1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lies my teacher taught me

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Stratiotes, Sep 10, 2004.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Galatian sez:

TG, I agree whole-heartedly!!

I had a history teacher at Furman U. 'bout a hunnert years ago that made history come alive. He could make you feel the anticipation/agression of Hannibal as he "elephant walked" over the Alps. Or the frustration/hope/doubt/concern for troops of Washington as he debated crossing the Delaware. Or the sorrow and sadness of Lee surrendering even as he was relieved at the cessation of the killing.

There is no substitute for the true enthusiasm of a teacher in any subject.

2. CoachC

CoachC New Member

A lot of good things to consider in this thread.

Kids love the details or things beyond just the facts and dates. Friday in my world history class we were discussing Spartan society. The kids were fascinated by the fact that the Spartan government would declare war on their Helots so that it was legal for them to kill their Helots at any time.

In my Sports History class the kids were fascinated by Ty Cobbs later life. Making his money off of his Coca Cola stock and his hatred for blacks. It sparked great discussion and the kids loved it.

It surprises me and fascinates the piece of information that will get a kid excited about what they are learning.

3. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

Actually, the requirements vary from state to state. In CA, teachers must have a bachelor's degree and be credentialed. The largest number of teachers without a degree in CA are in private Christian Schools. I had no idea until I dated a teacher (with a master's degree). </font>[/QUOTE]Is the degree required in the subject they're teaching? That's the where I have found the difference in the US. A degree in mathematics or in education is not the same as a degree in history for history teachers.