1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Limited Atonement: God's Power to Save

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the Calvinist view is not true, it is precluded by scripture. Why did you skip over 2 Peter 2:1 which says Christ bought those heading for swift destruction? Anyone using the word "atonement" rather than reconciliation does not really understand the notion. Using the word "atonement" Calvinists conflate what was accomplished on the cross with what is accomplished when God places an individual into Christ.

So Christ's death provides the means of salvation for the whole of humanity, Reconciliation provided for all humanity and offered to all who hear and understand the gospel. But the benefits of reconciliation are only "received" by those God puts into Christ.

Thus everyone of the "many are called" has the opportunity for salvation, but only the "few are chosen" receive the reconciliation provided by Christ's death on the cross.

#61 Van, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did you not argue based on it that "limited atonement" to be an absurdity? ". . . even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. . . .". Also Jude 1:4, ". . . ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. . . ." A key 2 Peter 2,:1 cross reference.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not address that I did present that the Calvinist view of Limited Atonement was false doctrine. The problem is not with me, but with the false doctrine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My issue with those two stems from experiences. For irresistible grace I've seen folks in my family, all of which are unsaved except for 1 cousin, that go through periods of what I can only term as "seeking for God". Meaning they ask questions and learn about the Lord, yet a couple months down the road they lose all interest again. God is drawing them, but yet they do not convert, which tells me they are resisting. God must be drawing them because man by himself cannot seek God on his own.

For Unconditional Election, when I was Born-Again I was never preached to by a preacher of any kind. I read the Bible in my room one night and did what Christ said to do. At that moment I can recall making a conscious decision that either I fully believe what God says in the Gospels or I don't. Obviously I chose to believe, but I was definitely presented with a choice.

My thought is that God elects those whom He foreknew would accept the Gospel. Many are drawn, but the drawing is not always effectual as man's free will interferes. Without God's Prevenient Grace at the time of drawing man cannot hope to choose correctly. I have no idea what camp that puts me in either ;).

I'd be happy to read your thoughts on it though. I always give brethren a fair shake :).

5. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not label Calvinists as heretics. What I would say is that the foundation {agustine} was Gnostic and you abuse and misread scripture. Other than that not bad just misinformed.

6. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If limited atonement, unconditional election, and other Calvinist doctrines make you think less of God, don't believe them. Your love for God matters more than the rightness of your theology.

1 Corinthians 8:2-3
    Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

My only hope is that you won't become prejudiced against Calvinists as somehow being Bible-rejecting heretics.

7. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a strange leap of logic. Why would what I think of the calvinist degrees make me think less of God? I am not the person that depends upon those to inform him about God. I have creation and Gods' word to do that.

What I do find surprising is the Cognitive Dissonance that is exhibited by so many calvinists.

8. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please elaborate.

9. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    scott

Not unbelievers Christ died for. See unbelievers Christ died for, were by His Death, reconciled to God while they were enemies/unbelievers Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

See unbelievers Christ died for, God for them has been propitiated, His wrath appeased !

10. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    What limited atonement means is that not a drop of Jesus' blood was wasted, that not an iota of His suffering was endured in vain, because it will definitely save everyone it was intended to save.

Not potentially, but definitely.

It might seem like a harsh belief, but limited atonement gives the most assurance for believers that they will be saved and it gives Jesus the most glory, that none of His suffering was endured in vain.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    indeed, as that means that His atonement was a definite way and means provided to actually have some redeemed and saved!

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may regret asking, but where does the Bible discuss this “a drop of Jesus’ blood” doctrine?

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pick one of your favorite verses that Calvinists use to defend your views then compare it to what the bible text says. Have you left words out, changed the meaning of words etc. You have had these problems pointed out to you any number of times yet you fail to see them. The character of God is sacrificed to your Calvinist views.
    The Calvinist determinism is to me the biggest flaw in Calvinism. Calvinism has put God into that box and will fight tooth and nail to keep Him there.

If you want to believe that way it is your choice, well actually that is wrong as under your determinism you can not make choices and what you believe has been determined for you.

14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your statement is false. The observation in scripture of God's sovereignty and authority in all things is found on every page of the Bible. The context and theme of the whole Bible is God's redemptive plan to save rebellious humans according to his perfect will. All glory be to God alone.
    So far, you repeat your philosophy of men like the beat of an Orc drum. You have used and abused the Bible in your attempt to lift up yourself. Any Godward Christian will read your words and know that God does not support your words.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silverhair, I will put the whole context of scripture up against your potshot sentence picking any day of the week. The whole of scripture condemns your view and yet you pimp it out like a Joel Osteen prodigy.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every page but no specific citation. What a joke. Did anyone deny God's sovereignty? Nope so an obfuscation.
    Did anyone say God's plan is not to save rebellious humans according to His perfect redemption plan? Nope so more obfuscation. Then we get the usual you, you you false charges like a sand lot bully. Give it a rest...

