1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Longer hymns

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Haruo, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Haruo

Haruo New Member

I enjoy singing hymns by myself as well as in church, camp or other public settings. Some of my favorite hymns are so long, though, that I couldn't even get my church to consider doing them. One such is "Glory to God and Praise and Love", from which "O for a Thousand Tongues" is usually extracted; another is "Wrestling Jacob" ("Come, O Thou Traveler Unknown"), mentioned in the "Our Favorite Hymns" thread here. Still another is A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief by James Montgomery (warning to the Orthodox: this was one of Joseph Smith's favorite hymns, and I first learned it from the LDS hymnal).

Others?

Haruo

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a shame that many churches will not consider using all of a long hymn. Very often these hymns tell a story whose original meaning is somewhat obscured or perhaps nearly lost by cutting and pasting them into two or three verses. I will say that some editing is done thoughtly so as to try to preserve the hymn's intent.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Crown Him with Many Crowns," in nine verses (from two lyricists.)

And the truncation seems to be getting worse. Three verses our of four, two out of five, turning what could have been a five-verse hymn into a medley of three songs.

If we're going to sing, let's sing and learn the hymns so they can be old friends.

4. thetaterkid

thetaterkid New Member

I agree. My church went all out to get the 1991 Baptist Hymnal. Their 75's were in great shape, but was led by the pastor to get new ones (he is no longer there).

Truthfully they only sing about a 1/3 of the hymns from the hymnal. Our music leader tried to use new hymns with the choir first and then with the congregation. The general consensus has been somewhat negative.

I like singing all the verses. We (as SBC in the south) have come accustomed to singing the 1st, 2nd and last.

You know, it's funny, We get shrugged shoulders and no-shaken-heads when we sing all the verses standing up. It doesn't seem to bother them when they are seated.

5. Pete

Pete New Member

Funny really....

Solid hymns (if any do make it onto the play list) have verses chopped out to make them smaller, while I love my cat..or something songs are repeated ad nauseam ad infinitum... :rolleyes:

Pete

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always wondered why churches didn't sing the refrain/chorus less instead of cutting out verses (like singing it every two verses instead of after each verse)

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

It just so happens, last Sunday we did sing a song about all the neighborhood cats. It did make me nauseous, so much so I coughed up a furball. [​IMG]

8. Pete

Pete New Member

We did that at old Church when we had One Day (when heaven was filled with His praises). First 3 verses and chorus, then last 2 verses and chorus. The "1st, 2nd and last verse" thing that happens to hymns now and then bugs me up the wall. There are some very good 3rd verses out there [​IMG]

Pete

9. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Another case in point is "How Firm a Foundation"; I learned this as a five-stanza hymn with the incipits

1. How firm a foundation...
    2. Fear not, I am with thee...
    3. When through the deep waters...
    4. When through fiery trials...
    5. The soul that on Jesus...

but my church's current and previous hymnal both omit the "deep waters" verse, which I find unfortunate.

Later, from the LDS hymnal, I learned that "How Firm a Foundation" has two other stanzas:

2a. In every condition,...

and

4a. Even down to old age...

and when singing it privately I now almost always sing all seven, though very few present-day hymnals have the whole thing.

We have sung the seven-stanza version at Fremont Baptist, in the Sunday Evening servicette, with the whole group singing the four stanzas from the hymnal and me singing solos of the missing three. This could be quite effective as a left-right or men-women alternating hymn.

Haruo

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, that is a good quotation, Pete! Didn't know your church praise team loved that deep spiritual classic "I Love My Cat" too. Thought that was only in the Free church . . .

Will admit that some longer hymns get tedious (Living for Jesus, One Day) but compared to the "7/11" Songs that we have in the CCM crowd, they are a joy!

[p.s. for those who don't know it, 7/11 refers to praise choruses that do the same line or phrase or words 7 times, then repeat it 11 times . . with more feeling, of course. Blahh]

11. Pete

Pete New Member

May I include that on my resume Dr Bob? What a recommendation [​IMG]

I have attended Churches where "I Love My Cat..Or Something" and similar songs are very popular. Seems to be quite a few cat-lovers in Churches these days.

For those who may be wondering, here is an example of an "I Love My Cat" style of song: In the middle of the darkest nights, I hear you calling me, asking me to let you in, I open the door, and your soft warm presence comes to dwell with me...

Though of course you know this song is for you, I think for once I should mention you too...

Sooo...

Here kitty-kitty-kitty... Here kitty-kitty-kitty...
    :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

Hey, maybe I should sell the verse of that, I could make a fortune from it from some Churches :rolleyes: :D

Pete

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROTFLOL! I'm going to use those lyrics . . do they fit about any John Denver tune? [​IMG]

[​IMG] :rolleyes: [​IMG] :eek: [​IMG]

13. Pete

Pete New Member

Dr Bob, I should not have posted that song yet. I have not registered it with CCLI to get my royalty payments from it. You see, although songs like that "drop from Heaven", writing them is also hard work...(Based on a true story, in some music books I have here the writers state that their songs fall from Heaven...and in the back of book there is a copyright warning, a notice saying the Church as a "publishing company" want the hard work of the writers protected, and the obligatory "Thou shalt not steal" reference...) :eek: [​IMG]

Feel free to use it Dr Bob [​IMG] As long as I can mention having the privilege of you quoting it on my resume too ;) [​IMG]

As for the tune, I don't think it would be a John Denver type piece. Like all "I Love My Cat" songs it would have a 60s-70s soft rock feel to it. Think along the lines of a sort of hybrid of Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, Eagles, Abba, etc etc styles...(or lack thereof.. ;) )

Pete :D

14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pete, you are truly an inspiration.

Hear the cats whining
    They're singing that we can be fed again
    Hear the cats whining
    They`re singing it's time to be fed.

The preacher up on the soapbox
    Said it's time to eat, just as he said
    Quickly now, go tell his disciples
    That chow's on the way, we can be fed.

Joy to the world, it's dinner,
    Meow, meow, meow
    We're eating,
    Meow, meow, meow
    We're eating,
    Meow, meow, meow

Meow, meow, meow

[ May 01, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

15. Pete

Pete New Member

rsr, [​IMG] [​IMG] CLASSIC MATE!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am half snorting, half sniffing, and pretty close to passing out here [​IMG] I can't LOL because I don't want to wake up my olds [​IMG]

I wonder what Anne Herring would make of it? :D :D

Pete

16. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appalled, I'm sure. For cat's sake, don't tell her.

I've still got the 2nd Chapter of Acts version around here somewhere ...

17. Pete

Pete New Member

I haven't heard the Acts 2 one mate, I have the Keith Green remake though [​IMG]

I think maybe Keith would have enjoyed singing your version almost as much as the original [​IMG]

Pete