1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lordship necessary for salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, as a linguist I go with the meaning of the word as used in a particular language. Certainly Christ is King and Christ is Lord, but they are not and never will be synonyms.

And I'm really disappointed with your phrase "debased position." Simply because I insist on what I believe to be the normal meaning of words, I have a "debased position?" Do you not believe that Christ "made himself of no reputation" and was "found in fashion as a man" and "humbled himself" until He actually died on the cross? Is that a "debased position"? And that because of that God the Father gave Him a name "above every other name?" (Phil. 2:5-11) That's what I believe about Christ, exactly what the Bible says. Christ Himself emptied Himself (the kenosis) on the cross.

Now, since you obviously believe that king and lord are synonyms and I obviously do not, and because of that you say I have a "debased position" about my precious Lord and Savior Jesus Christ simply because I won't agree with you on the matter, I will henceforth leave this subject alone (king and lord) and answer no more.

My position about my precious Lord and Savior as King and Lord is far more detailed and deep than I can describe here on a simple Internet forum, and you've not begun to understand it if you think I have a debased position.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've said all of this already, but all you will do to prove it is list a bunch of verses saying that Christ is Lord, something I completely agree with.
    Sorry, I live in Japan and can't see American commercials.
    You're preaching now, not debating. This is a debate forum. Prove from the Bible that people are commanded to confess Christ as Lord in order to be saved. The only Scripture you've given that comes near to proving this is Rom. 10:9, and you never answered any of my Greek analysis of that.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 2427 has said that the only place that gives my view of the Gospel is 1 Cor. 15:1-8, but apparently Paul's view of the Gospel is not good enough. We must look other places in Scripture to find the true Gospel. Let's do that.

Consider the Great Commission, give five times in 5 different ways in the Bible. Matthew simply says to go and "teach all nations," not giving the content of the message. Mark is better, using the term Gospel and talking about believing (but not about confessing Christ as Lord). John says we are sent as Jesus was sent by the Father, but gives no content for the message. Acts simply says that the apostles were to be witnesses for Christ.

Ironically, it is the version of the Great Commission in Luke 24 (thinking of Luke 2427's BB name :smilewinkgrin:) where we hit paydirt. There Christ gives the specific content of the message: "46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And ye are witnesses of these things."

This is the Gospel, exactly the message that Paul gave in 1 Cor. 15:1-8. And Christ nowhere says anything in this or the other Great Commissions about confessing Christ as Lord. (And He is Lord, make no mistake about that--I believe that with all my heart.) Furthermore, throughout the book of Acts, Luke records how over and over the apostles and others gave that exact message: Christ died for our sins and rose again the third day, so repent! Yet nowhere in the whole book of Acts (the only place in the NT where we learn the history of how the early church gave the message) do we find any apostle, deacon or preacher telling people to confess Christ as Lord for salvation!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.