1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lordship Salvation and Eternal Security!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

When did he say that? He never said "Jesus I want to be saved, but when I get their I want to go through heaven stealing."

You have to "assume" that the new life of Christ, would have the same type of effect it had on every OTHER person who was saved in scripture: they continue to follow Christ. Scripture states that those who do not do so, were never His.

The story of the rich young ruler is undeniable> it points to exactly what is being discussed here. He was unwilling to submit to Christ, and went away unsaved.

But actually since this is a claim often made by the other side, lets look> did the thief produce fruit? YES! A changed attitude, and submission to Christ as Lord!

Luk 23:39 And one of the hanged criminals blasphemed Him, saying, If you are Christ, save Yourself and us.
    Luk 23:40 But answering, the other rebuked him, saying, Do you not fear God, since you are in the same condemnation.
    Luk 23:41 And we indeed justly so, for we receive the due reward of our deeds(he confesses His sins; he is repentant), but this Man has done nothing amiss.
    Luk 23:42 And he said to Jesus, Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.
    Luk 23:43 And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you, Today you shall be with Me in Paradise.

There is no doubt here, the thief changed his ways, even though he was unable to demonstrate it.

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Me too! :thumbs: And I noticed the "and" that separated two separate "steps" -- justification and sanctification -- too!

IOW, you could disciple them without saving them OR save them without discipling them. Sorta that "Paul-Apollos" thing (1Cor 3:6) where one plants, the other waters, but God gives the increase. :godisgood:

skypair

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Your answers are not at all connected to the specific questions I was asking of Havensdad.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know all this already - what you say misses the points of my posts. The posts were not about the fact there is a cost in following Christ. I agree with that.

Go back and read my posts and all the posts by Havensdad to which I was responding. In one case, it was referring to a passage and then saying those that were there obeyed and believed and were saved, when in that particular passage, there is no reference for this at all. In other words, the bible does not tell us there were people there who obeyed and were saved. That is what I was pointing out. But I think Havensdad and I sort of hashed it out.

Here's one point:
    Where does the bible say "Obey and you will be saved?"

Or "Salvation comes by obedience."

I think the OT shows us that no one was saved by obedience because they were all so disobedient!!

We are saved by grace through faith.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The only "cost" involved in my salvation was admitting I had sinned against God. Nobody told me I had to accept the "cost" of following Christ. It wasn't until after I was saved that I understood what it means to follow Christ.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Even if the rich young ruler had given away all his wealth, that would not have saved him. It would have to be faith that would save him, right?

Btw, I lost all my friends when I was saved -- all of them. And I was a single mother at the time with no Christian friends and no family around (and my parents were not believers). So I experienced a cost right off - but it was not in my mind at all at the moment I believed in Jesus.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But from the point of conversation on has to do with "making disciples," agreed?

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Absolutely!

skypair

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

Right on!

I'm sure Calvies would agree -- the "salvation part" cost you nothing! It's what happens afterward where you start "counting the costs." Many in your shoes would have gone back to the world rather than to follow Jesus. They are saved; they know it; nothing anyone can do about it. Praise God you chose to follow Jesus and may His grace be sufficient, Marcia! Great testimony!

skypair

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Semantics. It would have been his faith that would have caused him to obey Jesus.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for the encouraging words, Skypair! :wavey: I still miss those friends although I've moved away from Atlanta where they were. I feel sad about them as I'm sure most of them are not saved but still caught up in the New Age as I was. I am so grateful for God's mercy!

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Right, but it's his faith that would have saved him. The obedience would come afterwards. Salvation, then discipleship and obedience. Of course, our walk with the Lord is not a consistent line moving forward, imo. It's forward, forward, back, forward, forward, forward, back, back, forward, back, forward, etc. Good thing for us the Lord is faithful since we are not! :godisgood:

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Read the Bible. What did Jesus say to him?

Mar 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
    Mar 10:22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But I think we already cleared up the fact that even if this man had done this but had not had faith in Jesus he would not have been saved. Or are you saying the mere act of selling his possessions and giving to the poor would have saved him?

I can see that perhaps if the man had obeyed without faith, he might then have had faith later, but that does not mean we are saved by obedience.

15. skypair

skypair Active Member

You're right, Marcia. The poor -- not rich -- guy had done all he knew to do and Jesus agreed that he had an "OT salvation." But would he follow? Would he become a disciple and "open his eyes" even more to the "kingdom?"

skypair