1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lord's Day

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by wopik, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quoting wopik, QB, The resurrection of Christ was already [ca. 140 AD] felt to be a valid motivation for assembling on the day of the Sun to offer worship to God. QE

You speak as if the resurrection of Jesus is an INvalid motivation for Church-going on the day of its event.
    Well. What made the creation-Sabbath a valid motivation for assembling on the day of God's rest? NOTHING BUT God's rest, of course! As the Commandment reads!
    And what made the redemption-from-Egypt-Sabbath a valid motivation for assembling on the day to "remember"? NOTHING BUT the Exodus, of course.
    And what makes these two events so great and meaningful? Isn't its GREATNESS as the DEEDS OF GOD? Of course, NOTHING BUT IT!
    Then what do you do with Jesus' resurrection from the dead?
    I leave with your own answer, but shall ask you to consider it in the light of Paul's words of Ephesians 1:19 further.

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I have alway heard that we should be like Jesus and use the way he did things and how he walked as an example in our life. He went to the temple on the 7th day of the week sabbath not the 1st day of the week. He kept it on the 7th day it was only after He was crusified that it was changed (by man?). (One story I heard about how it got changed is that a Catholic priest wanted to get pagans in their church, so viola! Sunday church services...... Just for that simple reason that I am not catholic I would keep the 7th day of the week as the sabbath because Jesus did. But there are no churches open in my area (that I am aware of) on Friday evening or Saterdays.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Don't feel lonely. I am to myself assuming, when I in such times think of Eliah, when he complained to God he was the only one left believing. Don't feel lonely, because I would say just about every one of those Sunday-going-toChurch-folk are honest to goodness children of our heavenly Father. Their compay is the Communion of the Saints - they are Christ's Church no matter what their Sunday beliefs. They are my brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ - they love me despite me, and I love them despite ME - the life of us all are hid in Christ in God -what blessed assurance.
    Maybe some day God by His Spirit and according to His own will and dispensation, may persuade them of their mistake as concerns their Sunday-worship. I may sound arrogant saying that. God's wil be done!

4. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Acts 20:7

This is the clearest verse in the New Testament which indicates that Sunday was the normal meeting day of the apostolic church. Paul stayed in Troas for seven days (V. 6) and the church met "on the first day of the week." Luke's method of counting days here was not Jewish, which measures from sundown to sundown, but Roman, which counted from midnight to midnight. This can be stated dogmatically because "daylight" (V. 11) was the next day (v.7) that followed his preaching until midnight of the first day.

Christ was resurrected on the first day of the week, the Church began at Pentecost on the first day and church will be raptured on the first day, the Lord's day (Rev. 1:10).

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear friend, you employ about every trick in the books and out of them to defend your Sunday-persuasion.
    But read a few threads from this Forum, and then we talk again.
    I'll put a few things straight before, to keep in mind while you read:
    "This can be stated dogmatically because "daylight" (V. 11) was the next day (v.7) that followed his preaching until midnight of the first day."
    "Next day" in verse 7 is ep'-aurion - literally "after-morning" or last part of the upcoming of the sun, in other words, from sunrise to midday. It is NEVER used in the NT for any time of night before sunrise, and it is NEVER used in the NT for any time day after midday. You find in English (and I would say in about all languages) the same thing: "tomorrow" / "next day" for in fact the next MORNING, and in fact the morning BEFOR midday.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To reply on the last lines:
    In Greek it would have to read (en) tehi miai (hemerai) sabbatohi (Dat) - actually it reads eis mian sabbaton - Akk. Or it could have read - if it meant "on the First Day" - mias sabbatohn (Gen)
    Why does it not?
    Because it uses the Genetive for the first phrase, opse sabbatohn - "Sabbath's-time"!
    Why could it not use the Dative in the second phrase? Because it uses it in the first: Sabbatohn tehi epiphohskousehi - "Sabbath's in the very being of (day's) light"!

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pardon me the spellinmg mistakes (and lots of typing errors) like in Genetive.

8. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Gal. 2:14 NIV
    When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "you are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?"

Titus 1:13-14
    This testimony is true, Therefore, rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the commands of those who reject the truth.

Titus 3:9
    But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly!
    You should have added Galatians 4:10 and context, which explains where Sunday-"OBSERVATION" (no mistake) comes from: "You served / worshipped NO-GODS" - or practiced idolatry! How? "You OBSERVED days": the PAGAN practice from which the days of the week got their planetary names.
    Yea, why not rather believe and obey God? His Christ in the last analysis, is His Holy Law! Then one will not keep an empty Jewish Sabbath Day, but will keep the Sabbath the LOrd Jesus' Day!

10. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Thanks Gerhard for the addition, I now have Galatians 4:8-10 underlined.

Judaizers were a problem to "the churches in Galatia," they were Jewish Christians who believed, among other things, that a number of the ceremonial practices of the OT were still binding on the NT church. By introducing additonal requirements for justification (e.g., works of the law) Paul's adversaries had perverted the gospel of grace and, unless prevented, would bring Paul's converts into the bondage of legalism.

The "special days" such as the Sabbath and the Day of Atonement, which had never been, and can never be, in themselves means of salvation or sanctification. The "months and seasons" such as New Moons, Passover and Firstfruits and the sabbath year were being imposed on the Galatians. The Pharisees meticulously observed all these in an attempt to gain merit before God. It is by grace through faith alone that people are justified, and it is by faith alone that they are to live out their new life in the freedom of the Spirit.

