1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Library Re: SBC Resurgence

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by rhoneycutt, Jun 25, 2002.

1. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

Joseph,
    Thanks for the info. That organization is now The Alliance of Baptists right?

Tom,
    Would love to get that. I am assuming it will be on tape. Do you know if they are going to print something as well?

Thanks
    Russell

2. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

Same guy. I wouldn't call it right leaning. Not surprised you haven't heard of it, I doub't they are discussing it on Simpsons reruns ;) . This thread is not the place for a review, I might start a new one though.
    Peace
    Russell

3. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

I just got the new book by Fisher Humphries titled
    "The Way we Were" How southern Baptist Theology has changed & what it means to us all.

Has anyone read this yet?

Thanks
    Russell

Tom
    Any word on that website? 10/26/2002, I'll be there. Roll.... :D

4. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

Two More:

1. Uneasy in Babylon "Southern Baptist Conservatives and American Culture" by Barry Hankins.

2. At ease in Zion by Rufus B. Spain

Does anyone have a nice copy of the Spain book they might be willing to sell? My copy is in pieces and amazon has me on that preorder search deal :confused:

Thanks
    Russell

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

This is a "hobby" that I also share. Mostly because I try to beware having to rely on what others say about the SBC controversy. I have dozens of books on the subject. Here are some (and they are not listed in any certain order).

Histories

1. Truth in Crisis (5 vol.) by James Hefley. Hefley wrote these books as a journalists during the most event filled years of the controversy in the 80s.
    2. The Battle for the Bible and The Bible in the Balance by Harold Lindsell. Lindsell is not a Southern Baptist but wrote about the growing battle over the infallability of Scripture in the 1970's.
    3. Baptist Heritage by Leon McBeth. He also edited the companion A Sourcebook for the Baptist Heritage with includes a phenomenal about of documentation. Look for the discussion about Crawford Toy in the late 19th century to find clues to the source of the controversy.
    4. Pressler's book. The only reason that I list this one (even though I agree with much of his thesis) is that he listed an extensive set of quotes and references to writings and statements from folks he considered to be outside of what SBCers would deem acceptable in an appendix. One of the things that I am doing is to collect a number of these books and articles in order to understand the quotes in context.

Important books that are referred to in a number of histories.

1. The Message of Genesis by Ralph Elliot. He also wrote a book discussing his role in the controvery in the late 80s.
    2. Jesus Christ by Glenn Hinson.

Again, there are many others.

My library should be of use to my children on this matter.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Check out bookfinder.com. There are currently 17 copies of Spain's book ranging from $6 to $20.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Russell,
    As far as I know, only tapes are available.

8. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

A friend told me about this one and I just got it. Have not read it yet.

"In the Name of the father" The Rhetoric of the New Southern Baptist Convention. by Carl L. Kell and L. Raymond Camp.

It was published in 1999 by Southern Illinois University Press.

Anyone read it?