1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Little League

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by merryyon, Mar 20, 2005.

1. merryyon

merryyon New Member

We are considering allowing our 8 yo to play little league ball. It is a VERY small town....
    any pro's & con's you can come up with???

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think Little League is a great thing.... it gets kids exercise and teaches them the importance of working together in a team concept. It gets them up off the couch and into the fresh air. There are many pros...

The biggest con I see is how many parents act at games/practices....many parents are way too hard on their kids, coaches, and umpires. You would think the World Series was on the line.

Let your kid have fun, encourage him/her, and I think you will be happy with the results. I still look back on my Little League days with a fond memory.

3. MasterWalk

MasterWalk New Member

I know that in my town some Little League games were played on Sunday. This upset some of the church going parents, but I didn't notice any of these parents keeping their child from playing on Sunday.
    I think it is important to get it across to your child that he is part of a church going family, and if there are any games being played on Sunday, well then, he'll just have to miss them because worshipping God comes first. [​IMG]

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our local Little League doesn't play or practice on Sundays or Wednesdays unless it's by mutual consent of most of the parents, and only to make up rain dates, etc. The pros are great...for most kids, baseball is FUN. Of course, most kids won't grow up to be major-leaguers, but virtually every major-leaguer began in LL, with few of them being stars at the time.

Most likely, in a small town, you know the adults involved, what kind of people they are, etc.

First, make sure your child WANTS to play...No one should EVER force a child to play a sport he/she doesn't wanna play. Then, help & encouragement at home are invaluable...things like simply passing a ball with your child, showing them how to care for their equipment, etc.

As for participating on Sundays...Being a despiser of legalism, I'm not gonna comment.