1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Limited free will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Van, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea we are free to choose from among available options is consistent with our experience. Scripture tells us God sometimes restricts our options, i.e. hardening the hearts of some such that they will reject the gospel, i.e. Romans 11.

So the complete absence of free will is irrational and unrestricted free will is unbiblical. Calvinists assert since we are free to choose among various sinful actions, but unable to choose the narrow path that leads to life, it makes sense for God to punish us for the sin we chose. Rational minds object.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Romans 9 God hardens Pharaoh's heart - but in Exodus it is said that God hardened his heart and that Pharaoh hardened his heart. The same sun that melts butter hardens clay. Some in Egypt were fully convinced in favor of God and left with the children of Israel when they left - others like the Pharoah were hardened by witnessing the same events.

It is not God arbitrarily choosing against one and for another - it is God working the same and man that chooses for or against God.

"HE came to His own and His Own received Him not" John 1 - and yet all the disciples were Jews, so also the 70, so also the 120 in Acts 1 etc.

in Christ,

Bob

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh,so it's your view that the fault of sin lies upon God! Absurd.

In Romans 9:18 it says:
    Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy,and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Then, in the very next verse it tells us :One of you will say to me:"Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?"

Do not blame God for the sin of people. Their sin is their own fault. They are responsible for it. They deserve everlasting punishment. We all do --but some receive mercy though deserving the second death.

#3 Rippon, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is not rational to say that God has to give all of his creatures a chance.

He doesn't have to.

God does what he wants with all of his creatures. And he laughs as little people yell, "It's not FAIR!!! Its not FAIR!!!"

If God answered to those people, which he doesn't, he would say, "I don't care. You are too stupid and small to understand what I am doing and why I am doing it. I don't care what you think because compared to me you can HARDLY think at all. I am God, eternal, infinite, almighty. You are a husk, a worm, a tiny little character I have written into my story. And you're one of the bad guys in the story that the hero dashes to bits. The way you can TELL you are one of the bad guys is because you hate the Story Teller and his complete control over the story. Good guys love the Story Teller and are glad he is the One telling it and nobody else."

There is nothing irrational about a story teller writing characters into his story of all sorts and kinds and doing with them what he pleases.

Nothing irrational at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Apostle Paul reiterates it here:

Now, I know some will quote, "they are together become unprofitable", but that is referring to Adam and Eve, us, their posterity. None of us had the faculties to come to Him w/o first being drawn(I know both sides agree with this, btw). Man's will is bound to his nature. Change the nature, change the will....which only God does.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not either or but both

We can harden our own hearts by the practice of sin. And God can harden hearts for His purpose, such as Romans 11.
    God can choose a person well on the way of hardening his own heart, and complete the process. Scripture does not rule any of the three out.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obfuscation and misdirection

Calvinism says whatsoever comes to pass is predestined to occur. Therefore God is the author of sin. And then the Calvinist claims that is the view of non-Cals, vainly trying to obscure the truth.

Why would God still blame us for our choices after He hardened our heart? My answer is He would not. But prior to that those hardened did make sinful choices, sealing their fate. The hardening, like physical death, simply ends the opportunity to obtain mercy. God, as the potter has the right to harden whoever He pleases.

Why would God do that, cut short the opportunity of some, and endure their hardened behavior? God did so to make known the riches of His glory (see chapter 11), including even us which He called not from Jews only but also from among Gentiles.

Calvinism turns the obvious into a mystery time and time again to pour its man-made doctrine into the text.

Our ability to make choices from among various options can be restricted by God for His purpose, thus the Biblical doctrine is "Limited Free Will."

Romans 9:16 teaches men can will and work to be saved, thus total spiritual inability is once again shown to be mistaken doctrine.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obfuscation and Misdirection times two.

1) Did the Calvinist present a quote where it was said God must give every person a chance? Nope. Thus a fiction posted as a strawman to confuse and hide the truth.

2) Those that disagree with Calvinist are said to hate the Story-Teller, i.e. God. Thus bashing non-Cals rather than addressing the subject of Limited Free Will.

3) Notice the rewrite of what is irrational. God causing people to sin, then punishing them for the sins He caused. That is irrational. Thus limited free will is the rational view.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That much is true.

So what model did GOD pick (not Calvinists)??

He picked the "whosoever WILL" model - as HIS sovereign Choice.

"I STAND at the door and knock if ANYONE hears My voice AND OPENS the door I WILL come in" Rev 3

"God is NOT partial" Rom 2:11

"Come unto ME ALL who are weary and heavy ladened" Matt 11.

"He came to HIS OWN and His OWN received Him not!" John 1.

"O Jerusalem... how I WANTED to spare your children... but YOU would not" Matt 23.

"God is not WILLING for ANY to perish but for ALL to come to repentance" 2Peter 3.

'I will draw ALL unto Me" John 12:32

"God sent His Son to be the atoning sacrifice for OUR sins and NOT for OUR sin only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD" 1John 2:2

"God so loved the WORLD" - not just the "FEW" of Matt 7. "Yes" really!

