1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Line Between Heresy and Difference of Opinion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Jan 10, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Herald, thanks for the definition. There is quite a difference. While the word heretic has been used quite often on this board, I have never heard anyone called a blashphemer. I have in my mind as the main practical example of blasphemy as the denying the work or nature of the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit.

For example, there is no doubt the RCC considers me a heretic for being a member of the Baptist church and not be a member of the "one true church" for worship, baptism, and the Lord's Supper. I doubt they consider me a blasphemer because I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Savior, the Father is the Creator, and the Holy Spirit is the One Who convicts, guides and illuminates. They are all fully Divine, and the only ones worthy of worship.

The thought about how other denominations crossed my mind yesterday. We went to a Methodist church at the invitation of some relatives. They have lots of things in their worhip service different like the second Sunday of epiphiany. (January 6 when the Magi caught up with Christ as a child, how they know that I do not know). Anyway, they believe that one can slip in and out of salvation. I wondered if that church thought Baptists heretical because of our belief of eternal salvation.

2. Herald

Herald New Member

Well, keep in mind that Free Will Baptists believe you can lose your salvation. Seems incongruous for a Baptist church to believe that, but some do. Independency has its advantages, but also its drawbacks.

Have a blessed day!

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Some types of Baptists are so far removed from our bedrock beliefs, like eternal security, the do not have any business using the name Baptist. I would think that goes for Baptism by immersion after salvation also.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To muddy the waters here, there are also dividing lines between say AoG views of the Holy Spirit, and the Word of faith...

AoG could be considered as being essentially orthodox, but with regards to their distinctive views on the Spirit misunderstanding the biblical view, but WOF go into heretical views!

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Brother, what about those first English Baptists founded by my namesake? Don't you think they had a right to call themselves Baptist?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold to eternal security, but has that view always been the prominent view?
    I hold to calvinism also, but would that be the prominent baptist historical view?

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of good discussion on the thread. It is WAY past the normal page limit of number of posts (nobody is going back now to read 20 previous pages).

If someone has pertinent thoughts to add, fire away quickly before this is locked down.

Thanks.:thumbs:

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I really haven't participated in this thread other than the following post [I think]. But before it is closed I am going to express my opinion one more time!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also have the interesting situation where aChristians can disagree over say mode of baptism, as I would see it as being immersion, othere "sprinking", but where that view moves froma difference of opinion to heresy is IF one sees baptism making us regenerated/washing away our sins!

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

But Y1, Acts 2:38 does say the following:

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the greek text constructed in a way that would make it mean that peter was asking them to be baptized into Jesus, for He is the source of their sins being remitted!

Directs the sins being forgiven to jesus, NOT the act of baptism!

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I being a protestant...agree with you, but our catholic brethren have a tradition of viewing it different...My point being that the fact that we are all human and fallible...we CAN have differing positions and "takes" regarding the intention and understanding of scripture.

I don't know greek, other than mathematical usage, so I cannot "argue" either way intelligently.