1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lordship Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JRG39402, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I know what she said. What did she mean, though? That God would be unjust if He didn't offer it to all? If so, then that's still obligation. If not, then we have to go down yet another line of reasoning on which we will not agree... ;)

As a wise forum participant pointed out with respect to "HAVING to offer it", where did I say you don't need faith?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith is the substance, evidence of what's hoped for and not seen. Sounds like free will faith to me, and not this "gift" of faith given to the elect to give back that calvinism needs.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Be blessed webdog. ;) I'm not going to argue with you.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WB : I know for a fact that many here on the BB think God has been under obligation to "offer salvation [grace] to all." They do think it is a matter of justice . If the message of the Gospel doesn't sound forth to everyone -- then He is an unjust God . Justice is fairness . But God's mercy is under no obligation . Folks here confuse these things often . Mercy and justice are two distinct categories .

#44 Rippon, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think what they are referring to is the punishment associated without offering grace, not offering grace in itself.

6. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

7. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Calvinism's Irresistible Grace

Calvinism teaches that the Holy Spirit extends a special inward calling, but only to those elected to salvation. Through this calling the sinner is irresistibly drawn to Christ and the Spirit causes the sinner to cooperate. The lost man may have no desire for Christ, no interest in the claims of the gospel, but he has no choice in the matter. Because he has been unconditionally elected for salvation the Spirit puts the choice in his mind, and compels him to respond to the gospel invitation. This irresistible grace cannot be rejected and does not depend on man’s cooperation.

LM

8. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

False Dilemma

IFB:

Well said. And both sides use the "false dilemma" argumentation to bolster their case. This is in my book:

LM

9. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

The Calvinist belierves man can't express repentance or faith, can't particpate in his own salvation in any way, shape or form. Can't respond to the Gospel at all.

The Calvinist believes lost man must first be regenerated, i.e. born again by the Spirit of God first, and only after that has taken place can he express repentance and faith in Christ.

This flows from the 'T' in their T-U-L-I-P "Total Inability."

For more read

LM

10. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

believe it or not, this debate is closely tied with the Free will debates. If you hold to free will theology, Lordship salvation will be equated with works salvation. If you hold to Calvinistic theology, Lordship salvation will be the natural outworking of God's grace on a persons life.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I agree. But that's why I believe it is tied more closely with free-willism. Assuming it is true (I am not arguing for or against), then with Calvinism the natural outworking of God's grace is only a concern AFTER you are already saved. You aren't saved by Lordship, so it would be a misnomer to call it Lordship Salvation.

With free-willism, it becomes part of the magical sinner's prayer and a requirement for being saved. In this case, it is properly called Lordship Salvation.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Strawman. I believe in free will, and I don't believe in a "magical sinners prayer". The thief on the cross said no "magical sinners prayer" and was saved. It's the heart, not the words that matter.

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

This is a good summary of so-called Lordship Salvation.

Luk 9:23 And he said to [them] all, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
    Luk 9:24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
    Luk 9:25 For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?
    Luk 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and [in his] Father's, and of the holy angels.

Christ didn't ask anyone to believe that he existed. Even the demons do that. He asked them to "Come and follow Me." If you think that's works based salvation so be it.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

One doesn't follow Christ unless one has faith first. LS teaches the following of Christ and faith happen BEFORE one is saved. Faith is justification. Following Christ is sanctification, not justification.

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

How does that view relate to the story of the rich young ruler who had faith but wasn't willing to make Christ Lord of his life?

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The context of the rich young ruler is not one of eternal salvation. The context in view is inheritance. He asks about inheriting the kingdom. That is only available to members of the family. He was eternally saved and was curious about his inheritance.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He obviously didn't have faith in Christ...or he would have followed.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Really? Then why did he ask Jesus "what must I do to inherit eternal life?

Luke 18:18
    18And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

Luke 18
    23And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
    24And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

Eternal life=kingdom of God

They are one and the same.

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Owned. ;)

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes.

You answered your own question.

And here's your answer. The whole context is the kingdom. The kingdom of God is equated to the kingdom of the heavens in Matthew. Both of these are speaking of the coming 1,000-year earthly kingdom of The Christ.

Again eternal salvation is not a matter of inheritance.

Once again this just proves that Christendom has equated everything in Scripture that speaks of faith, salvation, eternal life, believe, etc. to eternal salvation. And that is simply not the case.

Another way that we see this is not a context of everlasting life is because he wasn't told to believe he was told to "do" something. This is a works context. Everlasting life is not received by what we do, but by what we believe.

He had faith enough to go and inquire of the person that had the answers. He just didn't want to do what he was told to do. He had faith, because he said he had been following the commandments since he was a child.

The issue is he wanted to live "his" life not live the life the Master had for him.

That's not everlasting life that is discipleship. Discipleship is only for the eternally saved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.