1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Life Elsewhere in the Universe

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

God created the Heavens, did he not? Or at least he said he did. Since he told us that, everything would be relevant to us. Life on other planets would be his creation, since he created the Heavens. Right?

2. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

He is the beginning and the end to us. How does that prove your point?

John

3. Bobby Hamilton

That's a rather large assumption.

4. seekingthetruth

The only thing that is relevent to us is what we have here on Earth, and our relationship with God. And yes, He did create OUR heavens and Earth. But what obligation would He have to reveal anything beyond what pertains to us? Life on other planets has no bearing on life here, so what does it matter?

You cannot say that there is nothing else just because God didnt inform you of it.

John

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

But scripture says Christ died once not many times for aliens.

6. seekingthetruth

I am not assuming anything, I am simply saying that we just don't know.

And that it cant be proved on this side of heaven

John

7. Bobby Hamilton

If that was true, then Genesis 1:1 should've said "God created the Earth"

You're just making assumptions to go along with your devils advocate point of view.

God has no obligation to us, but what's said is said. It's there.

8. Bobby Hamilton

No, you are. Pretty blatantly, actually.

9. Bobby Hamilton

If you can assume because God doesn't tell us something that it has no bearing on us, then I can say there is nothing else just because God didn't tell us about it (when scripturally speaking, he did).

Although I don't recall saying that "there is nothing else because God didn't tell me about it"

10. seekingthetruth

Why would it say that? Do you know any aliens? If not, then why would it be our business. Why would we need to know?

Ok, lets go further. The Bible says that man fell into sin. How do you that if there are other worlds that they fell also? You assume that the universe centers around the Earth, and in our minds it does. But the truth is that we have no idea what the universe contains....or what is beyond it for that matter.

God is not obligated to reveal the secrets of the universe.

John

11. Bobby Hamilton

I would also argue...logically...that once man left this planet and stepped one foot onto a place not named Earth...then that makes all of space relevant.

We've been to the moon, someday we might get somewhere else. We left this planet that God put us on, and have explored space.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Deuteronomy 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

Isaiah 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Isaiah 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

There is no other God. Case closed.

13. Bobby Hamilton

I already said that God isn't obligated to do anything.

But he did tell us. Why would Genesis be written the way it is otherwise? Why would God so many other times in the scriptures say he is the only one. There is none like him?

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

God did not create computers, cars, or Iphones. Made invented them and they have nothing to with the creation account. Everything what was made in the physical creation was made at the time of the creation and it is all spelled out. There could not be life on other planets according to scripture.
    In the creation account he lists how and what was created and then says this;
    Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. All means all and He just named what those all is.

15. seekingthetruth

Why you getting so huffy?....and even compared me to a cultist? This is a facinating conversation, and one that really has no answers, just questions.

But I would like for you to put aside your traditional thinking, and try to understand that the Bible was written for us on Earth. If, and I do say IF, there is other life out there, our Bible was not written for them. And their existence would have no bearing on us, so why would God be obligated to tell us about them?

We have enough trouble understanding our own world and maintaining our own relationship with God without worrying about other life on other planets, so why would God give us information that would only complicate things?

God gave us what we need to know. Noone can say what exists beyond that.

John

16. seekingthetruth

Did He state that there was no other life in the heavens?

John

17. Bobby Hamilton

I'm not getting huffy at all, nor did I compare YOU to a cultist. I merely stated that what you were saying sounded like the Urantia stuff I've read about. I never stated I felt you were the way, and I don't feel that way at all based on some of your comments saying that you don't necessarily believe this yourself. You're just trying to expand.

This is a fascinating conversation. I agree. And while I, as much as anyone, would love to see some cool real life Star Wars stuff, it's just not biblically supported.

As far as the "traditional thinking" statement, that can't apply at this point, because humans have left our planet. The Universe is completely relevant to us now, because we have survived outside of the planet. People have lived at various points in space. We haven't been 100% confined to planet earth (well, yes, we have, but you see what I'm saying).

Again, you keep bringing up God's obligations to us. God really isn't obligated to anything, minus what he has already promised us in the scriptures. But he did give us a brain to think with, and spelled many things out in the scriptures.

Our complex issues for understanding things here are our own faults. Our sinful natures. Not something God has forced down upon us. You assume that God hasn't given us the insight to see it, but we can't open our eyes to understand how simple it really is.

18. seekingthetruth

God said he created man. Does that mean that is all He created?

John

19. Bobby Hamilton

He specifically singled out a singular Earth. If our planet wasn't special...if our planet wasn't meant to be the only one, it wouldn't have been said that way. All of the stuff he tells us, but this one he'd just choose not to tell us?

If you want to call that narrowminded, that's fine. I think it's very open minded and a very logical way to think.

20. Bobby Hamilton

LOL. This is really the question you want to ask? When he's clearly stated other things?