1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Loosing to win

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Salty, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back some 20 years ago, there was a baseball strike, in the middle of the season. It seems MLB had a playoff between the 1st half and 2nd half winners to determine the league champion.
    Somehow it seemed that in the second half a certain team had to loose a game or two to come in second place to make sure they made the playoff. Does anyone remember the specifics of that was?

Just wondering

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall a team in MLB ever having to lose a game to make the playoffs. In that season there were two winners for each division based on the split season and those two teams met in a playoff series to advance to the league championship series. I think that the Astros lost to the Dodgers in the West division series and I think the year was 1981.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

A link that will help answer your question is here.

I was 12 at the time of the strike and was pretty upset about it. I was even madder when my beloved Cincinnati Reds got screwed and didn't make the playoffs despite having the best record in baseball.