1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Life in these, uh, this United States"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 21, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I would also quote from the U.S. Declaration of Independence (emphasis mine):

E Pluribus Unum

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Outta' curiosity, how many individuals do you (or anyone) know, that regularly use the phrase "these United States" and/or speak of the states as "sovereign states" and/or regularly refer to this nation as "the Republic", and/or never call her "a democracy", who are among those standing in line to 'bash "The Electoral College"' and/or 'demand' that "the Electoral College" be done away with, and the President be elected by the overall 'popular vote', instead of selected by the "electoral vote"?

Just curious!

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  4. Magnetic Poles

I imagine that the phrase in question could be seen as a very pro-states' rights way of referring to the nation.

But enough about THESE United States...how about THOSE United States?

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which nation or confederation are you referring to? "THOSE United States" is not a designation referring to the United States of America, that can be properly made, by a citizen or resident of the nation known as "The United States of America".

I could, however, properly refer to The United States of Brazil, or The United Mexican States" for two examples, as "THOSE United States."

Signed, Language Cop

#5 EdSutton, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  6. Magnetic Poles

I know. It was supposed to be a funny haha.

Perhaps I was refering to Los Estados Unidos Mexicanos?

7. Magnetic Poles

So here is some trivia for you. No Google cheaters please. What other nation was known as the USA before its name was changed?

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I will gladly plead guilty on this one, to exactly this degree.
    Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The Republic of South Africa was known as the Union of South Africa prior to a change of name sometime in the 60's I believe, but am not sure of the exact date.

Ed

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not that you use the phrase "these United States;" it's that you never use any other phrase.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

12. Magnetic Poles

DING DING DING...We have a winner!! :applause:

13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

So what? :confused:

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's just odd! :laugh:

15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It's just another way to label the U.S. If KenH had always used the phrase, "The United States of America" nothing would have been said. His usage is somewhat "odd" as you say, but harmless. I've grown accustomed to it so, for me, odd would be if Ken stopped using it.

16. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

As a Brit, I just assumed that "these United States" was an American phrase (as is "The U. S. of A."; here, we just say, "The U.S.A." or "The U.S." or simply "America". Informally, we might just say "The States", or even more informally, "The Other Side of the Pond"). I didn't know the use of "these United States" by KenH was in any way unusual.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll guess before I look - I have been wrong before.

Was there a Union of South Africa before it became the Republic of South Africa? My guess is based on the old flag which had several national flags depicted.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm an odd person. :laugh:

19. Magnetic Poles

Yep the good ole USA. :thumbs:

20. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America, the sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal inquiry too". Thomas Jefferson

"The period for a new election of a citizen to administer the executive government of the United States being not far distant, and the time actually arrived when your thoughts must be employed in designating the person who is to be clothed with that important trust, it appears to me proper, especially as it may conduce to a more distinct expression of the public voice, that I should now apprise you of the resolution I have formed, to decline being considered among the number of those out of whom a choice is to be made." From George washington's Farewell address.

Employed in the service of my country abroad during the whole course of these transactions, I first saw the Constitution of the United States in a foreign country. Irritated by no literary altercation, animated by no public debate, heated by no party animosity, I read it with great satisfaction, as the result of good heads prompted by good hearts, as an experiment better adapted to the genius, character, situation, and relations of this nation and country than any which had ever been proposed or suggested. In its general principles and great outlines it was conformable to such a system of government as I had ever most esteemed, and in some States, my own native State in particular, had contributed to establish. John Adams Inaugural speech.

[SIZE=+1]A Declaration by the Representatives
    of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in

General Congress assembled. From the rough draft of Declaration of Independence[/SIZE]
    I guess Ken is smarter than the Founders!:tongue3: