1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a Masters degree course in Biblical Languages

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by andyc, Apr 10, 2006.

1. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know of anyone offering a Biblical Languages Masters that can be done via distance learning? I've been searching Google for the last couple of hours and have not found one, although I have found some MA Biblical Studies that feature lots of language work. I may have to go with one of those but thought I'd ask here in case anyone knows of any.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    andyc,

Do you want an MDiv degree for the pulpit ministry; or you want the plain MA so that you can do on to do a PhD? This seems to be an intelligent qualifying question.

Someone on this thread will be able to answer the question I know.

sdg!

rd

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

You could check out Reformed Theological Seminary's virtual campus distance ed. program. From what I remember, you can take both Greek and Hebrew via the internet. However, I suspect their MDiv requires some short term residency. Worth checking out.

Bill

4. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi there! Yes, good question. I just want an MA because I am indeed thinking about a future PhD.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

6. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

At South African Theological Seminary I noticed you could get an MTh in Greek

www.SATS.edu.za

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    andyc,

I would truly look at the South African program. It is totally flexible. And it is cheap.

One trade-off; it might be hard to find an American PhD program that would consider it fit as an entrance degree for out PhD even though it is accredited by the agency there in SA.

Just some random thoughts to keep you from having to "reinvent the wheel" later on. FWIW!

sdg!

rd

8. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the responses everybody, I really appreciate the help. I'm interested in the South African course but can anyone tell me about how well the seminary is regarded?

I'm only familiar with Bible Colleges here in the UK. Elsewhere in the world, I couldn't distinguish between a college that is higly regarded and one that is, say, a degree mill. (I'm not all at suggesting that SATS has a poor reputation - it's just that all porpspective students need to check this kind of thing out. I hope this doesn't come across as insulting).

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    andy,

It seems to me that you may be asking the wrong group. Usually, those of us in America are asking those of you from the British Empire what the standard is for accrediting your educational system.

An example is, many American profs have started getting educational credentials from places like UNISA (University of South Africa). These type institutions offer a ThD by dissertation only, no class work if one has written a ThM or MA thesis/dissertation.

But, it seems from what I can gather; the British system is set up so one can "read for a degree," or be mentored under a tutor who guides your research to the fulfillment of the dissertation/thesis.

The University is accredited under the aupices of the government. In the USA, the accrediting body is a "third party" in order to maintain a level of neutrality and objectivity. That way, the government nor the institution has any say in what the accrediting agency body says is a standard. Then, the government turns around and gives loans and makes grants based on the accreditation of the third party agency. Go figure!

I would say, from my vantage point, that you would be more able to judge how or if a South African program would be best for you. Use this compare/contrast overview as a tool. I think you will find this accurate in the general if not in the main.

FWIW, I hope this helps. [​IMG]

sdg!

rd

10. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi RD,

Many thanks again for replying. Indeed, I'm really not that well acquainted with any educational system outside the UK. I've never studied abroad.

But anyway what I meant in my earlier post was whether SATS is considered a fine institution. My question was similar to a point you made on another post where you wrote:
    That's really what I meant to ask about SATS. Ultimately, what I want to do is study for a PhD in the UK but I just want to make sure that a SATS masters would help me. To that end, I was trying to find out whether it's considered a good college.

But anyway, thanks again for your input! [​IMG]

Andy

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Andy,

If you are in the UK, why aren't you looking at spurgeon's?

12. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're on of my fabourite colleges but sadly they don't do Masters degree in Biblical Languages.