1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Linux Help

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Pastor Larry, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Who here is the resident Linux expert?? I asked this question before but got sidetracked since the system wasn't ready yet.

Anyway, I have a server running RedHat 8 or 9 (I can't remember). I just installed a modem in it (hardset to Com 4 IRQ3). I want to use the server as a webserver. I am still using dial up (I know that is so 90s but I need access in two different places and dial up is the only way to get it). Basically, I want to be able to dial out on the server modem and access the internet through the network.

First, I have to get the modem operational. The "query modem" tab says the modem is not responding.

Second, I have to get the internet access out over the router, if possible.

Anyone know how to do this??

2. Shammai

Shammai New Member

I am not an expert.

but...

First question: is it a winmodem?

Winmodems (very popular and often internal modems) are 'lazy'; they use the windows Operating System to force the computer's CPU to do work for them. In essence, they slow down your PC.

So an external modem is often a wise choice. (I have a modem blaster - US Robotics tends to be a popular choice - but just make sure it's not a winmodem - which means reading the documentation for your modem or use pnpdump, noted below)

If you do not have a winmodem there may be another problem.

Linux does not use the windows 'com' port concept; it uses ttys.

normally, if you are logged in as root: in xterm (an x-terminal window in x-windows) "pnpdump |more" -- as I noted below, I'm assuming you have a plug-n-play modem. If the output is brief or has the word "win" in it -- it's a winmodem.

However, your modem query tab does the same sort of thing.

3. Shammai

Shammai New Member

oh, I forgot to be more clear: Winmodems don't work in Linux at all.

4. Shammai

Shammai New Member

Check out this site:
    http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Modems/ISA_PNP_Modems.html

(I assumed you are using a plug-n-play modem. If not, pnpdump is no good).

If you do not have a winmodem and you get a lengthy detail from pnpdump, this webpage has details on how to configure a modem.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is not a PNP modem. It vcan be set that way, but I have it hardset. I will look at that page. Thanks,