1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Log on to web problem

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by just-want-peace, Oct 26, 2002.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been unable to get my 'puter to auto log-on as it used to do.
    I'm running IE-6, Windows 98 SE.

When I bought this system, about 6 mos ago, I went to 98SE from 95. As I went through all the "do you want to--'s" I selected all to auto log-on, but it just don't do it. I've gone back and tried to make sure that all options that apply are so chosen to do auto. For a while, I always got the question "Do you want WINDOWS to remember your password?", & I always answered yes. Never did it though. Now, I don't even get the question; it just waits for me to enter the password.

HELP!!

2. LindaB

LindaB New Member

1 - Right-click the Network Neighborhood icon

2 - Select Properties from the drop down menu

3 - Click the Configuration tab, and select Windows Login from the Primary Login menu

4 - Click OK, then respond NO when Windows 98 prompts you to restart your PC

5 - Click Start, then Settings, then Control Panel

6 - Double-click the Passwords icon

7 - Click the User Profiles tab

8 - Select "All users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings."

9 - Click the Change Password tab, then the Change Windows Password button. Enter a blank password, then click OK to save your settings and close the dialog box.

The next time you start Windows 98, you won't be prompted for a password.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LindaB, 'Preciate the info, but as soon as I do step 3, I'm told to insert W98 disc; which I don't have. It was pre-loaded when I had my system built, and I don't have the disc.

Thanks for the response anyway!! [​IMG]

4. Sularis

Sularis Member

Do you know who built it?

It's illegal for them to sell you a copy of the
    software and not give you the disks

Although too many stores do it - But be aware that you have the right to cd's disks if you've paid for that software as part of the system

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it just asking you to put in the Win98 CD? Or is it looking for a specific file?

(as in, "cannot find gobbledygook.dll; please insert the Win98 CD")

6. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it asks for the Win98 CD, try pointing it to c:\windows\options\cabs. Many times there are copies of the .cab files (i.e. the CD) in that directory.