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin your over the top comments do get really really trying. You do realize that because of your determinist view when you rile against my free will understanding you are just going against God. Remember "determinism", absolute control of all things. I can disagree with many things you say and because of my God given free will I am right in line with His will, but you on the other hand not so much.

Your determinism really does cause you a great deal of trouble. Look at it this way, as soon as a person tries to *convince* anyone to believe that we are not factually and actually free moral agents, they are explicitly denying their beliefs and/or assertions that we are not free moral agents.

Further, if it really were true that we are not free moral agents,
    then
    we could not reason,
    we could not think,
    we could not believe,
    we could not know.

God's will can be resisted: The Bible has a number of verses showing that man CAN resist God's will: Joh_5:40; Mat_23:37; Luk_13:34; Act_7:51; Mat_21:42; Act_4:11; Luk_7:29-30; 2Th_1:8-9; Rom_10:21; 2Ki_17:14-18

Hard determinism is a natural result of the Calvinistic emphasis on God’s sovereignty. Let me be clear: Every orthodox believer believes God is sovereign. But the classic, Reformed view of God’s sovereignty is a distortion of Scripture. I’m weary of Calvinists who accuse me of denying God’s sovereignty because I reject their views. God IS sovereign. And the free will view that I hold to exalts God’s sovereignty significantly more than Calvin’s view of God’s sovereignty.

18. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 12:32
    And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.

When John 12:32 is interpreted as referring to all people without exception, rather than all kinds of people in every ethnic group and station of life, the conclusion is universalism, which is an unbiblical teaching.

The Greek word translated as “draw” is “helko,” which means “to drag.” John 12:32 must be read in context of John 6:44, which promises that all who are drawn to Jesus will inherit the resurrection unto life on the last day:

John 6:44
    No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

If Jesus were drawing all people to Himself without exception, then so many wouldn’t have turned away:

John 6
    64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
    65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

If Jesus were drawing all people to Himself without exception, He wouldn’t have said this to the Pharisees:

John 10:26
    But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.

John 3:16 and 1 John 2:2 are interpreted to mean that God intends to save all people without exception, but they must be read in context of other passages of John’s writings:

John 11
    51 Now this he did not say on his own authority; but being high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the nation, 52 and not for that nation only, but also that He would gather together in one the children of God who were scattered abroad.

John 17:9
    I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

John 11:52 says that Jesus died, not for all people without exception, but for “the children of God who were scattered abroad,” just as Jesus says in His priestly prayer of John 17:9 that He wasn’t praying for the whole world, but to those given to Him by the Father for salvation.

If John meant the whole world without exception, then the entire world must have been following Jesus in John 12:19, rather than just a large crowd.

John 12:19
    The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the world is gone after him.

John’s references to Jesus dying for the world’s sins includes people from all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, rather than every individual without exception.

Revelation 7:9
    After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands

#78 Humble Disciple, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  19. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must admit you do present some unique interpretations of texts. To bad they are not biblical. But what more should I expect. I have read a number of your posts and you always have a twist included to make them sound like they support your calvinist view.

The only way that Jn12:32 would be interpreted as leading to universalism is from the calvinist view. Just because Christ Jesus draws people does not require that they all come to Him, some will reject the gospel message. But you can not see that as it does not fit your determinism.
    Helkúō draw G1670 is used by Jesus of the drawing of souls unto Him (Joh_6:44; Joh_12:32, to draw or induce to come). Word Study Dic.

When you take the time to look at Jn 6:44 in context you can learn something. Look at what Jn 6:45 tells us "Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me." So we see that the ones that come to Christ Jesus are those that have heard and learned and then they come to Him. They are not dragged as you would have it. You have miss read the text.

Jn 6:64-65 now why you would pick this I am not sure. Here we have Christ Jesus telling these people they can make a choice "there are some of you who do not believe." thus some must have believed what they had seen and heard. Once again we see that Christ Jesus is not dragging them, as you would have it, He is just saying the offer is there do what you will with it. Christ Jesus knowing who would believe and who would not did not cause either choice.

I have to ask you how did you ever get that interpretation of Jn 3:16? Have you not read that verse in context? Try it I think you will see that it is a invitation to all that believe. That is a universal offer but it has to be accepted as we see in Jn 3:18.

How can anyone take what you say seriously when it is so obvious that you write with a clear agenda. Jn 11:52 yes Gods children are scattered thru out the nations of the world. You should know that Christ Jesus was talking to His disciples in Jn 17:9 but I note that once again you avoid context. Look at Jn 17:20 where we see Him now praying for those that would believe in Him thru the teaching of those same disciples.

Must admit I did expect better of you. This is just proves what I have said many times, Some calvinists tend to abuse the scriptures.

20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You work hard to twist God's word to fit your philosophy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.