1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking at our Rep. Running for Senate

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Elnora, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Ok, I'm looking at the site of our 5th district Represenative, he's running for Senator against Patty Murray. I read this statement by George Nethercutt ....

"By continuing to thoroughly examine all federal programs and eliminate those programs that are wasteful or unnecessary, Congress will be better able to afford to fully fund those necessary and essential functions of the government. And, by balancing our federal budget, Congress will leave more money in the pockets of all Americans through lower taxes. The goal of this Congress is to provide states and local communities with the maximum authority possible to implement an education system that will meet the needs of its students. That system should emphasize basic education and require student proficiency in a core curriculum of math, science, English, history and social studies. Like most other parents, I want my two children to receive a quality public education that will prepare them to meet the challenges of the next century. They can be prepared to meet those challenges only if their public education system has high academic standards and expectations for students. Those expectations and standards are best set by local school districts, teachers and parents, each playing an equal role in helping students become successfully educated in today's society.

To allow parents to have greater control over their children's education, last fall I supported legislation to expand the education savings account program created by the 1997 Taxpayer Relief Act. The current program allows families to save $500 each year for college expenses. I supported H.R. 2646, to expand this program to allow families to earn tax free interest on contributions of up to $2,500 each year, and to use withdrawals for K-12 expenses as well as college costs. Although the bill was supported by a majority of House and Senate members, the legislation was vetoed by the President. "

http://www.house.gov/nethercutt/issues/education.html

What's up with that? :confused:

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Sounds strange since many people say that Bush is the first president to have never vetoed a bill.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That article refers a bill in the late 1990's when Bill Clinton was president. He vetoed this bill on July 21, 1998.

4. Elnora

Elnora New Member

You're right Ken. So fast forward to 2004. Nothing different except No Child Left Behind. :confused:

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Yep. "No Child Left Alone" is the biggest federal power grab over local education in history.

Bush makes Clinton look like a right winger.

6. Elnora

Elnora New Member

[​IMG] Can I borrow that one?

7. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Sure, in fact you have my permission to duplicate it in volume quantities. :D

8. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Hey Thanks! I will do just that and pass it on. :D