1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for Referrals

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by BCF Jeff, Jul 3, 2006.

1. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

I hold a BA in Theology from the Baptist College of Florida and am currently looking into beginning a seminary degree. I am not able to relocate and am on a budget. If any of you have a recommendation as to what correspondence or on-line programs are available and advisable I would greatly appreciate it.

:Fish:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sounds like NOBTS for you.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Jeff

New Orleans has 3 extension campuses in Florida. Pennsacola, Orlando, and South Florida (Miami). As well as South Georgia.

http://www.nobts.edu/Extensions/

God bless you in your search. There are also non-traditional (read that distance education) seminaries that you can check out. There was a list of accredited ones in this forum some time back. I just remember the old standbys Liberty, Asbury, Luther Rice, & Regent University.

#3 El_Guero, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two programs I would advise you to look into.

The first is Luther Rice. They offer two graduate degrees online.

Master of Arts (Christian Studies, Biblical Counseling, Leadership)

Master of Divinity

http://www.lru.edu/default.asp?page=degrees

The second is Liberty Theological Seminary.

Liberty offers the following degrees online

Master of Arts Religion http://www.liberty.edu/academics/religion/seminary/index.cfm?PID=7887

Master of Divinity
    http://www.liberty.edu/academics/religion/seminary/index.cfm?PID=7889

They have added a Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling to their online program. I don't have any information on it so if interested you would need to contact the school.
    http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=11310

I finished my Masters of Arts degree in Religion at Liberty via their distance learning program. I really enjoyed their courses. You will find them to be very educational.

#4 Martin, Jul 3, 2006
  5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Jeff

I would recomend the Pennsacola campus of NOBTS - you can take the extra classes you will need at the main campus online &/or by commuting. Unless your college is not home - you are really close.

Wayne

6. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Thanks for your helpso far.

I am located in Tampa, FL now. Pensecola a bit more than a simple comute.:laugh:

7. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Are these school accredited and does it matter to anyone other than students of accredited schools.

8. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

NOBTS and SEBTS require large portions of thier MDiv programs to be completed on their campuses.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Luther Rice is TRACS accredited.

Liberty, however, is regionally accredited, though not ATS accredited (they couldn't do the online degree if they were ATS-accredited...ATS only allows 1/3 online).

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

uh, like I said - NOBTS sounds like the best choice for you. Even tho' you moved from your alma matter . . . ;)

The Orlando campus would work best for you. Until you have a quarter to a third of your degree, most seminaries will let you transfer. For a beginning seminarian, I would recommend the classroom over the internet. Just pick your classes with transferring in mind.

The campus at NOBTS does require resident classes (actually ATS requires this), but they provide one week madules (like doctoral especially D Min programs) and internet to fill that requirement. You do not need to MOVE to NO to finish at NOBTS.

IMHO - NOBTS is one of the better seminaries overall. It is still focused on putting people in ministry and not on academic regalia IMHO. Notice that I did not say they were easy - I hear that they are hard at times.

Wayne

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Follow up question

Jeff,

What do you want to do?

Where do you see yourself ministering? What is your long term goal(s)?

These would help us frame some sort of identifiable answer.

sdg!

rd

12. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

What kind of Financial Aid is available for seminary? NOBTS in particular.
    I'm still paying for my BA and NOBTS's application requests how I plan to pay for seminary. I funded my B.A. through a combination of Pell Grant, work two jobs, and student loans.

#12 BCF Jeff, Jul 3, 2006
  13. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

I would like to continue pastoring churches.

I would like to eventually ministry outside of the Bible Belt.

Educationally my long term goal is the MDiv.

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes. Liberty is accredited by SACS and TRACS, Luther Rice is accredited by TRACS. I would never recommend an unaccredited distance learning school. I also agree with those who are recommending New Orleans Seminary. Great school.

As for Liberty's MDiv, most of it can be completed online. However you will need to take one or two classes on campus (one-week long intensives). However Liberty does not offer languages online, Luther Rice does.

#14 Martin, Jul 3, 2006
  15. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try this!

Asking for referrals:

Look at the MTh program at South African Theological Seminary. If I were younger, knew about it then, and where you say you are I would consider it. It is supposed to be accredited by the gov. of SA. They are the ones that accredit the public education programs in the English model used in SA. UZThD did his doctorate there you might want to have him chime in here for his two cents worth.

It is more than reasonable, it is even cheap by US standards. And you can stay home. The major draw back is one has to do the degree by thesis. You have to write with your adviser/mentor overseas. It takes a lot of personal discipline and research skill to do the program but if God has called and equipped you I am sure you can follow through and do it.

Maybe old UZThD will come in here and help us out. I would really have to take a long and serious look at it I believe. Here is their web page:

http://www.sats.edu.za/index_new.html

Check it out and see what you think.

sdg!:thumbs:
    rd

16. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I did a research ThD-no classes- through Unizul without having to go to SA and with a cost of about $3000.

Unizul differs from SATS in that Unizul (Univ of Zululand) is a public university which graduates 2500 residential students a year and offers grad degrees in many areas. SATS is a much smaller private school emphasizing distance learning..

While both are accredited by the government of SA- the South African Qualifications Authority- the public unis as Unizul, Stellenbosh, Unisa et al are more substantial.

SATS offers an MTH, equiv to an MA- by either course work or the writing of a 140 page thesis. Probably cost would be around $3000 and SATS has a reputation for being very helpful and responsive.

IMO an Mth should NOT be done by thesis, but only by coursework.

I understand SATS is somewhat charismatic. That would not bother me. What does bother me is that the founder has two unaccred, millish docs (and later got a genuine one) and that when I interacted with a SATS administrator he said the doctrines of God and the Person of Christ are lightly covered because they are "speculatative." AS these doctrines are my major interests, I dislike that about SATS.

One considering a foreign degree should research its utility in the US. Will it open doors and prepare you for what God has called you?? Will a denomination or school accept it?

IN my case, I wanted to teach. But I already had finished work for three Bible/Theology masters degrees in US schools, and two teacher programs (English/Special Ed) in two universities,so my grad work was rooted in US residential programs in brick and mortor institutions.

The SA degree which is accredited by SAQA is the equivalent technically of Regional Accreditation. But the issue is, who recognizes it as such. Fortunately for me, the seminary pres who hired me understood and pronounced my doc the equivalent of RA. But it probably helped my case too that we shared an alma mater in Western Seminary.

BLessings on all who study hard to serve.

Bill G.

#16 UZThD, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006