1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lordship Salvation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by James_Newman, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Craig, Thanks for sharing your testimony. I don't understand what you mean by we don't have to ask Him to save us.

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Dwayne,

No, no. Craig does not saying that. Of course, Jesus Christ is our Saviour. He came to earth to saved us from all sins and hell. We do not desrve trying to enter into heaven by ourselves through our own self-righteous and good works. Christ forgived us our sins through his blood. Without his blood, there is no forgiven. Thank God, for Jesus Christ died on the cross four our sins, also, He already overcome death, He victory over it for us.

Christ washed all our sins away all of our past sins. But, Christ commanded us to confess our future sins to him faithfully - 1 John 1:9. Or, if we don't, then Christ would not forgive our sins. If we remain with sins without confess, Christ would remain not forgive us all the way till our death, then will remain lost without repentance go to everlasting life. It according to Matt. 19:34-35.

Yes, everyone need Savior to save them from everlasting fire and their sins. They have power to enter into heaven without have Jesus Christ. They need to ask Jesus to saved them from sins and hell. Christ is glad ready to listen any person's prayer ask for forgive of sins. If, a person don't ask Christ for forgive sins, then Christ wouldn't forgive person's sin, unless a person have to ask Christ first.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Southern Baptists believe that a Christian cannot lose his salvation. Our most recent confession of faith states:

The Bible says that all elect people receive eternal life, and they cannot be taken from God:

“All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.” (John 6:37-39)

“But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.” (John 10:26-29)

Only God’s sheep (the elect) will have true faith in Jesus. God chose the elect “before the foundation of the world” and predestined them “to adoption as sons” (Ephesians 1:4-5). God has always known that those “whom He predestined” would also be called, justified, and glorified (Romans 8:30). Thus, the elect will inevitably go to heaven (be glorified) when they physically die. They will receive resurrection bodies and live in a glorious place (glorification). An elect person will never become a non-elect person, and a non-elect person will never become an elect person.

The Bible says that Christians have received the Holy Spirit as a seal and as a pledge:

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22)

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. (Ephesians 4:30)

The seal refers to a mark of approval. God the Father set His seal on God the Son (John 6:27). The Holy Spirit indwells the human spirits of Christians as a pledge of eternal life. In this context, the pledge is a spiritual down payment or earnest money, a guarantee that the Christian will go to heaven. His inheritance is imperishable and is reserved in heaven for him (1 Peter 1:4).

During the regeneration event a person becomes a new creature: “Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come” (2 Corinthians 5:17). He is a new creature because he has been indwelled by the Holy Spirit. A Christian may backslide, but he will never fully return to the old things. The Christian is truly an everlasting creation of God.

Christians can know for certain that they have been adopted by God and have eternal life:

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God. (Romans 8:16)

And the witness is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:11-13)

Christians do not receive eternal life when they physically die; they receive it at the regeneration event. John 3:36 says, “He who believes in the Son has eternal life.” Eternal life is life that cannot be lost. Thus, those who have eternal life cannot lose their salvation.

The Bible says that nothing can separate Christians from God’s love:

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

If Christians can never be separated from God’s love, then we must acknowledge the impossibility of their being burned in the lake of fire for an eternity: “And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire” (Revelation 20:15). Thus, Christians have eternal security. They are indeed everlasting, new creations.

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

As I have already written, whether or not those who have fallen from grace can or can not be subsequently renewed has been the subject of debate going all the way back at least to Tertullian. The Orthodox Churches have believed since the fourth century that renewal is impossible because that would, in their view, require a second baptism which they view as being contrary to Scripture. Many Lutherans and Methodists would argue likewise, but other Lutherans and Methodists would disagree. Denominations that have a less sacramental view of water baptism view the question of renewal subsequent to falling from grace very differently, and these denominations, with the possible exception of some very small denominations whose position on the subject I am not familiar with, do not have an official interpretation. Many individuals in these denominations, and even many Lutherans and Methodists, believe that the falling away in Heb. 6 for which renewal is impossible is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Except for in the Orthodox Churches, there is no consensus of opinion on the renew question.

There are two very important things to take notice of here:

1. There are very many warning in the New Testament of the severe dangers involved in apostasy.

2. If one believes that he or she has blasphemed the Holy Spirit or fallen from grace for some other reason, there is no consensus of opinion that all hope of renewal is lost. If one believes in the gospel, and has a desire to be saved, that person is, in my view, in the state of grace, and that one should not weep from sorrow but weep from joy that for them, at least, it is not too late. Place you faith in Christ as best as you know how and submit to Him as your Lord and your God as best as you can, all the time trusting Him as best as you can to help you in ANY area in which you may come up short. Jesus is more than able and more than willing to save and keep even you.

