1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty home Bible Institute

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by wwr 82, Dec 31, 2005.

1. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

I'm considering taking this study course, www.lhbi.org through Liberty University, and was wondering if anyone knew something about the course itself. I've also been looking at Andersonville but it seems to have not the best reputation around.

A big plus for the Liberty course is that upon completion you can earn up to 24 hours of college credit towards an Associates/Bachelor Degree. I teach Sunday school and was wanting to deepen my knowledge and understanding of God's word. Any comments on Liberty itself would be appreciated. :confused:

2. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I recently graduated from Liberty University with a Bachelor of Science in Religion. I was a Distance Learning Student. I transferred in 45 credits from a Junior College and completed the rest entirely through Distance Learning. It was top rate and I learned alot. Most of the classes were exactly what I wanted in way of challenge and content. I'm not at all sorrow I chose Liberty University.

That being said...I've not done any of their Bible institute material. Can't say much about that.

3. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Hey, wwr82, just looked at your profile and saw that you're a former Marine. Semper Fi, my friend. I went in June of 86 and was discharged April of 96. I was in Artillery (King of Battle) for the first four years and then moved into Aviation Maintanence (Structural Mech) for Helicopters my last six years in. Currently, I'm a Chaplain Candidate in the Army Reserve and going to Seminary. I intend to go in full-time after graduation. Great to see another Marine on "Board!"

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

From what I hear, Liberty is a pretty good course. It is also acredited.

God bless,

Wayne

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I earned my MA/Religion degree from Liberty University. It is a great school. While I have no personal experience with LHBI the very fact that it is connected to Liberty gives me confidence that it is a quality program. The schools online program is fantastic.

Martin.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

LHBI is a great place to start.You will not regret you investment in time,money,or effort.I took the course years ago.

7. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

I talked with my wife who just recently graduated from Kent State about the course and she said that it behooves me to take the accredited courses over the non-accredited.
    Her reasoning is that if I ever want to go further in my education than this course, at least I'll have transferable credits from an established university of good reputation. Although I'm not one to really look ahead, but if I did decide to go further it would probably be with Liberty.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You might check out and see if LHBI would allow you to get an accredited degree. I am not sure, but LHBI may not be the same as their extension program . . . In their extension program you can earn your degree.

9. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

They said that after successful completion of the course (avg 2 years to complete)it gives me up to 24 accredited hours towards an Assciate/Bachelor degree. The LHBI is a certificate program. At this point in my walk, this course seems to really work best for me according to my current position as a Sunday School teacher.

I guess the easiest way to put it is that I'm not looking to get a degree for the sake of saying I have a degree. I want to be a better child of God, whether it's as a man, husband, father, teacher, co-worker etc... this course seems to fill that need. Plus the credits are transferable.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==LHBI offers a Diploma and not a degree. This diploma can trasfer "24 hours of college-level academic credit through Liberty University towards an associates or bachelors degree". While this is a great deal (mainly for someone not sure if they really want a full degree program) I would advise people to go with a degree program.

wwr 82,

Liberty offers both an Associate of Arts and a Bachelor of Science in Religion (see the webpage here). These degrees are offered 100% online/distance and "All classes are available through the Distance Learning Program". So I would suggest that wwr 82, or anyone else for that matter, earn the AA or BS degree in Religion instead of doing the LHBI diploma. The LHBI program is mainly for those who are not going to go any further in "formal" education. It does offer the college credits, since it is a program of Liberty University, but it would save time (and money) to go directly into the AA or BS degrees instead of doing LHBI first. The program at Liberty is a wonderful Bible based program. If you become a Liberty student you will grow in your faith thanks to the wonderful material and teachers. It is a very effective program so you will NOT be disappointed. Sure earning an AA or BS will be more work than LHBI and it will cost more than LHBI but in the end it will be worth it all. It would even be possible to earn an AA, BS, and MA in religion at Liberty University 100% online/distance if you wanted to. All of the degrees are fully accredited by SACS (regional) and TRACS (national) and are offered online. You would study under some great men of God such as Elmer Towns, Ergun Caner, Carl Diemer, and I believe some undergraduate courses are taught by Ed Hindson as well!

As I said I earned by MA/Religion from Liberty. I enjoyed the whole program. I mainly loved the church history courses I took that contained lectures by Dr Diemer (Church Hist I and II) and Dr Caner (Baptist History). I also took two classes with Dan Mitchell as the teacher. Wonderful teacher! The advisors at Liberty are very helpful. The whole program is great! I am not just saying this because I am a Liberty graduate but because it is true.

I pray this helps and that you will follow the Lord's leading. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

In Christ,
    Martin.

11. RandR

RandR New Member

If cost and time are not an issues, I'd go for the LUSLL (or whatever they're calling it these days) degree instead of the LHBI diploma.

12. Broadus

Broadus Member

I agree, FWIW.

Bill