1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Life’s Greatest Tragedy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Jun 19, 2008.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Normally when you think of a tragedy, you think about some great disaster, like an earthquake or flood, that takes thousands of lives. Well there is an even greater disaster than this, that is effecting Billions of people. This disaster isn’t greater, because it hurts more people, but because of the duration, in which these people will be hurt.

The tragedy, that I am referring to, is a Spiritual tragedy. And we can read about it in Matthew chapter 7.

The tragedy talked about in this passage, is the tragedy of a religious person, thinking that they are saved, and on their way to heaven; Only to find out too late, that they weren’t really saved, at all. The Bible tells us here and many other places, that Billions of people, are going to be deceived in this way, and will have to spend an eternity in Hell, because of it.

The most important thing in the world, for us to do, is to make 1000% sure, that we are truly born again, and not just religious (See 2 Corinthians 13:5). Faith in Jesus Christ alone, is the only way of true forgiveness and salvation. Making sure that we are doing things, “according to the Bible”, and not “according to man’s opinion”, is another good way, to make sure, that you are really saved.

One of the best ways, to know if you are really saved, is by how you react to the Gospel, when it is preached. If that message, causes you to have any doubts about your relationship with God, this is a good sign, that you need to do some soul searching.

2. belvedere

belvedere Member

Note what these people say: "have WE ______?" Their focus is all about what THEY did. For a person who is saved, the focus is on Jesus and what HE did. His work on the cross is the only means of salvation.

You are right: it IS a tragedy.

3. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Why would it be more of a tragedy for a CINO (Christian in name only) to find himself in hell than any of a number of other devout religious who trusted in a different God.

John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Those who hear "I never knew you" are the ones who were not doing the will of the Father.

No one who has seen the Son, and believed on him, will hear "I never knew you".

Those who hear "I never knew you" have not seen the Son, and believed on him.

Why would anyone who has not seen the Son, and believed on him..... have any concern about making 1000% sure he was born again when he hadn't seen or believed in the necessity of being born again to begin with?

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passage from Matthew indicates they had seen the Son. They are calling Him "Lord", and are claiming to have done certain "works" in His name.

It seems clear to me they thought they were saved until Christ rejected them.

peace to you:praying:

5. TomMann

TomMann New Member

No argument here. Just the observation of fact that if they had done the will of the Father, they would have entered the kingdom. And since they were told "I never knew you" then despite their misconception, they had not done the will of the Father. Obviously they were serving, or attempting to serve some preceived diety other than the one true God.

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I always thought they were rejected because they were depending on their works to get them into heaven.

7. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi TomMann

Nice to hear from you.

You said.......
    I think I know what you are getting at; (And you have a good point!)

Although the main problem with these people, was that they were trying to work their way to heaven:
    (These kinds of people fall into two categories:)

(1) Those who care: (2) Those who don’t care:

Those who don’t care, are simply doing all these good works, as “fire insurance”:
    (Trying to cover all the bases, to keep themselves out of hell:)
    -This group wouldn’t pay any attention to this post!-

But then there are those that care:
    (They are sincerely doing good works, because they are wanting to somehow please God:)
    -They are just as lost as the other group, and will surly go to hell if they don’t get saved:-
    But because they care, they might just take this post seriously, and realize that it isn’t good works that gets them to heaven, but Trusting Christ.

8. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Understand where you are coming from and I find no objection to warning others to flee the wrath to come. I think it is our duty to preach the gospel to all and that includes warning all. However, I am one of those mean ole unyielding sovereignty of God types who happens to believe that salvation is of the Lord. And when you speak of presenting the gospel to the unreginerate..... it falls on deaf ears. To hear the gospel requires ears to hear. The scripture says "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me". Not all that come to me the Father shall give to me. The other side of the dabate whether it is called free will or decisional regeneration or responsiblity of man is another view, but one I don't agree with.The points of that debate have raged on this and other boards and I don't care to argue or point/counterpoint anymore. The Lord open eyes and ears as he will. I will however when given the opportunity state and proclaim my beliefs. Yes, it is a tragedy when anyone goes to hell. As much for the Islamic and the Budist and the Hindu as it is for the "Almost thou persuadeth me to believe" almost a Christian.

I don't believe the problem is as simple as those who care and don't care. None care, none seek after God, none can understand the things of God or the things of the spirit. It is God who quickens and insures the new birth.