1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Linux Versions

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Don, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, my Ubuntu 10.04 wouldn't mount USB drives; went through multiple forums, seeing the same problem for others; but nothing worked.

So I figured I'd try upgrading to version 11.10. That took about 3 hours, doing Linux incremental upgrades. Still no luck.

So I'm downloading the .iso for Linux Mint, to see if I get a better user experience there.

Knowing that there's also Debian and Red Hat out there, among others: If you're using Linux, what version are you using? Or which version of Linus do you recommend?

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I used Xubuntu on VMWare.

I thought that the Ubuntu software center had some programs that help you mount drives.

I wish I could help you but I cannot other than to say that maybe the Ubuntu software center should have some programs to help you manage your drives.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Argh. So Linux Mint failed because the laptop I'm using has a slightly-off-normal wireless card, so Mint won't connect wirelessly. Had to reboot in Ubuntu to search that out. Suppose I could connect with a wire, and then search out a fix for the wireless; but at this point, I've come across references to Xubuntu; and now I see JKD's post about it. Maybe I'll give that a try for the desktop, and keep researching the drive mount problem.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Ubuntu downloaded and installed an update today, and now I can no longer log in.

I've been working with computers since the early 80's; finally got serious about them in the 90's, but went the DOS route instead of Unix. Decided a year or two ago that I should expand my skillset and loaded Ubuntu on a laptop. For general use, wasn't too bad; but didn't get around to really starting to play with it until recently.

The last few days haven't changed my opinion that Linux is more secure than Windows; but the analogy is that you need to be a mechanic to drive this car; whereas Windows requires the average user to only have to turn the car on.

I ain't done yet; but I can't, in good conscience, recommend switching from Windows to my relatives and friends. Yet.

5. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can try Fedora, it's another fairly user friendly distro. I think it's got better support for more obscure hardware as well.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, got Linux Mint 12 up and running with wireless. Never did get the Ubuntu log-in fixed. Had to download and install a firmware package for the Radeon video card in this laptop. Also had to do some package installation for the wireless firmware to get that working. Too bad that known problems don't have those packages included in the OS installation.

Might give Fedora a try later, after I've played with Mint for a while. So far, things Ubuntu wouldn't do (like automount USB devices) are working great under Mint.

HOWEVER, the laptop seems to be running hotter, and I've had a couple of heat-related shut-downs. Will have to monitor that.

I also downloaded the Windows 8 preview; haven't decided if I'm going to try to load that or not.

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just think that VMWARE Player (or Virtual Box) is a good thing to play with when checking out Linux distros.

I think the wireless issues have to do with which Linux kernel your distro is using----I think.