1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Louisiana Officials Could Lose the Blame Game

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Sep 7, 2005.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is plenty of blame to go around here.

The Mayor failed miserably to have a plan, and to execute that plan. NO had 5 days warning that the hurricane would either make a direct hit or a near miss. The Mayor did nothing. When it was obvious the hurricane was going to hit he failed to act decisively and order an evacuation, and to provide the means of evacuating to those who didn't have transportation. The city and school buses could accommodate 150,000 people, but they sat in their garages. (Also, why does almost all the TV footage show cars on the streets and in parking lots and in driveways? If there was no way to evacuate, why are all those cars there?)

Next, the Governor failed to act decisively after the Hurricane struck. It was her responsibility to ask for federal assistance. She not only failed to do so, but refused to allow federal management of the evacuation and rescue efforts. She put her political life ahead of the lives of the people in greatest need.

And lastly, FEMA. What can I say? When the federal government was reorganized, FEMA was placed under DHS. That may have looked good on paper, but the two agencies have entirely different missions, responsibilities, and goals. FEMA was not given permission by DHS to act until it was almost too late. FEMA must be taken away from DHS and allowed to be a free standing agency. The delay while DHS tried to make up its (alleged) mind probably resulted in the deaths of innocent people. I think legislation is now pending to remove FEMA from DHS control, but, unfortunately, President Bush will likely oppose that legislation. He is wrong. FEMA must not be fettered by restrictions placed on it by DHS. It has to act in the best interests of the victims of the disaster, not in the (supposed) interests of national security.

Plenty of blame to go around. Everybody dropped the ball. Now, let's stop playing partisan politics and, instead of fixing the blame, maybe we should all work toward fixing the problem!

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

True, but there's also plenty of blaming of a person for a mountain when the situation was a molehill. The FEMA director could have done better. However, I don't think he should be fired. Bush sould have done better, but I think he did reasonably. The Governor of Louisiana and Mayor of New Orleans most definitely could have done things differently. But they did not do things poorly.

3. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

I think he should be, and FEMA dismantled.

FEMA's blocking relief effort:

http://rense.com/general67/femwont.htm

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you actually read that stuff. Most of it is fake. And the one that they admit is real is right.

As to the truth, several fire/rescue trucks from the San Diego Fire Department are already in NO doing search and rescue. They send back daily reports to the news agencies here. My son-in-law's squadron flew several C135 loads of emergency supplies into NO over the past several days, then, on the last trip, flew SAR people and equipment, and stayed to assist in the effort.

Why in the world would anybody want to make up stories to advance their political agenda at the expense of the victims of this terrible disaster?

5. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

6. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had the author done his homework he would have noticed that the southern, coastal, counties were already declared to be emergency zones the day before the northern counties were named.

8. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

TCassidy:

"(Also, why does almost all the TV footage show cars on the streets and in parking lots and in driveways? If there was no way to evacuate, why are all those cars there?)"

That is an EXCELLANT point. I wish that I could have come up with something like that, but I never thought about. Thanks! Good job!! [​IMG]

9. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

The author did his homework, you did not do yours.

Evacuation orders were given for the coastal counties in LA and MI before the storm struck, coastal LA counties were not declared emergency zones or were they included in the Declaration of Emergency Aug 26. The LA coastal counties were included in the declared Federal Disaster Assitance after the storm but not in the Declaration of Emergency that preceded it.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/20050829-2.html

Statement on Federal Disaster Assistance for Louisiana

The President today declared a major disaster exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement State and local recovery efforts in the area struck by Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 29, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action makes Federal funding available to affected individuals in the parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana. Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

Federal funding is available to State and eligible local government in the parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana for debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance.

Federal funding also is available to State and eligible local governments in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, Desoto, East Carroll, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, and Winn for emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance.

For a period of up to 72 hours, Federal funding is available at 100 percent of the total eligible costs for emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance. The period of up to 72 hours at 100 percent excludes debris removal.

Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures in St. Mary, St. Tammany and Ouachita Parishes.

Representing the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, named William Lokey as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area.

The Agency said that damage surveys are continuing in other areas and more counties and additional forms of assistance may be designated after the assessments are fully completed in the affected areas.

The Agency said that those who sustained losses in the counties designated for aid to affected individuals and business owners can begin applying for assistance tomorrow by registering online at http://www.fema.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week until further notice.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong again. The Governor declared the coastal state of emergency on the 26th. The President added the other counties on the 27th to increase the amount of federal disaster funds available to the state.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was the one thing that kept bothering me as I watched the news accounts. All those people saying "we were trapped, we had no way to get out" and all those cars on the streets and in the driveways.

12. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Well, now there will be those that say that they were too poor for gas.<sigh>

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they probably will. They have enough gas to go to the ball game. To the tavern. To the rock concert. To just about anywhere, but to save their family's lives? Nope.

Actually, I tend to think they just didn't take the warnings seriously. There have been at least 3 or 4 false alarms in the not to distant past. They probably thought this was just another false alarm like the last 3 or 4 times. Unfortunately it was not only not a false alarm, it was worse than the alarm said it would be.

14. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I know from experience that all to many in hurricane effected areas do tend to have that attitude. Or it won't be that bad. I do think this season might have changed some minds.

I live on the coast and if something happened to my home/things, I shoudn't be surprised or when it happens try to find someone to blame and put my life back together. Or make it better than it was. It was MY choice to live here. I don't feel the tax payers in other states should try to make me whole. That is what I have insurance for. And if I couldn't afford insurance to help myself out, I should find another place to live.

LIVING ON THE GULF OR THE COAST WILL MOST LIKELY MEAN DEALING WITH A HURRICANE!!!!!! If that will be a problem for you, move. There is a big country out there.

People need to take PERSONAL responsibility for themselves and quit waiting for the world, which many think owns them, to fix their problem.

I think I am on a rampage tonight. Maybe too much caffiene. LOL

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I live in southern California. As everybody knows, California is subject to catastrophic earthquakes. I chose to live here. My safety, and that of my family, is my responsibility. We are prepared. We have food and water in storage, and a means to leave if the quake is so bad the infrastructure is so badly damaged it will not be able to support us in a reasonable time. Nobody is responsible for me and my family except me. [​IMG]

16. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

I was incorrect on the date of the Declaration of Emergency, it was the 27th not the 26th. The coastal counties are not included.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/20050827-1.html

TCassidy, post a government Declaration of Emergency for the coastal counties on the 26th.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the LA governor's statement of 8-26.

18. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

The state of emergency issued 8-26 by Gov. Kathleen Blanco is available in the following Katrina timeline. The Federal government did not declare one for the coastal counties.

http://www.thinkprogress.org/katrina-timeline

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

How do you know most of it is fake if you don't read it? :confused:

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to revise the title to "Local officials have lost the blame game."

Major media outlets keep giving them a pass so they can continue to bash Bush, but to thinking people, the game is over and local officials have lost.

Now all they're doing is acting like a cat in a litter box.