1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Long Hair during service

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Sopranette, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Is it appropriate to style and wear loose long hair during service? I have looked around at the other women, and they all seem to have short or shoulder length hair. I wouldn't want to cut it. When I want to silently pray, and when I am reading, my hair shields my face. Is it a distraction? I'm always with my husband. Thanks!

Sopranette

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How other women wear their hair is of no consequence to you.

Your long hair would only be a distraction:
    • to you, if you were prideful because of it, wondering if people were admiring it or,
    • to others, if it were green or purple or piled two feet on top of your head.
    If neither one of those are the case, then you have nothing to worry about. And whether you sit with your husband or not has no bearing either. Some wives sit with their husbands, some don't because of each one's role in the service.

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Scarlett, for the quick response. Well, I don't know how to pile it up that high, and it's never been any weird color, so I guess I'm alright. It slips if I try to put it up, I end up looking like I just walked through a windstorm afterwards. Now THAT would be a distraction.

Sopranette

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I think that long hair hanging down and "covering" the face is exactly what is referred to in I Co 11. It says that your hair is given to you as a covering and it is specifically referring to times when you pray. I'm not dogmatic about it (Although this is the interpretation I hold my wife too.), but I think you are right on. Just don't get proud because you are right and everyone else is "wrong".

T hat's my opinion.

-lacy

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Lacy. I won't. I remember reading something about long hair, but now I know where that quote is.

Sopranette

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you were born blind what would you say?

7. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Check here for the price of tea in China!:laugh:

http://www.asiachi.com/tea.html

Lacy

8. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let we would do well to be as dogmatic Paul was on this matter

10. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Amen.

Lacy

11. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

1 Cor. 11:15, "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her...." If God didn't like your hair He'd chop it all of for ya :laugh: :D
    Anyway... I totally agree with Scarlett O.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Squire; what does Paul mean here. "we have no such custom as having short hair on women" or is he saying we have no such custon as "contentious?"

Or;

Did he write that whole chapter and then say "forget it"?

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

OK, duh! So I need to get a haircut! :rolleyes:

Ed

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

Sopranette,

My question would be, 'Is this arising because of conviction from what you read in God's Word, or what His Holy Spirit is speaking to your heart? or is it because of what the people around you might think?'

Peter wrote in Acts 5:29, 'We ought to obey God rather than man.'

15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Pilpul From Rabbi Robertsson

As you asked for a rabbinical ruling, let me put on my digital yamulke.
    I take v. 16 as meaning there may be and probably are different ways culturally of obeying the intent of the previous verses. The intent being to show a woman's subservience (that's probably a bad choice of words but its the best one for the moment) to man. The end being if your church denotes male headship in a different fashion than my church, that does not make you a worldly apostate.
    I like to say with verse 16, God made headcovering a CAT3 Truth.
    So, the Holy Spirit is not saying disregard the above. He is saying don't throw right crosses over the above.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Squire;
    You ever think of running for office in the political areana? :laugh: :applause:

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Squire;
    You ever think of running for office in the political areana? I would vote for you for I could at least say "he believes like I do" and not know a thing I said. :laugh: :applause:

18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Alright. I ask these questions, because I don't know the answers, and I know many of you do. It's not out of vanity; just the opposite. If I could, I'd cover my hair altogether. I never said I was beautiful, and is it okay to show it off. So they're stupid questions; that's not a crime. I already realize I only know half of what many people here know, so this is a good place to ask dumb questions without wasting my pastor's time. I never said I was a genius, just a student. To say God will chop it off for me sounds like a very mean spirited comment. Personally, I think God is much more loving and merciful than that, certainly more so than some of you will ever understand. Modest dress is a part of Christian living. Since I'm up front singing often, I feel as if I'm a role model for other young women here, and I'd like to look appropriate. And when what I read is in conflict with what I see, questions arise.
    It seems to me a lot of people come here to brag about how much they know, and to knock others down when they disagree. That, to me, is very un Christ like. We are to edify our church, not divide it.

love, Sopranette

19. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

That's true of some, but I wouldn't call it "a lot." Mostly you've wandered into a place where a few guys are acting like guys, instead of minding their manners because there's a lady present.

If your hair is a distraction to someone, it isn't your fault. One cannot go through life trying to "blend in," because that rule would continually bring everyone down to the "lowest common denominator." Your hair is not green (which would be a perversion) or short (which would be a scriptural issue) or frizzed out like monster (which would be a modesty issue). So long as it doesn't engender pride, God has given it to you as your glory (1 Cor. 11) and you should wear it as a service to him.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with Squire that this is not an issue to go to "battle" over, but I do think the passage is teaching that women should cover their heads for the precise reason given - because their hair is a glory to them. Not so very long ago it was considered immodest for a woman to appear in public with her hair down. Long hair is a glory to the woman and is given to her for the man (husband) to gaze upon and be pleased by it, not the general public. That's why when you see old pictures you rarely see a woman who's hair is not bound up or covered in some way - the older culture believed this way. But, let each man (or woman) be fully pursuaded and serve the Lord in a good conscience.

Here's a pretty good article on it:

http://www.entrewave.com/view/reformedonline/Headcoverings%20in%20Public%20Worship2.htm