1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lone Star

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jun 19, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very good article.

Lone Star

Maverick Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul finds that being right is the one thing his party won’t forgive.

by Michael Brendan Dougherty

At first glance, he looks like every other congressman in the Canon Building. His suit is dark. His tie is striped. He is convivial with his colleagues, who genuinely like him. But there is something different about Ron Paul.

You can hear congressmen when they walk down the hall, strutting their own importance. After all, there are regulations to be implemented, special interests to serve, a teetering American Empire that would collapse without their management. They wear black or cordovan leather shoes—captoes, wingtips, and brogues—clacking down the hall, their bellies full of medium-rare steak from Capital Grille. They are surrounded by ambitious interns and legislative aides. They fiddle with their BlackBerries. You can’t miss them tromping out of the elevators.

Ron Paul is easy to overlook. He takes the stairs; he does not have an entourage. You can’t hear him coming because he’s wearing plain black tennis shoes. In a bag he carries a can of soup that he will heat for himself in the microwave in his office. Beneath pictures of Austrian economists Frederick Von Hayek and Ludwig Von Mises, he will eat his lunch alone and in peace.

- rest at www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_06_18/cover.html

2. billwald

billwald New Member

He is a R in name only. He runs as a R because it is impossible to get elected to a national office as a 3rd party candidate.

3. Conservative Christian

George W. Bush is also an R in name only.

The main difference being that Ron Paul virtually always supports the U.S. Constitution, whereas Bush often doesn't.

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

It should never be about party loyalty but about principles before politics. The GWB administration started hijacking the Republican Party during the Regan administration, they have done much to destroy the party since then. I would rather have a R in name only, than a real Republican who works to destroy our country as much as GWB has!

5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I want a Republican to be a real one. Using the party to further another agenda is despicable. Those that do that are liars.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What is a real republican, and why is Ron Paul not one?

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Someone post the party's "official" platform, then we can all judge who is or is not a "real" Republican.

I think hillclimber will be surprised.

8. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I made no judgment on Ron Paul, but half of Congress is full of Republicans abandoning their principals.

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The "official platform" that was the party's platfrom from the Reagan years untill 2000, or the "official platform" that was re-written by the Bush administration?

10. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I agree with you 100% on that, I would guess that the majority of the GOP members of Congress have abandoned their principals along with the rest of the GOP leadership from the President on down. There are very few members of Congres, like Ron Paul, who are not willing to abandon their principals. Ron Paul is the only candidate the GOP has had on the ballot since I left the party in 2000 that has made me consider changing my party affiliation back to Republican, just so I can vote for him in the primaries.

11. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I agree, but I've not as yet left the GOP.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fortunately in Arkansas any voter can vote pick any party's primary to vote in on election day. The only restriction is that for subsequent any run-off election a few weeks from then you can only vote in a run-off election of the party whose primary election you voted in.