1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Local Muslim leader met privately with Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Muslim leader from Dearborn met privately with Sen. Barack Obama during his Wednesday visit to Michigan. Imam Hassan Qazwini, head of the Islamic Center of America, said in an email that he met with Obama at Macomb Community College. A mosque spokesman, Eide Alawan, confirmed that the meeting took place. During the meeting, the two discussed the Presidential election, the Arab-Israeli conflict, and the Iraq war, according to Qazwini. At the end of the meeting, Qazwini said he gave Obama a copy of new book, “American Crescent,” and invited Obama to visit his center.

Story Here

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And from the end of the article:

So the point is? Maybe President Bush is a Muslim?

#2 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes it seems like Islamophobia is running rampant among a certain segment in this forum.

From the article: "Born in Iraq into a long line of Shi’ite clerics, Qazwini and his family left for Iran to escape persecution under the regime of Saddam Hussein."

So the Islamophobics among us don't like even the Muslims who were anti-Saddam Hussein? Perhaps they are showing that their Islamophobia only applies to Shiites. Perhaps they are actually pro-Sunni.

#3 KenH, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Yeah, but to imply that President Bush has Muslim sympathies? Isn't that taking it a little far?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Roger, in Pastor Mitchell's zeal to smear the good name of Senator Obama perhaps he figures that smearing President Bush's reputation is just collateral damage.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awwww.. Now you guys have gone and hurt my feelings :tear:

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Didn't mean t do that. Just wondering if you think Bush is a Muslim sympathiser [or even a Muslim] since he was in the article as well.

#7 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 17, 2008
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a news article. Clearly I did not right it neither am I the source for the story. I may or may not agree with the article in part or in whole. But in the blind defense of Obama assumptions have been made about my view. Or it could also be that someone looks for reasons to throw out digs.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Honesty just trying to understand your point in posting the article. Since you did not mention Bush in the title I wasn't sure what you were trying to say. A simple clarification would be helpful.

Do you think both men must have Muslim ties in order to meet this chap? Do you think there is a difference between meeting a man who had to flee Saddam and those who are connected with Muslim terrorism?

Or, do you think it was wrong for Obama to meet him, but acceptable for Bush to meet him?

To me this is typical of what I have been talking about the last few days - harping on the petty stuff while ignoring the real reasons not to vote for Sen Obama. Those could fill this forum on their own.

#9 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 17, 2008
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Just take the article at face value. There is no reason to try and read into what I think. I have already made myself clear on this. I don't know if Obama is a moslem. But there is enough info to consider it. There are enough news agencies out there who are reporting information like this. It goes much farther than just a few of us on this board. You are welcome to believe it is petty. But that doesn't end the discussion for others.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

You mean people who don't mind murdering unbelievers, whose only way to heaven is murdering unbelievers? You mean terrorists who killed thousands of our people, who regularly in muslim countries torture and kill christians, even christian children, who refuse to convert?
    Those people?

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Obama is the one whose been linked repeatedly with muslims, who has pledged support of them, and has an america hating wife and pastor, who knows what he actually stands on that even.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since President Bush has met with this man then evidently you must not know if George W. Bush is a Muslim and you must believe there is enough info to consider it, Pastor Mitchell.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears that an earlier assertion that you post without much thought may very well be true.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, you just don't like it because I defeat you in every debate we have, Pastor Mitchell. But please keep trying. Maybe one day you will get lucky and win one. :)

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And you have just given a clear example of what I just said.

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I guess you won't answer Roger's simple question. Do you think it is alright for Bush to meet with the same people Obama met with? It's really easy, either yes or no.

Perhaps in your zeal to smear Obama, Bush just got in the way.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Maybe I should surmise that you also hate "america" since you refuse to capitalize it and even use the wrong spelling, instead of "america" you should have used American. Maybe we should hold you to the same standard you hold Obama to, what do you think?

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You made me fall off the couch laughing... :laugh: :thumbs:

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Why do you think I am trying to squelch debate? My take on the issue is that this kind of debate helps Obama rather than hurting him. My take is that there are bigger fish to fry than him meeting with a man that President Bush also met.

Why, I ask, is this news? Or, why was it not news when President Bush met with him?

#20 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.