1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Line by line preaching

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Just_Ahead, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a serious question:

What is the name of the style of preaching when the pastor goes book-by-book, chapter-by-chapter, verse-by-verse, and even word-by-word through the Bible? I have heard this style done quite well from the pulpit in some churches.
    I would like to hear it again from the pew or on the radio.

Thank you.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expository, all though it is a bit of a misnomer. All preaching regardless of the "style" can be done in an expository manner.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The late Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones was famous for this kind of 'consecutive expository preaching.' For example, he began to preach on Romans in 1955 and had only reached Chapter 11 by 1968 when ill health led him to retire.
    You can access his corpus at www.mljtrust.org/sermons
    I might add that many people have tried to emulate M.L-J's verse-by-verse preaching, but in my experience, few of them have the ability to carry it off.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    W. A. Criswell (Baptist!):

The Preaching of W.A. Criswell

"In 1946 Criswell began an expository preaching tour through the entire Bible. He began with Genesis. Seventeen and one-half years later, he finished Revelation."

"Criswell’s preaching...had a significant theological impact in two ways. First, through his expository preaching ministry and his study of the Scripture, he became a committed Premillennialist. Postmillennialism had begun to be shaken after WWI and with the aftermath of WWII the Amillennial perspective came to ascendancy in Southern Baptist life. From 1944 on Criswell’s espousal of Premillennialism became increasingly influential in the Southern Baptist Convention and beyond."

"Second, the most powerful influence he exerted within his own denomination and beyond, and for which he will be remembered, is his unswerving commitment to the inerrancy and infallibility of the Scriptures."

Amen & Amen!

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surprised he ever finished, I listened to seven reel to reel tapes of his on Gen. 1. (He may have included vs2. but don't think so :)