1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty U. and the False Prophet

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul said to see that you come behind in no gift waiting for the revelation of Jesus. And Tongues expired when the book of Revelation completed the canon.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, this thread went south pretty quickly. The OP had nothing to do with tongues, whether or not the Bible is perfect, etc. It was about a leading evangelical university and someone I termed a false prophet.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is perfect. So is Jesus. So is Heaven. So is the Gospel. So are many other things. So the request for you to prove your point was valid.

But that is moot. It is not what the thread is about. If you want to post about prophecy or about Liberty U., I'll accept that.

#43 John of Japan, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ is perfect. The "perfect" in that passage is Him at His second advent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize, brother.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning the OP, I have a couple of points.

1. There are two types of prophecy in Scripture: foretelling and forth-telling. I believe that foretelling prophecy ceased with the completion of the canon. On the other hand, forth-telling prophecy--in the sense that the preacher preaches against sin, is still happening.

2. Foretelling prophecy is revelation--in other words, it is applicable to all mankind, or perhaps to one nation. This is what Mark Taylor is purporting to do, give prophecies for all of the USA. If he had simply given God's guidance for one person, perhaps himself, there would be no revelation. God still guides us, though the canon of Scripture is closed.

3. Since Mark Taylor was wrong on one prophecy (see the OP), the one about the horse race (of all the silly things to prophesy about), he is a false prophet. A true prophet of God is accurate 100% of the time (Deut. 18:22).

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's quite all right.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's really disturbing for me that even one department at Liberty has chosen to honor this false prophet. Jerry Falwell was ostensibly a friend of my grandfather's, and I met him at Granddad's funeral. He had my mother come to give testimony at his church about John R. Rice, and Mom was all sold on Falwell. But then Falwell did not even mention Rice in either of his two autobiographies (really? two of them).

And now Liberty U. might be headed down the heretical Charismatic lane. I devoutly hope not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the definition of cessation
    Cessation: a temporary or complete stopping; discontinuance:

While prophecy has ceased, fulfillment has not. Or, do you disagree? If you take the position the fulfillment has ceased, then that will end the discussion. However, if you agree there is prophecy yet to be fulfilled, is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb included? Or, identify any number of other prophecies yet to be fulfilled.

Thanks for your response.

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are still looking for fulfillment of some of the prophetic scriptures, but prophecy has ceased.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the catch. Paul said;

“so that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye be unreproveable in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, through whom ye were called into the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:7–9)

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John;” (Revelation 1:1)

All of the gifts expired, and history confirms this, as John published Revelation.

602. ἀποκάλυψις apŏkalupsis, ap-ok-al´-oop-sis; from 601; disclosure:—appearing, coming, lighten, manifestation, be revealed, revelation.

Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 1, p. 14).

used for Revelation by Paul and John

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all prophecy to day is false.

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It had to do with false prophecy and that involves all the charismatic gifts now long gone.

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No catch, just misapplied scripture.

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul says to seek the gifts until the Revelation of Jesus Christ. The exact title of John's book of Revelation. It doesn't get any more scriptural that this.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong. Prophecy is only one of the charismatic gifts, and you are in error to say "that involves all the charismatic gifts." The lists in Rom. 12 and 1 Cor. 12 list prophecy as one of the gifts. The part can never equal the whole.

It appears to me that you are making an excuse for hijacking my thread.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of what prophecy? Forth-telling or foretelling?

In Acts 2, the prophesying being done was simply what we call soul-winning. Do you suggest that winning souls to Christ is false?

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    They all came and went together.

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything not already stated in scripture.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really don't know what I'm talking about when I differentiate between forth-telling and foretelling, do you? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.