Wish I had known of the above verse when posting on Zola Board, there were Judaizers stirring up the pot on that message board.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I must mnt have made myself clear.
    If one judaises, he observes the Law - as Ignatius said - "without Christ" - and that is abominable to God. But their is a "keeping of the Commandments of God" WHICH IS "the faith of Jesus" - "against such things the Law IS NOT". All the Christians' 'obedience' is for the sake of Jesus Christ and by the power of His Holy Spirit.
    That is PROTESTANT FAITH.
    That Protestant, Reformed, Faith, says this (Belgic Confession or 'Standard of Faith'):
    This banquet is a spiritual table at which Christ communicates himself to us with all his benefits. At that table he makes us enjoy himself as much as the merits of his suffering and death, as he nourishes, strengthens, and comforts our poor, desolate souls by the eating of his flesh, and relieves and renews them by the drinking of his blood.
    Colossians 2:16-17 speaks OF THIS! It is a Sabbaths' celebration in fact - a Christian celebration of the Sabbath Days. Never had there been a Christian Congregation or a Lord's Supper had there not been THESE "Sabbath Days".
    Don't be mistaken!
    Galatians speaks of PAGAN "observation" - idolatrous SUPERSTITION - of which Sunday-observance was chief!
    It too, was "NOT according to Christ", as Paul says in Colossians, and as Ignatius complained in his Letter to the Magnesians.
    I hope this explains what my stand is - I can never compromise with the idolatry that Sunday-holiness IS!

12. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Galatians speaks of pagan and Jewish observations. Before the Galatians knew God they were enslaved to pagan observations such as legalistic trust in rituals, in moral achievement, in the law, in good works or dead orthodoxy. When the Galations were pagans, they thought that the beings they worshiped were gods; but when they became Christians, they learned better (see 1Cor. 8:5).

Now that they knew God they were falling victims to Judaisers and their practice of "observing special days and months and seasons and years." With their observation of Jewish rituals they were "turning back to those weak and miserable principles" typical of their former pagan lives. Before the Galations became Christians they followed pagan practices, now as Christians they were following Jewish practices. Whether pagan or Jewish, both are enslavement to the principles of man.

13. wopik

wopik New Member

Colossians 2:16 is the first scripture to give a certain reference to the Sabbath and annual holy days.

Yet again we have a problem of background. We evidently have a syncretistic group exploiting the Church at Colossae.

Certain ascetic practices of pagan philosophies are mentioned (Col 2:8, 18-23). Therefore, it is not surprising that Paul says, "Let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink," since some people apparently were passing judgment.

Of course, eating and drinking are only a "shadow" (forerunner) of what is to come, but the solid "body" (ultimate goal) belongs to Christ.

Does that mean we should no longer eat and drink? Hardly. Paul is showing that the ascetic practices some wished to enforce were of little real substance, Any eating or abstinence is not the end but only a means to an end.

A Sabbath observer could say the same about the Sabbath and holy days. They are — not were — a shadow of what is to come; and therefore are still important and necessary, just as eating and drinking are.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not another thread on the Sabbath day debate. Hasn't this horse been beaten thoroughly???

15. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

The ceremonial laws of the OT are here referred to as shadows (Heb. 8:5; 10:1) because they symbolically depicted the coming of Christ; so any insistence on the observance of such ceremonies is a failure to recognize that their fulfillment has already taken place in Jesus Christ.

Do you recognize Christ, have you died "to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch! These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings" (vs. 20-22).

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Galatians speaks of pagan and Jewish observations. Before the Galatians knew God they were enslaved to pagan observations such as legalistic trust in rituals, in moral achievement, in the law, in good works or dead orthodoxy. When the Galations were pagans, they thought that the beings they worshiped were gods; but when they became Christians, they learned better (see 1Cor. 8:5).

Now that they knew God they were falling victims to Judaisers and their practice of "observing special days and months and seasons and years." With their observation of Jewish rituals they were "turning back to those weak and miserable principles" typical of their former pagan lives. Before the Galations became Christians they followed pagan practices, now as Christians they were following Jewish practices. Whether pagan or Jewish, both are enslavement to the principles of man.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Paul says the Galatians "RETURNED" to ther FORMER sin of idolatry - plainly and clearly, and then, PAUL, - not interpreters - explains what THAT FORMER IDOLATRY was: "OBSERVATION" - not "observance" - of "dayss, seasons, years".
    Now scholars say, no, Paul talks nonsense, what the Church in Galatians actually did - WE KNOW BETTER than Paul, was: "now as Christians they were following Jewish practices". (You only repeat what they have asserted millions of times.
    With no effect, for the Word of God - here in Gl.4:10 - stand irrevocable as do stand the Lord's Sabbath Day.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Sabbath-horse is gonna iritatre and plague you wherever you turn because there's no Christianity it hasn't got bearing on, and for as long as you ride the Christian train drawn by its single old scabby cockle-burr infected mule.
    Try ignore God - He won't ignore you!

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I forgot to say that old mule's name is Sunday.
    Besides - isn't this thread about "the Lord's Day"? - non other than the Sabbath Day?

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ceremonial laws of the OT are here referred to as shadows (Heb. 8:5; 10:1) because they symbolically depicted the coming of Christ; so any insistence on the observance of such ceremonies is a failure to recognize that their fulfillment has already taken place in Jesus Christ.

Do you recognize Christ, have you died "to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch! These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings" (vs. 20-22).
    </font>[/QUOTE]If one would place each word of yours in one of two categories, the first, words and ideas of Paul's in this passage and context, and the second foreign and irreletive words and ideas - purposely inported by Sunday-argumentations, the first will fly into the sky if put on the scales.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

</font>[/QUOTE]If one would place each word of yours in one of two categories, the first, words and ideas of Paul's in this passage and context, and the second foreign and irreletive words and ideas - purposely inported by Sunday-argumentations, the first will fly into the sky if put on the scales.