1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Literal Standard Version

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by KenH, Oct 27, 2021.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just learned about this translation a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have any experience using it? I do like that it actually translates baptizo as immerse.

The LSV Bible

#1 KenH, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  2. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears to be outstanding Thank you for the link. From the preface

" The goal of any good translation is to produce a readable text that preserves the original autographic meaning and comes as close as possible to translating, word-for-word, manuscripts that accurately represent the original writings. It’s with this goal in mind that the Literal Standard Version (LSV) was written—a modern, yet literal English translation based upon the most prolific texts: the Masoretic Text (MT) for the Old Testament and the Textus Receptus (TR) and Majority Text (M) for the New. However, in certain, specific instances other manuscript versions and text-types are used where the evidence seems incontrovertible (e.g., the LXX and DSS in the Hebrew and Aramaic; the Alexandrian in the Greek)."

Just checked Mark chapter 1 and they have followed the Textus Receptus/Majority Text!

A beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, Son of God. 2As it has been written in the Prophets: “Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, || Who will prepare Your way before You. 3A voice of one calling in the wilderness: Prepare the way of the LORD, || Make His paths straight.” 4John came immersing in the wilderness, and proclaiming an immersion of conversion for forgiveness of sins, 5and there were going forth to him all the region of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and they were all immersed by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. 6And John was clothed with camel’s hair, and a girdle of skin around his loins, and eating locusts and honey of the field, 7and he proclaimed, saying, “He comes—who is mightier than I—after me, of whom I am not worthy—having stooped down—to loose the strap of His sandals; 8I indeed immersed you in water, but He will immerse you in the Holy Spirit.” 9And it came to pass in those days, Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was immersed by John in the Jordan; 10and immediately coming up from the water, He saw the heavens dividing, and the Spirit coming down on Him as a dove; 11and a voice came out of the heavens, “You are My Son, the Beloved, in whom I delighted.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First I have heard of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LSV uses in the NT what is called an eclectic Greek text. MT/CT readings used are at the publisher's discretion.

6. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is their base text?

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It certainly isn't the Majority Text. I looked up 1 Timothy 3:16 and it has 'who' rather than 'God.' The vast majority of extant texts have 'God.'

Disappointing.

8. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First I've heard of it. While it looks interesting, I just sent the publishers a question. 2 Thessalonians 2:7, in speaking about the man of lawlessness and the one who restrains him, has capitalized "One" and "He". Presumably, this is because they believe the "restrainer" is the Holy Spirit. However, that is adding their view into the text. While it's a popular view, it's not enough to declare with certainty this is who the restrainer is. Aside from that one issue, I am impressed, and will probably buy it. Thanks for the post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    TheIr chosen readings makes theIr text a mix. I used 4 passages to decide. For John 1:18 and John 13:2 they went with the Critical Text. For Luke 4:4 and John 6:47 they went with the Majority Text.

10. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is disappointing, but still does not answer the question of its base text.

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ [Christ Jesus], according to a command of God our Savior, and of the Lord Jesus Christ [Christ Jesus] our hope,
    Twice it has followed the TR MT against NA

2to Timotheus—genuine child in faith: Grace, kindness, peace, from God our [the] Father and Christ Jesus [Jesus Christ] our Lord!
    First variant follows TR MT second variant follows MT NA.

3According as I exhorted you to remain in Ephesus—I going on to Macedonia—that you might charge certain [ones] not to teach any other thing, 4nor to give heed to fables and endless genealogies, that cause questions rather than [the] stewardship of God which [is] in faith. 5And the end of the charge is love out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of unhypocritical faith, 6from which certain [men], having swerved, turned aside to vain discourse, 7willing to be teachers of law, not understanding either the things they say, nor concerning what they confidently assert, 8and we have known that the Law [is] good, if anyone may use it lawfully; 9having known this, that law is not set for a righteous man, but for lawless and insubordinate persons, ungodly and sinners, impious and profane, murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, manslayers, 10whoremongers, homosexuals, enslavers, liars, perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is adverse to sound doctrine, 11according to the good news of the glory of the blessed God, with which I was entrusted.
    I could not make out the variant in verse 4 an agreement of MT NA against TR

12And [-and] I give thanks to Him who enabled me—Christ Jesus our Lord—that He reckoned me steadfast, having put [me] to the ministry,
    Follows TR MT against NA

13who before was speaking slander, and persecuting, and insulting, but I found kindness, because, being ignorant, I did [it] in unbelief, 14and the grace of our Lord exceedingly abounded, with faith and love that [is] in Christ Jesus. 15The word [is] steadfast, and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am first;

16but because of this I found kindness, that Jesus Christ [Christ Jesus] might first show forth all long-suffering in me, for a pattern of those about to believe on Him to continuous life.
    Follows TR MT against NA.

17And to the King of the ages, the incorruptible, invisible, only wise [-wise] God, [is] honor and glory through the ages of the ages! Amen.
    Follows TR MT against NA

18I commit to you this charge, child Timotheus, according to the prophecies that went before on you, that you may war in them the good warfare, 19having faith and a good conscience, which some having thrust away, made shipwreck concerning the faith, 20of whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I delivered to Satan, that they might be instructed not to speak evil

11. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you! In 1 Timothy chapter 1 they never went against the Majority Text. Both times it went against the TR is because it went with the Majority Text.

Disappointing that they chose wrong at John 1:18.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this translation is sketchy too...

John 3:16
    "for God so loved the world that He gave the only begotten Son, that everyone who is believing in Him may not perish, but may have continuous life."

More modern choices would be "one of a kind" instead of "only begotten" and "everlasting life" instead of continuous life. We all live continuously until we don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That translation right there seems good to me!

14. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're okay with "continuous life" Y-1?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as it means eternal, never ending! I was more addressing only begotten

16. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be on the orthodox side it would be best to retain the wording of eternal or everlasting life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fine. The translators of nearly all modern English translations go another way - "one and only" and "eternal life."

LEB - John 3:16 For in this way God loved the world, so that he gave his one and only Son, in order that everyone who believes in him will not perish, but will have eternal life.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like translation revisions to use "eternal" when referring to the "no beginning and no end" life of God, and "everlasting" when referring to life with a beginning but no end.

I would like translation revisions to use "humanity" rather than "world" when people rather than our planet is in view.

I would like translation revisions to use "uniquely divine" rather than "one and only" when Christ is in view.

For example, God loved humanity in this way, He gave His uniquely divine Son so that everyone believing into Him would not perish but have everlasting life.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would imply more then one way to be divine?

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another subject change question. What the word means is a one of a kind divinity.

For example, God loved humanity in this way, He gave His uniquely divine Son so that everyone believing into Him would not perish but have everlasting life.

#20 Van, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021