[​IMG]

5. Craigbythesea

Dwayne,

The Bible does not say that we have to ask Jesus to save us. The Bible says that we need to believe in Jesus. I asked him to save me because I told my friend that I would, and Jesus answered even a flimsy prayer like that. Most certainly he has answered your prayers for him to say you. All you need to do now is believe in Him as best as you can and put your faith into action by doing the things that you know you need to do:

• Pray every day, thanking God for saving you and blessing you, and praying for God to meet the needs of the people whom the Holy Spirit puts upon your heart to pray for. Lastly, pray for any needs that you have in your own life.

• Take some time out every day just to praise God for who He is and for anything else you want to praise Him for. And do this whether you feel like it or not. Simply doing it will help you to feel like it.

• Take some time out of every day to read your Bible. And as you read it, pray that God will teach you His truths and protect you from all error.

• Share Christ with other. Several times in my life I found myself facing the impossible, and at times I have almost been swallowed up in despair, but even in times such as these the Holy Spirit called upon me to minister the Gospel to others—and Dwayne, the joy that comes from obeying God and sharing your faith in times of severe trial is the unspeakable joy that we read of in the Bible.

Jesus paid the price for you sins and He is saying to you, “Dwayne, believe in Me, trust Me.”

Jesus loves you, Dwayne! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Craig, it appears from the documentary evidence below that Greek Orthodox theologians believe a person who has lost his salvation can always be restored. The Methodist and Lutheran documents I found don't provide a really clear picture. With the last Lutheran quote, however, it looks like you were correct about them. Wesley believed that the unpardonable sin was saying that Jesus’ power came from Satan. He did not seem to equate that with deliberate apostasy. I don’t know if he thought that a person who had lost their salvation could ever commit that sin. (The first quote from Wesley may indicate that he did think that way, but it is not perfectly clear in its wording.) He may have thought that it was a sin that could only be committed by a person who had never been a Christian.

1. Greek Orthodox

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7076.asp

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8493.asp

From the Orthodox Creed:

http://www.bible.ca/cr-Orthodox.htm#creed

From the Orthodox Catechism:

http://www.bible.ca/cr-Orthodox.htm#catechism

2. Lutherans

From the Smalcald Articles by Martin Luther (1537), Article IX: Excommunication:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/concord/web/smc-03i.html

From the Augsburg Confession, Article XII, “Of Repentance” (1530):

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/concord/web/augs-012.html

From The Concordia Lutheran, May/June 1994:

http://www.concordialutheranconf.com/clc/cl_articles/CLO_articleDTM_may1994.cfm

3. Methodists

From The Methodist Articles of Religion by Wesley (1784), Article XII:

http://www.godonthe.net/cme/methdist/articles.htm

From Wesley’s sermon number 86, “A Call to Backsliders” (1872):

http://gbgm-umc.org/umhistory/wesley/sermons/serm-086.stm

From Wesley's Explanatory Notes, entry for Matthew 12:31:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/WesleysExplanatoryNotes/wes.cgi?book=mt&chapter=12#Mt12_31

From Wesley's Explanatory Notes, entry for Luke 12:10:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/WesleysExplanatoryNotes/wes.cgi?book=lu&chapter=12#Lu12_10

[ October 17, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: koreahog2005 ]

7. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Craig, I just found a couple of other quotes that indicate you were probably correct about the Greek Orthodox Church:

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7106.asp

http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/misc/litsas_dictionary_orthodox_terminology.htm

8. Craigbythesea

The Lutheran scholar R.C.H. Lenski wrote on Heb. 6:6:

R. C. H. Lenski. The Interpretation of the Epistle to the Hebrews and the Epistle of James. Augsburg Publishing House, 1966. pp. 185-187.

[​IMG]

9. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Craig, thanks for the Lenski quote. I don't have access to his commentary on Hebrews. I heard he talked about hapax applying to all the participles, not just "enlightened" in 6:4. Can you give me that quote?

10. Craigbythesea

Here is the quote:

“We confess that we are unable to see why "once" should not be construed with all the participles save the last, "fell away," which naturally needs no modifying adverb. To say that only the enlightenment is momentary while the other three are durative experiences is to have a wrong conception of the enlightenment.” (p. 182)

[​IMG]

11. Craigbythesea

You may also be interested in Lenski’s translation of Heb. 6:4-6:

For those who were once enlightened and tasted the heavenly gift and became partakers of the Holy Spirit and tasted God's excellent utterance and (his) powers of the eon about to come and fell away, it is impossible again to renew them unto repentance since they are recrucifying the Son of God and exposing him to public ignominy.

[​IMG]

12. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Thanks, Craig. That's very helpful.

13. Craigbythesea

You are most welcome! [​IMG]

[​IMG]