1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Louisiana Baptist University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jason Gastrich, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Jason Gastrich

Jason Gastrich New Member

I've been attending LBU for over a year and it's an excellent university. I finished my M.A. with them and I've been working on my Ph.D. in Biblical Studies. See the alumni page I made for them: http://jcsm.org/LBU/LBUAlumni.htm . The university's page is at http://lbu.edu .

If you have any questions about the uni, just let me know. They have a new campus in Shreveport, but I take extension courses from San Diego.

God bless,
    Jason

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Jason,

Thank you for posting this informative link. [​IMG]

3. RandR

RandR New Member

Do you know how many students are on campus or "traditional" versus extension?

What is the library like?

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I visited the LBU website and found several things that were passing strange and intriguing. Firstly, most of the faculty have their graduate degrees from LBU. Since it takes a doctor to make a doctor, who make all these LBU doctors? Secondly, there are several diploma mills represented in the faculty vita. It causes you to wonder about their rigor and academic integrity. Thirdly, I found the two following statements on the LBU website and the ACCS website respectively:

“DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM
    In cooperation with the American Christian College and Seminary of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, LBU now offers a dual degree program for a Masters in Education. American Christian College and Seminary is accredited by TRACS and is approved by ACSI. This will assist our students in receiving teacher certification by ACSI.
    In order for students to receive the dual degree they must complete 18 semester hours through LBU then complete the last eighteen semester hours through ACCS. All courses will be administered by LBU.”

“American Christian College and Seminary (ACCS) cannot award credit or grant degrees. Transfer of courses from ACCS to other institutions is at the discretion of the receiving institution.”

The interesting hook is that TRACS does not list ACCS as an accredited institution on their website. Strange? Did ACCS have TRACS accreditation and lose it (I think they did). So, how does this affect the dual degree? BTW, ACCS was the distance ed school started by R.V. Corvin (charismatic background) if I remember correctly but it has undergone a few name changes. Dr. Corvin had an earned doctorate but his school was pretty much a one man operation, not sufficient for academic doctorates. When I spoke with him on the telephone a few years ago, he was elderly and the school was in some kind of transition.

My opinion is that if you want to learn about the Bible and gain useful knowledge for serving the Lord, attend a good fundamental, Baptist Bible (not BBF) college. If you just want a degree so you can impress everyone and they can call you doctor, doctor—buy a good quality paper from Staples and print your own fancy degree—it’ll be worth about as much at a much less price.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

What's the relationship of LBU and CBU (Christian Baptist University)? Did CBU change its name to LBU?

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Did Thomas Ice get his doctor from LBU?

7. Jason Gastrich

Jason Gastrich New Member

Thanks to paidagogos for the PM. I didn't remember to return to this thread.

You could call them and ask. The have over a thousand between the campus and external programs. I forget the exact number, though.

I live in San Diego and take external courses, so I haven't seen their library. It is new and supposed to be very nice, though. I donated some books to it and got AIG to donate some as well.

The proof is in the pudding. What are their graduates doing with their LBU education? Did you see the list of alumni?

I'm unaware of these diploma mills. You should define diploma mills. Some people use the phrase carelessly and inappropriately. For instance, many atheists call Patriot University a diploma mill because Kent Hovind got his doctorate there. However, PU requires students to take a good number of courses and write lengthy papers and a thesis/dissertation. It does not qualify as a diploma mill. Attacking the credentials of the LBU staff without providing some support isn't very nice. You should back up your statements with proof.

I'm unaware of the dual degree program. However, simply because a web site doesn't list a school, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't belong on the site. You should get better proof if you want to allege what you're alleging.

In my opinion, the most important thing about a school is their statement of beliefs. There are a great number of regionally accredited seminaries that I'd never attend because of the things they believe (or don't believe) about Christ and the Bible.

After you analyze their statement of belief, then you need to consider why you're getting the degree and your career/spiritual goals. You should be able to determine whether or not a degree at LBU or any other university will be a good fit for you.

LBU is a great fit for me. I enjoy it for countless reasons. I'd be happy to share if anyone wishes to know.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. Consider contacting LBU and asking them.

Yes.

God bless,
    Jason