1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Living in sin?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by donnA, Jul 3, 2003.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

How do we define this? What is meant when someone says 'living in sin'? Don't chrisitans sin all the time, in actuality don't we sin daily? I think most people use it to mean people living together, not married. But what is the difference between that and christians who do sin daily? Is it that as christians we can confess or sin and eb forgiven, but those living without marrieage are alwsy in their sin?

Notice, this is not meant to be a debate on legal marriages, leagl licenses, or whatever.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's not a single person on the board who isnt' living in sin, myself included. Excellent post [​IMG]

3. Michael Estes

Michael Estes New Member

It's the difference between living a lie and slipping up every now and then; putting up a fake front instead of giving our faith 100% effort in sincerity and truth and walking Jesus, instead of just talking Jesus, to the best of our ability.

4. Sola-Scriptura

Sola-Scriptura New Member

A person is either "in Adam" or "in Christ". They are either "alive in Christ" or "dead in sin", they are either "darkness" or "light in the Lord".
    We need to start with these categories. For those in Christ, they have an advocate with the Father, they have the indwelling Spirit to produce good works and a life of repentance and love of God. Sinless perfection is not scriptural at all, but Romans 6:1-4 teaches that someone in Christ will change outwardly as a pattern of life because of the change inwardly by regeneration.

1 John 3:4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
    7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concept in I John is "continually practicing sin" from the tense of the verb (in the original, sadly missed in the English translation).

Paul illustrates folks who DID "live in sin" prior to salvation - "Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."

If a person claims to be "born again", Katie, and then continually practices sins such as murder, lying, stealing, drunkenness, homosexuality (from the list in the Bible), one would rightly question whether such a person ever WAS "washed, sanctified or justified".

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Excellent posts, thank you, something to continue thinking about.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well Spoken, Dr. Bob!

I agree that the term 'living in sin' refers to those who sin and intend to continue in that sin. Yes... We all do sin constantly but we strive NOT to sin, whereas those who live under the conditions Dr. Bob brought up have no intention of giving up their 'pet sin's'.

Our pastor recently prayed with a young woman who came to his office and outright told him she was living with a married man and had no intention of turning from that sin. He told her she needed to remove herself from that situation before seeking baptism and church membership.

Diane

8. Larry in Tennessee

Larry in Tennessee New Member

I see it like this. Yes, we all slip up and sin all the time, but it's something that we as Christians don't intend to do. If someone is living a lifestyle they know to be sinful they would be living in sin. It's like a kid and a mudpuddle. Some kids will slip and fall in, while others will jump in feet first.

Larry

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

The expression, as an expression, just means unmarried people living together as though they were married. In this discussion it seems to have been broadened to include all sin. Christians very frequently visit sin but we shouldn't live there. The Bible sometimes uses the word sinner to mean more than just someone who sins (which we all do) but to distinguish between the lost and the saved. In which case, I am not a sinner (by God's grace, not my behavior).

I Pet 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Rom 3:7 For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?

Why are Christians judging themselves to be sinners. We no longer fit into that category. Not because we are so good and don't sin (just ask our families). We are in a new category...SAVED. It is a false sense of humility to claim that you are a sinner when you are a child of God.