1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lord's Supper

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by buckster75, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Question. Is it the denominational church that communes with God, or the individual that is in the Body of Christ Church?

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

who makes the call to cancel a scheduled LS? something came up affecting the "spiritual mood of the church" and the pastor felt it was necessary to postpone it. He was severly chastised by a few members of the church who felt the church should make the call even though there was no time to do so.

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

so can a non member partake?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have Lord's Supper each time the church meets. No one "calls" it or "cancels" it.

And as a body we may invite someone visiting with us to partake. 99.9% of the time it will be our own body, but occasionally visitors may come by invitation. One of the elders will talk prior to them about the Lord's Supper to be sure of their beliefs.

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

so if someone got up just prior to the LS and called another member a liar(or some other accusation ) and brought much confusion to the assembly you would still go on withe LS.

so a nonmember under church disipline from another church could "sneak" in and partake?

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Very good question. Scheduled LS should always be carried out. The opportunity should be given to any that wish to partake in the setting of the congregation.

If all deem themselves to be unworthy, this “remembrance” should not be done in the church or at home, or anywhere else.

If one person, or a family in the church feels they must take communion on a certain day (church calls-off), then they should do it at home or a restaurant. However, I believe if this is a “must” for an individual then they have the wrong idea of what the LS is all about.We have no command to do it.

I ask the question again, “Is it the denominational church that communes with God, or the individual that is in the Body of Christ Church?” Christian faith, ituttut

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "body" is the group of believers. It is one of the most fundamental metaphors for a local church (along with building and bride).

Communion is NEVER an option for a family to do "on their own". Same with baptism. These are LOCAL CHURCH ordinances, not individual duties.

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Not quite sure what you mean by the phrase “on their own”. Are you saying a member of a church must go to a church, and is then prohibited from approaching God without a human mediator, such as the Pope, or a Preacher/Pastor? Christian faith, ituttut

9. jim1203

jim1203 New Member
    Site Supporter

Must a person be baptized to partake the Lords Supper?

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Baptized by the Holy Spirit, Yes. I believe the individual is saved immediately upon belief of the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, the Holy Spirit doing so, sealing us into the Body of His Church. Otherwise I don't see how it is possible we can commune with Him. Christian faith, ituttut

11. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

12. jim1203

jim1203 New Member
    Site Supporter

Originally posted by jim1203:
    Must a person be baptized to partake the Lords Supper?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Baptized by the Holy Spirit, Yes. I believe the individual is saved immediately upon belief of the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, the Holy Spirit doing so, sealing us into the Body of His Church. Otherwise I don't see how it is possible we can commune with Him. Christian faith, ituttut "

I was talking about being baptized in water

jim

13. PeterMeansRock

PeterMeansRock New Member

POST DELETED ---- Baptist Only forum. Non-baptists may not post in areas marked as "Baptist Only" per board rules that every member agrees to abide by upon registration.

[ December 15, 2005, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I know. Christian faith, ituttut

15. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

IMHO...
    </font>
    1. If you are not a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.</font>
    2. If you're heart isn't right. Meaning: I won't partake if I am angry with someone. I want all issues resolved so as not to interfere with the benefits of partaking in the Lord's Supper. I am "unworthy" if I'm carrying around anger toward someone.</font>
    So there have been times when I have not partaken when it was offered because I felt myself "unworthy".

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2011:27-32;&version=50;

16. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member