1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty Baptist is Back

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hi Martin,

Why do you think Baptist was put back into the name?

Do you really think it makes much difference either way?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Dr. Caner, they are putting Baptist back in the title to take "back a term that has been misused". Of course, in his mind part of that misuse is the title being applied to Calvinists who are Baptists. Does it make a real difference? Probably not. However it will cost a lot of money to change the title (again) and that cost will no doubt be passed on to current students at Liberty. As an alumni of Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary, I am glad to see Baptist back in the title. The name of the seminary once again matches the name on my degree: Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary of Liberty University.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33,

I am glad you are "alive and kicking!" It is good to hear from you as usual. I hope you and all of our colleagues here on the BB will have a merry Christmas and the most blessed of New Years in service to our Lovely Lord Jesus and His Kingdom.

I was wondering if you could elaborate or elucidate on the above quote? It is "conjecture?" Is is a "considered opinion?" Is it a "wish" you hope to come true? What would make one say such?

I must say that for one to assert that Dr. Caner is in any way trying to "take on" or compete with The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is rather a strange statement. Is it at all based in fact?

Please help me to understand and "fill in some of the blanks" for me.

Your humble servant in Christ!:praying:

I dare not use my usual moniker of "sdg" lest haply some here be offended?! Or, then again maybe most do not know what it means at all.:laugh:

Forever and fraternally yours!:thumbs:

rd

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sidebar Observation!

To all who have an interest in the Caner/Liberty/"Baptist" Name issue:

How does this present discussion place in the "Indoctrination" vs. "Investigation" continuum? What do they want, "Little Drones" running around? Or do they want people with an understanding of the Gospel who are able to think critically in a post-modern culture in an America that is failing and falling fast?

The "Continuum" might look something like this:

"Indoctrination" -5-4-3-2-1 0 +1+2+3+4+5 "Investigation"

Anyway you get the idea. Do we, Liberty in this case, want "mindless drones" who cannot think for themselves and would thus be produced from the left side of the above continuum? Or do we want only those who would investigate and come from the right side of the continuum above. This produces people who are generally far too liberal and who eventually loose the Gospel to whatever the latest "cultural norm" or fad.

It seems to me that we want someone who may be somewhere in the middle. DON'T READ THAT AS COMPROMISE. We should hold to some doctrinal distinctives for sure. But we should trust the Gospel and let our young men have the critical equipment to be able to act, interact, & react with other "schools of thought!"

It seems to me that we don't need is a bunch of "mindless robots" who say things like: "I follow Rev. Dr. Runamuck (whoever you want to plug in here)." We need people with a Gospel who can think for themselves and not look up to any cult figure as an example wherever he may be found.

My two cents worth, FWIW!

sdg! (now I will use it!)!:thumbs:

rd

#44 Rhetorician, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to say as a layperson, I feel that God pretty much spells out (through Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus) how church leaders should behave and function. It is hard to misinterpret those epistles. But lots of denominations and yes, even within the Baptists, we seem to have people interpreting for their own agendas. So you have to pray and study and seek God's will and God's answers in your own life. Serve where God leads you to serve, and depart from those whom God points out as those who present false doctrine. What is your function as a leader? Do you pray and seek God's will?

It is farily simple, if you ask me.

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Good to hear from you Rhet.

It is pure conjecture on my part. But the few times I have caught Caner on TV preaching in chapel, I have witnessed a combative position with regard to Calvinism.

My conjecture is that Caner wants to "reclaim" Baptist for the non-Calvinist position in the SBC. So Liberty "Baptist" Theological Seminary is where non-Calvinists and "true" Baptists will attend in SBC circles.

Again, this is pure conjecture.

The target, of course, is The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. More conjecture! :)

Jerry Falwell was a real uniter. I think he got along well with others, whether they be Al Mohler or John Hagee. I'm not saying he agreed with everyone, but he knew how to position himself within the mainstream of evangelical Christianity.

#46 Paul33, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

9. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Caner isn't afraid to state the truth. He was a Muslim, and he is now a saved by grace Christian....and this miracle is something he celebrates in his class lectures. I loved his lectures.

Debbie Mc

11. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Caner

I am a graduate of Liberty Seminary (M.A.R.) and I am currently working on the M.Div. through their online program. I recently finished a Baptist History class with Caner as the lecturer. In my estimation, Caner is passionate and sincere but much more aggressive than is necessary.

He routinely starts sentences saying, "For those I have not yet offended - listen to this!" I really enjoyed the class and I have a lot of respect for Caner. He is a great communicator and I love his passion. Is it really needed though to have "The Pit Bull of Christianity" thing?

Am I the only one who sees that as contrary to the nature, life, and example of Christ?

I am a little displeased that they returned the name to Liberty "Baptist" Theological Seminary, not that I have a problem with Baptist theology - I am among the more conservative Congregational Pastors around - but because my M.A.R. was earned while "Baptist" was out of the name so now my M.Div. will have a different school name on it than the M.A...

No big deal though, I love the school and would recommend it to any body who loves the Scriptures and wants to get a sound theological education. It is interesting seeing the historic crossover between Congregationalists of old and original Baptists.

Conservative Congregationalists and Conservative Baptists share much in common. Many early Congregationalists, in fact, went to the various Baptist movements as they felt compelled to take a high view of believer’s baptism.

Blessings!

12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Baptist heritage of soul liberty

Rhett, I really don't know if I am agreeing or disagreeing with you. You know your Baptist history well enough to realize that it has been the historical Baptist position of "soul liberty" and freedom of conscience that offset the more rigid dogmatic positions imposed and enforced by the Puritans. Baptist beliefs helped separate church and state. I would contend that Baptist belief in individual soul liberty was one of the major influences in producing religious liberty in our nation. Now, does the reclaiming of the Baptist name and its historic meaning restrict or promote thinking and thoughful inquiry? You tell me.

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Right. But when does a combative spirit actualy misrepresent the truth? He can combatively and boldly state his position, but that doesn't necessarily make his statement true. He may be entertaining and he may be certain in his mind, but he can still be wrong no matter how unafraid he is in stating the truth.

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paid Reponse and Further Discussion Issues

Paid,

It is good to hear from you as always. I hope you have a blessed of our Lovely Lord Jesus Happy New Year!

As Spock would say! "Live long and prosper!"

As far as your comment above; "Now, does the reclaiming of the Baptist name and its historic meaning restrict or promote thinking and thoughtful inquiry?"

I am not sure that that can be argued from my subjective POV. But, we must maintain some semblance and idea of balance. Somewhere along the continuum that I proposed above. Our SBC seminaries et al (include all 'Baptist' here of any hint or hue) must continue to put out "Baptist Preachers" who know what it means to be "baptist" and "baptistic."

Coupled with that we must also put out: intelligent, critically thinking, thought provoking, engaging, preacher-theologians, and seminary-theologians-academics who are more closely tied to the local congregations in theory and practice. This is extremely hard for us to do because of the "autonomy of the local church" theology as we all know right well.

As it occurs to me; we do not want "narrow-minded bible thumpers" on the one hand. Nor do we want "liberal theologians from the seminaries" taking us away from our historic and Baptistic routes as you have so eruditely described above. ISTM (it seems to me) that there has to be a balance. But as most issues in life, when the pendulum swings-it swings back too far and too fast with many repercussions that could not have possibly been seen.

Some simple thoughts from a simple college professor.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

15. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

A Question

Rhetoritician,

I have a question for you that I have been interested in having answered for a while. If I understand correctly - from a previous post - you are a Liberty Prof. As such, you are a good candidate to answer this question or at least give me your thoughts on it, as clearly it is not possible for a "University or Seminary" to open the front door as a mouth and speak for itself. I suspect their may be a diversity of opinions in regard to this question.

I am a Liberty Distance Learning Program Graduate (B.S. Religion in Bible, M.A. Religion in Ministry) and a current DLP M.Div. student. I found my way to Liberty primarily because of the DLP. When I was on Active Duty in the Marine Corps I found it nearly impossible to take traditional courses. I started with Global University (Assemblies of God) through their correspondence program but later looked for an alternative after coming to a deeper understanding of the Scriptures and formulating a personal understanding of Pneumatology.

While on Active Duty I preached in nursing homes and rescue shelters. After leaving the Marine Corps I served a Congregational Community Church as Associate Pastor and for the last year I have served a Congregational Church as Solo Pastor.

Enough background... here is my question and it is specifically in light of your above comment -- "Our SBC seminaries et al (include all 'Baptist' here of any hint or hue) must continue to put out "Baptist Preachers" who know what it means to be "Baptist" and "Baptistic."

How are students which are not "Baptist" by way of denominational affiliation viewed by the staff and faculty at Liberty? I know from interaction on classroom blackboard discussion boards that the DLP has attracted many who are not Baptist to pursue studies at Liberty.

Is having a Congregational Pastor such as myself as a student viewed as an unfortunate byproduct of the DLP or is the Liberty staff intentional about welcoming students to study from outside of the SBC or other denominations. I must say that if someone asked me about my experience at Liberty I would give them an unreserved recommendation to attend.

My theology, preaching style, and views on the local church have been largely shaped by Liberty professors. In practice and teaching I am a Baptist. I am a Congregational Pastor after the order of Historic Congregationalism, not the radical departure from fundamentals of the faith which is the hallmark of much of what is left of this once strong family of churches.

Am I "Baptist enough" for Liberty? Am I "Baptist enough" to be posting in the Baptist Only section of this message board? :laugh:

16. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

After reading this thread I began to wonder if anyone had heard the LBTS name is back. :laugh:

As for PilgrimPastor's last post, I can't comment on the seminary. But I can tell you that the university in general has been very inclusive for decades. A significant portion of the undergrad student body claim Assemblies, Pentecostal, Methodist, Anglican and others as their preference. But everyone comes to LU knowing the school is coming from a Baptist perspective. As has been stated in this thread, Jerry built the school looking to build bridges among Evangelicals & Fundamentalists. There are certain core doctrines where there is no budging at LU but even this much discussed Calvinism/Arminianism discussion is considered secondary.

I can assure you that Jerry Sr. would be thrilled to know he had helped prepare a Congregational pastor to serve His Kingdom. Of course he would probably wink with a joke about Baptist infiltration. :laugh:

17. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boldness is an attribute that more of us need in order to witness to a lost and dying world. I have not heard any wrong theology come from Dr Caner's lectures. He encourages his students to study the scriptures, to prepare, and to witness. I don't view him as combative at all. Perhaps the past death threats he has received from Muslims has "steeled him up" ??

Debbie Mc

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PP Response

My Dear Brother Pilgrim,

First off I want to thank you for your military service to me personally and to our nation.

First, I would say that you probably put way too much credence in me a "Liberty Prof" just b/c I teach adjunctively there. But, nonetheless, thank you for your confidence in me.

Secondly, I commend you on having, working through, and working out your own theology. This is to be applauded. Be your own man and go where the Lord's Word and the dictates of your own heart would take you.

Thirdly, there is no confession of faith for any of us who teach off campus to sign. We basically teach based on academic credentials.

Fourth, I would say that the education you have/are receiving will greatly shape who and what you believe and become. Liberty is a great place to do such and be such. Stay with the program there as the Lord leads.

Fifth, one thing I would tell you about being a Baptist is this: eventually you will have to deal with the issue of "Believer's Baptism" vs. Paedobaptism. And I know that has already come up in your mind, heart, and theology.

Sixth, one of the reasons (I believe, I have not been told this) for Liberty's existence on these DPL levels is to spread the Good News of Christ's Gospel and use all means and manners at their disposal to do so. We (they) are more than happy to have "all comers" (Christians of all tints and hues) to study to accomplish this. One of the main and best ways to "make disciples" is through the teaching ministries and institutions is it not.

If I have missed a question please chock it up to an old mind. Let me know which one it is and I will be glad to come back and finish.

I love you. I appreciate your hard work. God bless you this year is my prayer.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

19. Tennessee Trumpet

Tennessee Trumpet New Member

Dr. Carl Diemer shoots, he scores!

20. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Ut oh, the Trumpet has found this board. He's not for the weak-knee folks on here. :laugh:

And I agree wholeheartedly with Rhet's views. All comers have always been welcome at Liberty.