1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lordship Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CF1, Nov 23, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No child of God practices sin and No child of God leaves. If they leave they were not saved. 1John 2:19

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Was hopoing to have some that were more biblical in nature this time!

3. JesusFan

Why can't they "practice sin?"

When they do sin, why do they?

Dores God allow His own people 'free will" to sin, even for a season, but the sign of being a true Christian and not just professing it , is that God DOES judge and chaistese their conduct, and they will eventually all come back to the Shepard of their souls and be fully retored once they confess to God, acknowledge their sins against Him, as in the prodigal son?

4. Herald

Herald New Member

You're asking questions that don't have an easy answer, although there are clues.

Let me pose to you a scenario. Say you know a person who makes a "decision" for Christ. Continuing for a long period of time after their decision the following becomes their regular "practice":

• Hardly ever attends church
    • Does not read the bible
    • Hardly any Christian friends
    • Uses foul language regularly
    • Unfaithful to his/her spouse
    • Unresponsive to biblical confrontation
    • Hardened conscience
    • Unwilling to repent

Would you say this person, by their lifestyle, is practicing sin? I mean, is their life defined by their sin?

Compare this to another scenario; another individual who made a "decision" for Christ and has exhibited the following behaviors for a long period of time:

• Misses once in a while, but comes to church when he/she can
    • Not as faithful in reading as he/she should be, but is regular in reading
    • Many Christian friends
    • Slips of the tongue on occasion, but tries to honor God with his/her speech
    • Has faced temptation but has remained faithful to his/her spouse
    • Has a very tender heart, like David, when confronted
    • Has a tender conscience
    • Often repents when faced with his/her sin
    The second scenario paints a picture of a flawed individual. They sin. In fact, they sin regularly. But they key here is they know they sin and don't make excuses for it. When they are called to repentance, either by the graces of the Word or by a loving Christian friend, they eagerly repent. This is not a person who practices sin even though they commit sin.

I think John had this in mind when he wrote 1 John 3:9. He knew Christians still sinned; but he also knew they were different because of whom they served and because the Holy Spirit lived within them.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let me ask you a question. Do you read what people reply with? I ask that because you keep asking the same questions.

1) because of 1John 3:9 notice the darkened part.
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

2) they choose to

6. JesusFan

your examples would illustarte difference between making aprofession of Christ, yet not actualy having Christ...

Do you hold with Fal that one can be saved, and be enabled by God to not sin, or at least NEVER be found sinning for a time?

7. JesusFan

No disrespect intended, but since you have a novel misunderstanding of the Apostle John in his first Chapter, why would your understanding on this part of his book be any better?

WHAT is "to practice sin?"
    WHAT is the "seed?"
    WHEN would a christian be "cut off" from grace of God?

8. JesusFan

So IF someone professed Jesus, got "caught" up in say an adulerous affair, broke it off, went back to his wife, tried to go back to church, should be told"too bad, not saved?"

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are trying to find ways around the word of God and there are none.
    Whosoever is born of God doth not (practice) commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God

10. Herald

Herald New Member

You're spot on. That is why I believe there is no way a Christian can know Jesus as Savior without knowing Him as Lord. Jesus is both, and His being both is not dependent on whether a person acquiesces to either.

Each Christian is enabled not to sin due to the resident Holy Spirit and their new nature. However, abiding sin continually wars with the new nature. In this life man is frail and will fall into sin just as easily as a leaf moves with the wind. Do I believe a person can reach a state of near sinless perfection in this life? No.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I agree Webdog, and this author's view of 1 John 3:9 is how I always understood it, that no man can possibly sin while in the Spirit (the Absolute view).
    Of course, I read only the KJB as explained in this article.

Here is the article for all.

Yet again another example that the KJB and MVs are not the same and can lead to a different understanding of scripture and doctrine.

#72 Winman, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011