1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty to offer M.A. in History

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, May 31, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From website:

"Liberty University’s Department of History recently received approval from the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to offer a Master of Arts in History.
    The degree program consists of two tracks (Thesis and Non-Thesis) and will begin this fall."

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

MA in History

Martin,

Have you heard if the MA will be available via distance as well or residence only?

I have emailed the school but haven't received a reply yet.

-Matt

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. I imagine that it will only be residential at first. The only two regionally accredited online MA History programs I know of are Sam Houston State University and American Public University. As of this time, there are no PhD History programs online. I have good reasons to suspect that will change in the next year or two.

Do us a favor, let us know what you find out about Liberty's MA program.

#3 Martin, May 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2008
  4. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

For those interested, this this was the reply from Dr. Sam Smith, the MA in History program coordinator, regarding whether or not the program would be available online.

Personally, I hope there is enough interest in the posibility of it being an online program that Liberty offers online sooner than later.

-Matt

5. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

That would be a great degree for me. I enjoy history a lot.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reply is what I expected. Generally speaking, history programs have been slow to go "online". However I think that will change over time. I don't know if Liberty will ever put their MA/History degree online. They seem to be very comfortable with their current online offerings.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you just want to learn more about history read books about history. If you want to watch lectures, without tests (etc), you could purchase dvds/cds from The Teaching Company. They have some wonderful lectures on history.

8. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

Thanks for the info. That looks like a interesting site.