1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

license to preach and pulpet supply

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by j_barner2000, Jul 1, 2003.

1. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

My pastor told me Sunday that he placed me on the pulpet supply list in the Estrella Association office when the Baptist Convention was here in Phoenix. I have preached at my local church, but as far as I know I have not been licensed yet. The pastor has mentioned licensing me, but nobody has handed me a document. Should I be asking for a document? aren't most churches going to want something like that? Our pastor has been vice pres of the AZ Baptist convention for years until the last term. (He stepped down because he said at 70 he needs to slow down.) Or will the reputation of being mentored by him enough?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Just ask him about it. Some congregations want it because they want someone to tell them that you are called and equipped to preach. Don't make it a big deal. Just talk to him about when your church plans to license you.

And yes, you should get a piece of paper! The other church won't likely demand to see it, just to know that you are licensed (called, equipped, and doctrinally sound) helps them to be assured that you won't preach anything outside of our understanding of scripture.

3. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

you know, I kind of wondered when he told me that he had my name added to the pulpet supply list for our local association, but I still have not gotten any document. we have a staff meeting Sunday and a Bible study tonight. I will make sure I bring it up to him.

Don't you start your ministry soon, Brother?

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Yes, I plan to leave my present residence in southern Maryland for mid-Missouri at the end of this month, disposition of personal/professional responsibilities permitting. I was ordained on Sunday, June 22. My new church has an interim from the local area who will supply until I'm able to get over there.

You will find that supplying will be very good for your experience. It gives you a chance to critique yourself and make changes until you are comfortable with your own style. Remember, don't act like anyone else than who God made you to be. He has called us in particular for a reason!

5. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I am what I am. God called me and is making me the man He wants me to be. All I can say is i am improving and relaxing in the hotseat. I have decided that all I can do is pray, study and then pray some more. He will take care of the results.
    My wife and I just travelled through Missouri. we stayed in Carthage at a campground. Really nice area. She wants to go back to Michigan, and I do not want to deal with the cold. We could easily enjoy Missouri. Then again, God knows what He wants for us. My sister is in Little Rock, so next time we travel that way I will have to stop there. I inquired about a youth pastor position at Ozark Missouri, but was not selected.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once a person has shown the gifts and aptitude for pulpit ministry, I think it incumbent on the church to formally recognize this. Such gives credibility to any group that might desire you as a speaker.

Kudos, man. This is a great step in your preparation for pastoral ministries. [​IMG]

7. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Thanks Dr. Bob.
    As I look back on this past year since I accepted the call, I see that God has worked upon me and my family. I also see how much more work He has to prepare us fully for ministry. It is scary and exciting to see what He is doing.

The pastor said that he will reccomend licensure when he believes I am ready. As he has a solid reputation and has endorsed me for pulpet supply, he said the license is not needed right now, but he is comfortable sending me out to fill pulpets. Not sure I understand the distinction, but....

[ July 02, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: j_barner2000 ]

8. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Remember, the local body grants the license, not the pastor. Perhaps his thinking is to give you more exposure, so that the people will be as convinced of your call as he is. Be patient. He is exercizing watch-care over you.

9. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

He has over 50 years experience as a pastor. I prayed over asking him to mentor me. I knew him prior to attending the church I am at only because they rented facilities from the church I served at prior to beginning at this church. So he had only known (really known) me for about 3 months before I accepted the call to preach and he accepted me as an intern. He said he believes I am called and he believes also that I need more preparation for pastoral ministry before he will feel that I am ready to be licensed. licensure is saying that I am prepared to start leading a congregation (such as mission pastor) and preparation for ordination.

We talked about it at length, and I understand where he is coming from. In the SBC culture here, a licensed man can lead a mission church under another pastor. He feels I am not ready for that yet. I know, that I am not ready.