:tonofbricks: That is how I feel as an editor!? Overwhelmed and confused!

Hopefully this is FYI and not TMI!

sdg!

rd

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Rhet

God's blessing on all you do,

Bill

3. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Welcome to the Liberty family. And if Jerry can convince all of us alumni to go for this expansion of the Lakin building there will likely be an explosion in the program coming soon. I received my request for funds in the mail yesterday. It looks like quite a project.

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Follow up?

I have a friend locally who is about to start with Liberty's Seminary.

He is going to do three sections of Church History and some sort of Theology course.

From the way he described the course material and load it seemed like an "academic light" to me.

Now, I know that that will benefit me when/if I do teach. But, I would love to have someone who is/was a Liberty alum to help me with this conundrum.

The work load just did not seem to be up to the level where I did all of my grad/professional work or grad school.

If fact, what I am requiring on the BS/BA level seems comparable to what his MDiv courses were.

Please give me some insight.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of requirements do you have for undergraduate work?

I'm in my last semester at a regionally accredited Baptist College (religion major), so I could tell compare your requirements to the ones I've had.

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Workload!

Stefan,

For the on line World Religion's course on the Blackboard delivery system they must: Read Huston Smith's World Religion's text as primary textbook and 3 attendant texts.

1. Read 100 pp. per week average if they do all that is required.

2. Do two weekly workbook exercises that coincide with the primary text readings. These alone should take about 3 hrs.

3. Do two critical book reviews during the semester APA format strict.

4. See Huston Smith's Videos in a "sit down" conversation, 5 videos 5 hrs each.

5. Write a one hour summary of each video in APA format strict.

6. Two exams, mid term and final.

It should be kept in mind that there is no lecture and that the student must work independently. It is all done on the Blackboard.

It should take or they should spend from 5-10 hrs per week or more average across the trimester.

If all things are equal and the work is done then I will have a "B" average for the class.

The textbook and attendant texts is what most universities use as the standard intro for World Religions survey.

FYI!:wavey:

sdg!

rd

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Factoring in the fact that this is an online class, it sounds comparable to my undergraduate courses in time and effort requirements.

If this is a lower-division class, it is a moderately heavy load, probably more demanding than most. If this is an upper-division course, it is probably a moderate load.

#7 StefanM, Oct 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Is it the graduate level (seminary- MAR/MDiv)? I have a MA/R from Liberty and I maily used their distance learning program to earn it. So if you are talking about graduate level courses I took each of the courses you are talking about. Is it academic light? No. However, like any school, some courses are harder than others. I had some classes that really caused me to struggle and others that I seemed to float through. However in each of my classes I noticed that my grades were higher than the class average. So the classes that I found easy someone else found hard. I also noticed that classes I found easy were subject matters that I had done alot of personal reading/studying in.

It was the same way during my year at Southeastern, and it is the same way in my current MA program. Some teachers are harder than others, some classes are harder than others, some subjects are harder than others, and all of that can be subjective.

==To be honest that does not surprise me. It has been my personal experience, with Liberty and Southeastern, that some seminary courses are not as tough as they should be. In fact when I look over syllabuses from various seminaries I see the same thing over and over again. Now that I am in a MA program at a secular University I have noticed that (a) it is more demanding than both Liberty and Southeastern, (b) that like LU and SEBTS some courses/teachers are harder than others, and (c) all of that can be subjective. Also keep in mind that you and I have graduate degrees in these subjects, so some of the assignments may seem easy to you and myself. However to others those same assignments maybe very difficult. I do know, however, that Liberty's program helped me alot. In my current program my grades are still higher than the class average (and many of my classmates have undergraduate degrees in history!). So keep in mind that the level of difficulty can be somewhat subjective. However I will say there was one class I took at LU that was disappointingly easy (Doctrine of God). If I recall there were several major papers (etc) but I breezed right through that class. Maybe it was just me, I don't know.

Btw, I am doing a GA this semester and in the spring as well. The thing just landed on my doorstep. I did not seek it out, I did not apply, or anything like that. A professor approached me about it and I was offered the GA after one interview. I was also approached about a part-time teaching position (not a GA) in the school's English Language Institute. I was going to teach American History and Landmarks to Chinese students. However I had already accepted the other position, and a friend of mine who really needed a job had also been approached about that teaching position, so I turned it down and they gave the job to my friend. Talk about win, win! I made the right choice though, I don't think that teaching job would have been right for me. She has had to work at a very basic level since most of these kids know very little about American History, Landmarks, or culture. She is good at that because she has worked in the public school system for a few years. It is amazing how the Lord provides at every step and turn (Romans 8:28!). Not only for me but also for my friends and the students.

Just to let you know!
    Martin

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet

You gotta make them earn that degree . . . make it hurt! They should be screeming "I quit!" when they read your syllabus . . .

:thumbs:

Your load sounds like about what a undergrad should be.

It was about what the 'load' was supposed to be on the only (graduate) internet class that I have taken - that was a debacle . . . and I never 'want' to take one again.

Some will be harder, and some will be at about your level of intensity.

God bless & congratulations!

Wayne

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I am so glad to hear you are doing well Rhet. Teach em what they need to know and I know you will,then you will have done your best for them. God bless you and your work my brother.:1_grouphug: