1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty Gains ABA Accreditation.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Brice, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Brice

Brice New Member

http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=6848&NewsID=120

On February 13, the American Bar Association (ABA) granted provisional accreditation to the Liberty University School of Law at the earliest date possible for a new law school. The law school, in only its second year, was awarded provisional accreditation on its first attempt. To achieve provisional accreditation within 18 months of the first entering class is virtually unprecedented.

Following the announcement, Dr. Jerry Falwell, founder and chancellor of Liberty, stated, “This is the second-most important news in the history of the university, eclipsed only by the announcement of Liberty’s accreditation by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1980.

Provisional accreditation for the law school means that Liberty is in substantial compliance with each of the ABA’s Standards for the Approval of Law Schools and has presented a reliable plan to achieve full compliance with those standards within three years.

Great news for Liberty!

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brice,

I say Praise the Lord! for LU.

I think this is a great day for all of us, not just those who love Liberty (pun intended!)!

It is great for the broader evangelical community and for the SBC for sure; and maybe it is even good for the Independent Fundamentalist's Baptists. HA! [​IMG]

sdg!

rd

4. Brice

Brice New Member

[​IMG] I'm not sure you'll find many IFB's on the LU campus nowadays, but hey you never know there might be one hiding in the thousands.. [​IMG] I must say I am proud of LU and it's goal of making an impact in so many sectors. This is a big deal for Jerry and a major goal of his has now been fulfilled.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brice,

I think some brethren have forgotten "to rejoice with those who rejoice!"

The president of Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary, B. Gray Allision, use to say: "There is no competition between light houses!"

I wish these were two concepts some of the ones on the "winning team" could learn. [​IMG]

sdg!

rd

6. Brice

Brice New Member

[​IMG] I love that quote.. I might need to use that one day.. ;) I really do wish we could all take that quote to heart.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Post edited per Baptist Board Rules]

[ February 23, 2006, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

8. Brice

Brice New Member

[Post edited due to quotation of edited post in violation of BB rules]

[ February 24, 2006, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Martin.

[ February 24, 2006, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

10. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

I teach classes in American Politics at a secular state College. One of me first assignments each semester is for students to find the words "separation of church and state" in the Constitution. Most leave certain they will come back with the answer. So far, none have.

Pastor Mark.

[ February 24, 2006, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    {SNIP}
    Comments of Falwell and others

Yeah, not a very impressive record in some aspects, though I am not sure what you are refering to specifically. There where many early American's who wanted a state supported church, Massachusetts and Rhode Island are known for the presecution of the early Baptist folk in this country. Fortunately they did not prevail.

[ February 24, 2006, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark,

Well, the word trinity isn't in the Bible either, what does that prove?

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

G2C You also mentioned that "Trinity" is not in the Bible. Yes, you are right, however the concept of the Trinity is taught.
    When it comes to the constitution, you will not find the term "seperation of church & state" but neither is the concept. Amendment I says (in part) "Congress shallmake no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Anotherwards the US Congress cannot make the Baptist Church (of which there is no such animal) to be the national religion).
    This was the case before the Am Rev, most States had an official religion.
    On the other hand, Congress cannot prohibit a certian religion from using a drug induced tea during their monthly religious services. (can some find a link to that story?)

Now to really upset the ACLU, States (and Commonwealths) STILL have the right to authorize an offical State religion (unless prohibited in their state constitution or by state law). Amendment One only prohibits the (US) Congress from establishing an offical religion. According to the Tenth Amendment, the right to establish State religions "are reserved to the States respectively..."

Bottom line: the First Amendment was written to protect the church from the goverment, not the goverment from the church.

Salty

[ February 24, 2006, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

14. Brice

Brice New Member

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    go2church:
    ==I did not slander the students at Liberty's Law School. You did. I did not make any statement about Falwell (etc) that I have to back up or defend. You did. I am very knowledgable of Falwell's position(s). Some I agree with some I disagree with. I am seeking your defense of your statement(s).

--------------------------------------------
    ==More personal insults? I am familiar with both Barton and Robertson as well. Like Falwell I agree with them on points, and disagree with them on certain points.

Now please defend YOUR statement. You made it, now defend it. Don't quote someone else. Do your own homework. Show me where Falwell or Barton say that they don't believe in the seperation of church and state (as understood by Jefferson, etc).

I wait for YOUR reply...yet again.

Martin.

[ February 24, 2006, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say that a state (not federal) church would probably violate the 14th amendment.

From the XIV Amendment:
    "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. "

[ February 24, 2006, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I did not slander the students at Liberty's Law School. You did. I did not make any statement about Falwell (etc) that I have to back up or defend. You did. I am very knowledgable of Falwell's position(s). Some I agree with some I disagree with. I am seeking your defense of your statement(s).

==More personal insults? I am familiar with both Barton and Robertson as well. Like Falwell I agree with them on points, and disagree with them on certain points.

Now please defend YOUR statement. You made it, now defend it. Don't quote someone else. Do your own homework. Show me where Falwell or Barton say that they don't believe in the seperation of church and state (as understood by Jefferson, etc).

Martin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You sure are bossy! It's not slander if it's true and it is.
    Honestly, would another link change your mind?

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go2, you're missing the operative clause in the quote:

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't miss, it I choose to ignore the new qualifier that was added in his response to my first response (what?). Besides, in any of the provided quotes, does Falwell make anywhere close to the nuanced view the the operative clause "as understood by Jefferson" suggests? I don't think that he does.

Jefferson was at best a deist and wanted people to follow the ethical teachings of Jesus, but had open distain for the claims of divinity and miracles. So if we where going to not seperate church and state, I wouldn't want to do it in the manner of Jefferson.

Which btw is the reason for a strict seperation of church and state. Who is the one that decides what version of whatever is the one that needs to be followed?

I don't think we need to tear down every reference to God or the Bible, it is large part of our history that any honest historian cannot, with any credibility deny. Nor should we twist history to make it fit a pseudo Judeo-Christian right to rule.

I'm getting too long, will post more later

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Martin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You sure are bossy! It's not slander if it's true and it is.
    Honestly, would another link change your mind?
    </font>[/QUOTE]==Thus I conclude that you can't defend your statement(s). Your "link" proves nothing since it has a clear bias. You have provided no evidence that Falwell (etc) reject seperation of church and state.

Martin.