1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Like a lion...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Aaron, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ran accross this statement in the Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible:

Interestingly enough, I found footnotes in the modern translations leading credence to the corruption as a possible reading.

NIV: (Saying of the "pierced" translation) Some Hebrew manuscripts, Septuagint and Syriac; (of the corruption) most Hebrew manuscripts/like the lion,

CEV: 22.16 "tearing at": One possible meaning for the difficult Hebrew text.

NKJV: 22:16 Masoretic Text reads Like a lion.

The Message simply "translates" the text as:
    Now packs of wild dogs come at me;
    thugs gang up on me.
    They pin me down hand and foot,

Thoughts? If this is a deliberate jewish corruption, why even suggest it as a possible reading?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look in your on-line Strongs and it will show that "they pierce" is not in the original Hebrew but in a side marginal note.

The word is areyeh or "lion-like". AV translators went with a secondary text.

Not the first, nor the last time they opted for it.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what my online Strong's says.

So, according to Strong's, "like a lion" was considered an incorrect copy by the scribes, and the correct reading was added in the margin.

John Gill also attributes the "like a lion" reading to an error of transmission and the similarity of the letters vau and yod.

Likewise Matthew Henry and John Calvin consider "like a lion" to be a corruption. Calvin offers this reasoning:
    In any event, no new translation that I have seen renders the passage as "like a lion." Right now I could see adding a footnote about it as an example of an error of transmission that was preserved, but not as a "possible" reading.

My mind is open, though. Any other thoughts?

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

This is an example of a different understanding of the purpose of the ketiv/qere pairs found in the Hebrew Masoretic text.

The earlier understanding was that the marginal reading was a correction of a corruption which had crept into the main body of the text. The earlier translations used the marginal correction. Later it was suggested the marginal readings were simply marginal notes and the reading of the main text was correct. Later translators used the reading of the main body of text.

The best evidence (as well as the meaning of the words "ketiv" and "qere") seems to suggest the earlier understanding was correct. The LXX reads "they pierced my hands and feet" as does the Vorsage Hebrew text found near Khirbet Qumran in the 1940s which pre-dates the Masoretic text.