1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for advice & help

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Midwestern05, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Midwestern05

Midwestern05 New Member

As we evangelize locally here in the Midwest, we pray that our words & actions will reflect Our Lord and will reach minds, hearts & the souls of those who are not walking the narrow road. Usually, we can assist those "Baby Christians" with answers and with solid applications in their new walk. HOWEVER, I, as one person, have just encountered a dilemna that I can't answer nor can I find any Christian/Baptist Brother or Sister who can help shed a light on this. Hopefully, someone on this Forum has encountered this problem & will share.

We outreach into the general community as much as possible including door-to-door. I helped lead a young man to Christ a couple years ago and he has honestly changed in his views, his ideas, his attitudes and his "associates". Most within our church have seen a radical change and have no doubt that he is truely BORN-AGAIN. Recently, he raised a question that has me stumped. He came from a homosexual lifestyle. He is now looking towards dating a woman from the church but admits that he has frequent attacks from the Devil - usually in quiet time spent at home. Other than instructing him to pray & to get into the Word, I don't know how else to advise him.

I have seen & spoken with less than 10 converted homosexuals in my life span of nearly 60 years. I know that he is sincere in his walk but hate to see him troubled by a past life that is no longer his to occupy his time. When he is with those of us at a church outing, in church itself, with other BA Christians, he is very open and filled with God's Grace. The Satanic attacks he's undergoing are a field that I can't help him with.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this?? There have been a few within our church who know his testimony that seem to be less than friendly and less than Christ-like because of prejudice. These Christians are a minority but can not overcome their hostility and prejudice. Their view is not universally shared: ONCE THAT WAY, ALWAYS THAT WAY. This view is >not< according to the Scriptures. Using Isaiah 59: 2-8 among others we advise that they try to open their hearts but there are many who are still distrustful.

The young man I speak of is aware of 1 Cor. 15:53-58 but tells me that thoughts invade his mind at times when he's close to sleep & asleep and beginning to awaken. ...... We have have our torments but none as ominous as he contends.

I appeal to Baptists and any born-again Christian to help me to advise him where to go, who to talk to or any avenue that can help him stay on the narrow path. "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Enter by the narrow Gate; for wide is the Gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction." Matt. 7:12-13

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi Midwestern05,

I think you should remind him, and maybe even yourself, that we all struggle with temptations of different kinds. There is nothing wrong with being tempted or struggling with various sins - what is wrong is giving into that temptation. Homosexual sin, although often different in the eyes of people, is no different in the eyes of the Lord. Any scripture passages or scriptural advice that is applicable to heterosexual Christians struggling with lust is applicable to homosexual Christians struggling with lust.

There are a few Christian organizations that specialize in helping homosexual Christians, like Exodus International, that you might want to look to for more specific help.

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I believe that what this man is going through is common to many Christians. People who have had evil addictive problems in the past, whether of a sexual nature or not, struggle with seemingly unbearable temptations at times. I would think that this is something he will just have to endure. Perhaps as time passes, either he will learn how to deal with them, or they will decrease in severity. The Lord is capable of sustaining and forgiving him as he deals with this situation, and I believe the best thing you can do is be there for him when he needs you and give him your support.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Good website and good replies!

Praying now for this fella!

Diane

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

7. Precepts

Precepts New Member

The key to overcoming our past temptations is to be certain that all the ground we had surrendered to satan has been reclaimed by the Blood of Christ in all points of our being.

The mind is the battlefield and that is where we need to make our embattlements strong by the promptings and gleanings from the Lord.

Our minds are to renewed.

James 1:5 gives us the answer on how to regain ground surrendered to satan, it is a matter of God's wisdom in overcoming the temptations of the flesh:
    "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Many feel intinidated in going to the Lord to ask for wisdom to overcome the very thing we are supposed to be delivered from, the sin that was so prevelant in our lives hindering us from coming to God before we got saved. satan is not stupid and he knows where he had us before and is certain to attack us when we are the weakest, even while we are praying to the Lord.

Jesus said He is given power over all flesh, including ours.

John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

John 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Hebrews 6:17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

My God is bigger than anything the devil has to offer! [​IMG]

8. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Sounds like we have here a young man the devil has lost; he hates that! Since he has lost him (and this is for anyone the devil has lost to the Lord Jesus) the devil goes to plan B, so to speak, that is: destroy his testimony any way possible, shut him up. Let it get out that the Lord Jesus Christ can deliver from homosexuality? Terrible thought!
    IMHO this young man needs to resist the devil, as the scripture says, declaring that, "I am the property of the Lord Jesus Christ, and you are tresspassing on God's property; In the name of The Lord Jesus Christ, be gone!!!" Than make a firm decision that he will follow Jesus no matter what.

9. bobby c

bobby c New Member

Brother
    I praise the Lord for what your doing He is a sinner just like us. I've never dealt with any thing like that but I heard this organization has resources
    www.NewLife.com and maybe someone you can talk to. One more thing will you punch those members in the mouth that you were talking about. JUST KIDDING I THINK.

Bob