It is not rational to respond to each of the sovereign choices of God above - "no - not really ALL"

in Christ,

Bob

#9 BobRyan, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the truth of scripture eludes many. Just read Psalm 14 folks. God looked down to see if any were making the right choices. None of the wicked fools who say there is no God had. But keep reading to verse 5, those who call on God, who seek God has a refuge. Thus Psalm 14 teaches that some men (not wicked fools) exercise limited free will and seek God as a refuge.

Now lets turn the page to Romans 3:11 where Paul cites this passage for the purpose of demonstrating from scripture we are all under sin. At a minimum, no one seeks God, requires that everyone turns away from God at least some of time, and so at a minimum, we all have fallen short of the glory of God and sinned. We are all under sin. Again, there is no mystery. Just read it folks.

The fact that we all sin some or even most of the time does not require an interpretation that nullifies Psalm 14:5. Many of us can seek God as a refuge, and trust in Christ, because we are sinners in need of a refuge, the propitiationary shield of Christ.

#10 Van, Nov 1, 2013
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Gen 3 God decides to supernaturally place a spirit of war between the fallen humanity and the kingdom of Satan even though mankind would have a fallen depraved nature "naturally". Thus at the very start - God inserts a supernatural element between fallen man and the kingdom of darkness starting in Gen 3.

In John 12:32 "I will draw ALL unto Me" not just the "few" of Matt 7. "All drawn" means that all the choice that was disabled by depravity for choosing salvation - is fully enabled by the supernatural drawing of God - this is true even by Calvinist standards. So they try to downsize "all".

In John 16 the Holy Spirit "Convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" not just the "Few" of Matt 7.

In Romans 2:13-16 even the pagans who have no access to scripture at all - can respond to that "drawing of all" and experience the benefits of the New Covenant by the power of the Holy Spirit. "According to my Gospel" vs 16

Yet in Romans 1 - we find that not all will accept the Gospel.

in Christ,

Bob

#11 BobRyan, Nov 1, 2013
  12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Scripture Is From The NIV

Your "answer" is dead wrong. People are still blameworthy and deserve Perdition. God is not culpable!
    I have no objection to the above.

Romans 9:23,24 : "What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy,whom he prepared in advance for glory --even us, whom he called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?"

You turn Scripture on its head. Listen and read closely :"It does not,therefore,depend on human desire or effort,but on God's mercy."

That is Romans 9:16 which completely overturns your error. Verse 17 follows with what the Lord told Pharoah:"I raised you up for this very purpose,that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That is the premise behind your OP.

It's perfectly rational. It happens everyday. Rational is not the word you are looking for- immoral is the word you want.

Irrational means it cannot happen. Well, it DOES happen every day in this world right before our eyes. It happens in politics, churches, families, etc... every day. Since it does happen, it is not irrational.

You may think it is immoral, but it is wrong to say it is irrational.

Now, why CAN'T God cause people to sin and then punish them for it?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrational Stonewalling

Only an irrational mind would say punishing someone else for the sins of another is right.

Calvinism turns scripture on its head. And another obfuscation - no one said salvation depends on human desire.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made it up all by yourself to obfuscate and misrepresent and create a strawman.

Folks, judge for yourself. Did you steal cookies from the cookie jar, then spank your kids for stealing cookies. :)

Note the misdirection, why can't, instead of why would He? God does not punish the son for the sins of the Father.

Calvinism presents unbiblical behavior as biblical and irrational behavior as rational. It is mistaken doctrine and the mistakes are obvious.

#15 Van, Nov 1, 2013
  16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I have put the cookies where they can reach them knowing they would steal one and then punished them for it to teach them an important life lesson.

Absolutely.

No, no. You said IRRATIONAL. Irrational means "can't" it does mean "wouldn't"

You are misdirecting.

HAHAHA! Well, as long as you say so!
    HAHAHAHA!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As stated in the OP, limited free will, as constrained and limited by God, is the biblical view. All the passages that address God hardening hearts demonstrate that He limits the choices of some for His purposes, exercising the right of the potter. At other times, Jesus chose to teach in parables to fulfill scripture and preclude some from understanding the gospel.

When you consider all the evidence for the exercise of limited free will the case is overwhelming. We make plans but God directs our steps.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism requires this sort of nonsense. I say punishing people for the action of another is irrational, and Luke misrepresents me as saying "can't instead of wouldn't as irrational. And so it goes, obfuscation, misdirection, strawman argument, anything to obscure the obvious truth, the exercise of limited free will is taught in scripture after scripture.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Irrational means: not governed by or according to reason.

To be unreasonable is to believe things happen that cannot possibly happen.

Your contention in this op is that one cannot cause someone to do evil and then punish them for it because that is irrational.

But since... wait for it... IT DOES HAPPEN... EVERY DAY... it is not IRRATIONAL. It happens. It is not beyond reason to say that it happens when... wait for it... here it is... IT HAPPENS.

IT HAPPENS- therefore it cannot be beyond reason.

Call it immoral if you will but don't pretend it is irrational. It may not be right but it is possible because IT HAPPENS.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the effort to dispute the meaning of words, rather than the topic. More obfuscation, misdirection: Folks that is all they have. Limited Free Will is the Biblical Doctrine. Calvinism is mistaken doctrine and the mistakes are obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.