1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Louisiana Baptist/ Liberty Baptist

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul1611, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

I once again have another question about accreditation. I spoke with a lady today from the admissions department at Louisiana Baptist University and asked her a number of questions concerning the school. When the question of accreditation came up she said that they were not accredited, but that there are a number of schools out there that accept Louisiana University credits, such as Liberty University. Now why would Liberty who holds TRACS and I believe SACS accreditation accept college credits from a school that is not accredited? Would it just be certain credits that Liberty would accept, or would all of them be accepted? Or would the classes taken have to be evaluated by Liberty, before they would accept them? Or is it possible that this nice lady from Louisiana could be a little confused about the subject? I just thought it kind of odd that an accredited school would accept credits from an unaccredited school. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Brice

Brice New Member

First, I would say you need to contact the registrars at LU. I am a graduate of Liberty and I can tell you that some classes I transferred in were not used towards my degree (they were from a SACS institution). LBU can’t vouch for Liberty, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they accepted some credit hours. If you are planning on attending grad school, LU has certain standards, but I do know they will accept unaccredited degrees under certain conditions. Something else to consider is that LU is lax when it comes to issues such as these, so they are probably not the norm. Although I love LU, they do not have extremely high academic standards when it comes to acceptance. That being said once you are in the program they are top notch. I wouldn’t recommend doing unaccredited work with the hope of getting into one or two institutions; if they don’t work out, you may be left out in the cold.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally schools can accept/deny credits from any school based on their own policies. Now clearly accreditation will make some demands (etc) but it is not unheard of that credits from non-accredited schools would be accepted by accredited schools. I think there are several issues that need to be looked at:

1. Are you talking about graduate or undergraduate work? Many accredited seminaries will accept students who have a undergraduate degree from an unaccredited school. Such students are usually required to hold a certain gpa (like a B) for a certain number of hours.

2. If it is graduate to graduate then clearly Liberty has determined that LBU's courses meet certain standards. I doubt Liberty would do anything to endanger their accreditation so whatever standards they are using are probably allowed by SACS and TRACS (Liberty does hold both).

3. Liberty and LBU seem to have a relationship. I know that Falwell has spoken at LBU, as has Paige Patterson (of SWBTS). This may mean that LBU, like BJU, has a reputation with other seminaries that allows those schools to honor credits from LBU (Btw...BJU is not TRACS accredited).

4. Talk to Liberty.

5. If you are looking at enrolling in a distance learning program and you are looking at LTS and LBU...go with LTS. I am not saying that simply because I am a graduate of LTS but because LTS is fully accredited. A graduate degree from LTS will enjoy wider acceptance than one from LBU.

Schools can be weird sometimes...thats about the best way I can put it. :thumbs:

#3 Martin, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2006
  4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin Addendum

There is one other circumstance that RA schools consider. I would add this observation ot Martin's list if I may? That is this; sometimes, on a case-by-case basis, the receiving school will allow credits or a degree from a non-RA school.

They will admit the student on "academic probation" for at least one semester or term. If the student can do, let's say "C" or "B" work then they can be admitted if all of the other admissions criteria are in place. I have seen this happen on more than just one occasion.

But, the receiving school always has the last word on what they accept even if the transferred credits or degree is from an RA institution.

My 2 cents worth!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was one of the "exceptions", with a BA degree from a non-accredited Bible College and then seeking a BS degree from the University of Wisconsin. They accepted 100 credits "tentatively", dependent on my completion of the 28 credits lacking in their program.

Found out I was a "test case" as to whether they would allow others from our new college (Maranatha BBC) to transfer credits to UW. I passed!! And Maranatha later used this as it sought and gained full accreditation that my chidren (all accredited MBBC alum) enjoy.

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Is LBU a good school in general? What can I learn about this school from this forum?

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

---

It is hard to answer "in general."

LBU is not "good" enough to become accredited by a recognized accreditor.

My impression is that graduate programs at LBU in Bible/Theology are not very rigorous. I looked at the LBU web catalogue the day before yesterday. I was amazed when looking at the faculty list to NOT see the schools named from which the professors earned their advanced degrees! That , IMO, is a red flag.

IMO good distance education is much based on the quality and the quantity of interaction between the student and the DE prof. But the prof can only lead the student through a level of rigor that that he/she him/herself has experienced. So, other things being equal, if a prof has chosen the easier , unaccredited, route to become academically qualified to teach, then he/she is not ready to teach at the level of rigor that a prof with an accredited doc is ready to teach.

That is one reason why LBU cannot become accredited as the recommendation of an accreditor as TRACS is that the prof of grad courses has an ACCREDITED PhD/ThD in the area of instruction.

Personally, think courses in praxis might be taught by experienced people. 30 years of successful pastoring IMO helps to qualify one to teach pastoring, BUT it does not qualify one to teach grad level Theology, Bible, languages, or church history--IMO!

IMO LBU is a better choice than many other unaccredited schools as Covington, Andersonville, Bethany of Dothan, or Golden State.

Have you considered that (1) there are inexpensive (comparatively) schools in South Africa ,as The South African Theological Seminary, which offer the equivalent of regionally accredited theological programs completely by distance education at a cost very competitive with unaccredited USA schools as LBU, or, (2) that some USA TRACS accredited schools offer programs for as little as $150 per q. hour?

God's blessing on your search.

Bill

#7 UZThD, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006