1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

local church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gerad, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Gerad

Gerad New Member

Does anyone think that BAptists are carried away with "the local church"? Some of the worst problems in church history were the result of AN OVER-REACTION TO HERESY. Sure, the Catholic church had abuses and popery, and the Reformers gave us evil state churches. But, IN REACTION TO ALL OF THAT, Baptists seem to have gone to the other extreme in claiming that there is not a universal church. Paul said there is ONE church, and he didn't mean the Ephesian church! Jesus said he would build his "church", singular. Further, Baptists claim that every N.T. letter was written to "a local church". Yeah, but that's not denying the catholicity of the church of Jesus Christ. Further, the churches Paul wrote to were not of the 'local church" slant that BAptists make it. Those churches were REGIONAL CHURCHES...CITY-CHURCHES...more similar to a district or synod or diocese than the Baptist "local church" idea of four walls and 15 core members. Come on, now. Baptists need to come the other way some on this. Their version of "the local church" is a setup for the same abuses distinctive of the Catholic church.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been a resident of this planet for nearly 70 years, attending Baptist churches 'bout the same, active member for some 60 of those years, and I have no idea what your point is about Baptist churches.

I've never seen any opposition to the idea of "the church" being the body of believers; as well as the brick & mortar on the corner.

If you're talking about one universal denomination, then I agree, but "church?"; see comment above.

So??

C'mon now, don't you think this is a bit of overkill? Doesn't ring true for any of the churches I'm familiar with, though I won't deny the possibility.

3. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I have been a member of Baptist churches since I was saved in 1963. Each one was a visible assembly of believers who gathered to worship in a particular location.

Baptists in general believe that all believers constitute the "invisible" church. It cannot assemble. It cannot conduct business. It cannot send missionaries. It cannot discipline members. It cannot baptize. It cannot observe the Lord's Supper. It cannot have officers, ie, pastor and deacons. It is merely a belief that all believers constitute the invisible Body of Christ.

Some Baptists reject this idea and subscribe to a "local-church-only" belief. These use the term "family of God" to describe all believers, and totally reject the idea of an "invisible church."

I'm not sure it is going to matter when we get to heaven.

So, I really don't see your problem with the local church.

4. garpier

garpier New Member

Please give the reference to Paul's use of "ONE Church"

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

So. Whats yer point?