1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Local High School

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Aug 15, 2006.

?
  1. Spanish?

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. French?

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Hebrew?

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. German?

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  5. Japanese?

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. Greek?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Chinese?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sign?

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  9. Portuguese?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other?

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What language courses are taught in your local high school (public, private, or Christian)?

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Other = Latin

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Other = English

We have a large non-english speaking population.

4. Karen

Karen Active Member

French, German, Spanish, plus English as a second language to Mandarin speaking students.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Other" = English

This is, after all, the United States.

However, with all the Russians, most kids pick up Russian, and since many of those Russians lived for many years in South America, Spanish is added into the mix, as well as some Inupiq and Tlingit and Aleut...

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our school doesn't have Russian, but we do have a lot of language options -- including Spanish, French, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Latin and Sign language. We also have English as a second language. I wish we had Portugese due to a large Brazilian population and international trade.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Imagine that, learning spanish from a guy with a Russian accent???

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I hadn't thought about it that way, but I'm now getting "B" movie visions...

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It reminds me of when my daughter was about 6 years old. Her school had a very large hispanic population so she had many spanish speaking friends. Her best friend was a guy named Delphino whose parents didn't really speak english.

One day we went to a mexican restaurant where she tells the waitress she could speak spanish. The waitress said several things in spanish but my daughter replied that was not the kind of spanish she spoke. The waitress asked what kind of spanish she knew, my daughter, with a very strait face and as serious as should could be, said, "burrito, taco, you know, normal spanish".

We also had a guy with a heavy Russian accent join the Church (I think he did, well we put his name down but he never came back) and gave a fairly long testimony. My wife asked on the way home what he said (since I was standing right next to him), I told her only the Lord knew cuz I sure didn't. She said, "but you kept agreeing with him and saying Amen". I told her, yep, and everytime I said Amen I tried to take the mic from him. The guy just kept going on and on and on...

Now when I put those tow stories together, I'm picturing my daughter hearing him speak spanish and going back to the restaurant and repeating what she thinks he said...