1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for an old time Baptist church around the Custer South Dakota area.

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by wjr1244, Mar 25, 2017.

1. wjr1244

wjr1244 New Member
    Site Supporter

I will be in the Black Hills area this spring and I would like to find a church to attend. I know the internet has all kinds of commercials for churches in the area, but that is not the type of church I'm looking for. I went to Gatlinburg Tennessee last year and was able to avoid the highly advertised places and find an old fashioned church with the help of minute books and local knowledge, but South Dakota is a long way from the Bible belt and any associations that I correspond with, (United Baptist: Ancient Christian, Bethel, Union, Ohio Valley, etc.....) I am in hopes that someone might be able to guide me to an old time spirit filled church in that area. Thanks for any information that you all might have. God Bless.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know Brother White of the Bethel association in Missouri? He is best acquainted person I know with United Baptist churches in the U.S. He is a member of the Baptist Board. You should be able to send him a message. Just thinking he might be able to help. His "handle" is "bethelassoc".
    Bethelassoc

#2 rlvaughn, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WJR, if you don't find an old time united Baptist church in that , you might check on this one to see if might be worth visiting:

Liberty Baptist Church
    25127 Harbach Lane
    Custer, SD 57730
    Don Hartley
    605-673-2863

I don't know the church or pastor, but I know a guy who knows a guy...

At least there probably wouldn't be anything outlandish going on there.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bethlelassoc has not posted for over two years

5. wjr1244

wjr1244 New Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, I do know him very well. He is my older brother. I haven't talked to him about this trip yet but I will be. I'm just hoping that someone with local knowledge might chime in. As you said, I don't want to be caught up in anything outlandish. I'll have to ask him why he hasn't posted in awhile too.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, welcome to the Baptist Board, younger brother of a good brother! :)

Thanks, Salty. I had noticed that Bethelassoc hadn't commented recently, but didn't realize it had been that long.

wjr, tell your brother we miss him at the Baptist Board.

• Agree Agree x 1